“Good location, good value”

Novotel Edinburgh Centre
Ranked #70 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 13 January 2010

I always like Novotel for their kid friendliness. They often come in with a heated pool, a kids area including playstation or xbox 360 etc, good double sofa beds in the same room, and free breakfast. Plus on the odd occasion when we eat at Novotels, kids have a healthy selection that is attractive (a difficult accomplishment by any measure!). As a result I find them to be some of the best value for money around for a family of four.

This Novotel is an average to the ones I've been (Novotel Gare de Lyon in France being the best so far). Its endearing qualities are that it is walking distance (or a GBP4 taxi trip away from the royal mile and princes street).

Rooms: This holiday was in two parts so I had two different rooms, one for each leg of the holiday. The first room I had was faultless. The second room had the large safe unhinged and could be locked and then pulled out and taken lock-stock-and-barrel out of the room. Good thing I realised, but room staff where so efficient in dealing with it. The bathroom in the second room had mould in the shower where there was plastic grout (silicon) running top to bottom in two corners. I know this is the result of the type of silicon used, but it would not have been too difficult for maintenance to wipe off with some anti-fouling or mould removal spray. Reduced the overall sparkle of the hotel. The daily changing staff were immaculate. Very courteous and thorough at what they do.

Concierge: The hotel does not have a concierge. However, when we asked reception a question about the zoo, one fine young lady whose name is Cashmira More (hope I remembered the name tag well :) gave us an exceptional service, phoning the zoo twice for us and suggesting alternatives (the zoo was closed due to inclement wheather), and ensuring the alternative was open and giving us clear directions. Great service, and makes me want to return.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,685)

Reviewed 12 January 2010

I spent 5 days at this hotel. It is a good hotel, maybe somehow featureless, but with a good location, only a 5 minute walk from the grassmarket area and a 10 minute walk to the castle and royal mile. the room was clean, large, quite but very cold. I asked the reception to repair the heating but, even if they said to have repaired it, it continued to be too cold. It was strange to have in the room two separate bathrooms: one with the lavatory and an other one with shower and a bath. The furniture in the room was really basic and not quite of a 4 stars hotel. But I had a good view from the room. The breakfast was good, with plenty of choice. I really enjoyed the fitness centre and the relax room, with a small pool, sauna and Jacuzzi as, when I was there, I was the only person, there was nobody else.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 December 2009

we have just spent three wonderful nights in this hotel . we were on the 5th floor and did not experience any noise or disruption at all.the staff were very friendly and helpful .the hotel is in a great location for all the attractions and is only a 5 minute walk from the lively grassmarket area and a 10 minute walk to the castle and royal mile .we would definatly stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 December 2009

Twice I have stay at this hotel last year and this year. After complaining about the noises and no room service for two days. The hotel gave us a two night break free in a quiet room, but the joke was on me from the hotel, the room there gave me was room 446 next door to the services lift and stairs, the room facing the back entrance of the kitchen, trollys being pushed outside with dirty laundry, laundry trucks, bins empty from the kitchen from very early morning until late at night, trollys being pushed about .
Don't expected a nice morning swim, children unsupervised by parents, jumping in, driving in.
Breakfast cold both mornings no better than a truck cafe, only better surroundings.

Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank jean87
Reviewed 1 December 2009

We visited the hotel in the past for a business trip and had a pleasant stay.
In Oct 2009 we made a booking but we had to modify the booking. The modification has been announced timely, however for the cancelled date we had to pay the full price.
Complaints did not help; no refund, no discount for future stay or other compensation has been offered.
Furthermore it is not in line with there cancellation policy on their own website.
So ask for cancellation policy before you make a reservation.

Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank Robert-Jan d
Reviewed 31 October 2009

Just returned from a 2 night stay at the Novotel in Edinburgh Centre. The hotel is in an excellent location close to Grassmarket. The room was what you would expect from a Novotel- clean and functional. It appeared to have been newly re-furbished. We made use of the pool which whilst busy at times was a nice bonus for a city centre hotel. What particularly impressed us about this Novotel and made it stand out from others we have stayed in were the staff. Without exception from our arrival to our departure they were helpful and friendly even remembering our name and room number. At check in we were warned that the hotel was full and that breakfast would be busy after 8:30. As a result we arrived early both mornings and enjoyed an excellent breakfast; grateful for the advice we had been given. We will definitely stay again next time we visit Edinburgh and would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 October 2009

I stayed in Novotel Edinburgh Centre in July 2007. My room was very big, breakfast was excellent and the overall service as well. The only problem I had to cope with was the Internet Connection. I could not get connected and that was a trouble for me because I had to check my email for profesionnal reasons.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business