“Great service, good location but needs some tlc”
Review of Ardmillan Hotel

Ardmillan Hotel
Ranked #135 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

Staying one night on business.
With the recent heat wave we've had I was expecting the room to be sweltering but no, nice temp and had a good nights sleep.
The reception on arrival was really good and when I was having probs with the tv remote, she was able to resolve it.
I stayed in room 3, front facing with 2 x single beds, dressing table, cupboard, tv and en suite. The carpet could do with a vac but the bedding seemed nicely almost starched whites (nice). Laying on the bed I could see the ceiling paper was coming loose over one of the beds and on the stairs coming up, there are areas where the carpet is shred bare. Watch out as the walls are rather, no, very thin and I could hear next door's discussions, tv and snoring. But with my snoring, I'm sure I got my own back.
The breakfast was ok but they told me I still had a bill outstanding when it was booked thru the company system. Luckily I'd got a copy of the fax they had received and showed them it and I was off b

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Bobz42
ArdmillanUddingston, Owner at Ardmillan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2015

Hi and thank you for your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and happy to tell you that room has now been completely redecorated! Hope when you return you will approve. All the best!

Reviewed 19 May 2013

The Ardmillan Hotel is basically a local pub with rooms above and a restaurant to the rear. Access to the centre of Edinburgh is only 20 minutes walk and there are regular buses running with a bus-stop only 100 metres away. Breakfast was served in the restaurant and was good value. Some rooms have shared facilities. Room 7 on the top floor was a basic twin, small, but comfortable enough for a budget room. The local bar downstairs showed Sky Sports with main soccer games in the evenings. By no means a luxury hotel, but it is clean and tidy and serves a purpose. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again if working in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Paul D

Thank-you for your review Paul and hopefully we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 9 May 2013

At Christmas time, my friend and I concocted a plan. I would buy my partner two tickets to see Dirty Dancing at the Edinburgh Playhouse in January. He would buy his wife tickets to see Ghost in May at the same venue. The girls are friends so we assumed one would take the other to her show and later on the other would return the favour, leaving us with two successful and thoughtful gifts, two happy women and - most importantly - two nights off the hook that we could spend in the pub. What happened? I was dragged to Dirty Dancing. He's being dragged to Ghost. There's probably a moral here somewhere.

Anyway, we stayed at the Ardmillan Hotel as it's the sister of a hotel in Moffat where we eat quite regularly on our way south and it was recommended to us by the owners. It's a very different beast to its sprawling country cousin. It's a hotel about a mile or so from the city centre. Two large Victorian piles knocked through by a massive bar and with a dining room extending out the back; it's an intimate and friendly place.

We had booked bed and breakfast at the Ardmillan and first impressions were favourable when we found that it actually has its own parking - something of a rarity in Edinburgh - and offroad too, which was a nice bonus. As a small hotel, the staff there are multitask masters and the lady who checked us in also served us both a few drinks before we went to the show and also the few nightcaps we had after it, by which point we were on first-name terms. I love this about smaller hotels: the residents' bar was also the locals' bar and we throughly enjoyed meeting some of them who were curious, friendly and clearly well used to welcoming guests. It was like they were bonus staff.

Our room was a rear-facing double and was immaculately clean and very comfortable. I had a very good sleep due, in part, to the complete silence in the streets. The location is really very residential and residential in the reasonably moneyed Edinburgh sense and we didn't hear a peep from anywhere.

Our breakfast the next day we served in the dining room and was plentiful, fresh, hot and welcoming. A great start to the day. The money we saved by booking a mile out of the centre made this hotel a tremendous bargain and we were entirely satisfied with our stay. We'll be using this place again.

Room Tip: Doesn't seem to matter. The place was so quiet!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank-you so much for your well written and wonderful review!!

Reviewed 18 March 2013

Perfect hotel for exploring the city as it's cheap and does the job very nicely. We were a school party attending a conference in Edinburgh, so just needed somewhere to sleep really. The staff were very accommodating, particularly as we had such a big group of 16-18 year olds.
My room was great - it had a wonderful comfy bed and was spotlessly clean. Not the most luxurious hotel, but had everything you need and we were just using it as a base.
Breakfast was fantastic - all cooked fresh, with any combination of options available - and the service was quick and efficient, particularly as we had to be out of the hotel by a certain time each day.
The bar is great and well-priced, although some of our students found it a little noisy if they were in rooms directly above the bar and trying to get an early night.
Friendly, helpful atmosphere, free wifi, good food - we were very happy there for the weekend.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Suzie C

Suzie thank-you for your kind words. Delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 8 March 2013

Traditional Scottish atmosphere in the bar(very busy with friendly local people) with great and helpfull Staff. Rooms are lovely and clean,stayed in 3 of them. Can highly reccomend this place to stop when visiting Edinburgh!!! Can't wait to our return visit in August!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Boguslaw L

Thankyou for your 'Just Brilliant' review!

Reviewed 9 February 2013

Stayed 2 nights in a double room. Flat screen digital tv, very comfy bed, bedroom and bathroom spotless. Enjoyed a few Belhaven beers in the bar... Highly recommended! All staff very friendly and helpful, makes all the difference. Got a great deal by phoning the hotel directly, they undercut online price. We will be back in the summer.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Paulo177
Reviewed 16 January 2013

I stayed here recently on trip to Scotland with friends/colleagues. What a great hotel this is! I was there with three other men on a business/pleasure trip and we found the atmosphere to be so home from home, especially after a day of conferences in the Capital city of Edinburgh. The food was wonderful, lots of typical Scottish fare which we were all eager to try and so impressed by and the bar at night was busy and friendly and had live music with a traditional Scottish singer one night who was impressively good. We talked to lots of locals who use the bar in the evenings and made some new friends (and business contacts). This is a family run hotel and it shows in the atmosphere as the staff were so friendly and even remembered all our (hard to pronounce) names with ease every night. The room was clean, comfortable and warm after coming in from the cold. I would give this hotel a huge recommendation if you need a hotel in Edinburgh.
Stefano Carlomagno, Pisa, Italy.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business