“Convenient, but in need of upgrade”

Canon Court Apartments
Portree, United Kingdom
“Convenient, but in need of upgrade”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Our first impression was good as we were given a free upgrade to a 2 bedroomed apartment, convenient with a teenage daughter! It is in a convenient position being a 20-30 minute walk to reach Princes Street, with lots of buses available for those unable to manage that; lovely 'Earthy' shop almost next door and lots of other eateries around, as well as a Tesco Express.
Unfortunately the beds were all uncomfortable, needing either mattress toppers or new mattresses all round, so little sleep was had by any of us.
The kitchen although easy to work in, was under equipped, with no peeler and no tea pot, among others. The chair and sofa in the living room are very soggy, and the dining chairs are little better, so we didn't spend long in them.

Room Tip: Excellent shower in apartment 81 may be worth putting up with creaky floors, but not the uncomfortab...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Great value. Good quality rooms. Ideal for city break. Bus to city centre frequent and cheap £1.50. Great place for breakfast nearby The Circle. Self catering but range of options nearby. Ranging fromTesco store to organic grocers. Several places to eat and bars.

Room Tip: Book early for great deals.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We use these apartments frequently when we stay in Edinburgh. They are spacious and clean and the staff are tremendously friendly. Whilst I agree that they are a little dated in places and the hot water can be a little tricky, they represent excellent value for money. They are also well placed for getting about town and there are some great little restaurants and bars in the immediate locality. The Spar in the petrol station is also useful as it stays open so late and the deli at Earthy is jam packed with 'treat' food. Personally I don't object paying for the car parking, it's brilliant that the apartments have a car park and £10 per night is cheaper than most 24 hour parking in Edinburgh and certainly a great deal less than getting a ticket!

Room Tip: Ask for Building Two.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night for a family get together with my partner & sister. We chose this due to the location & price. Check in is 14.00, check out is 10.00 which was disappointing, however the receptionist was very accommodating and let us check out at 11.00. There is usually a £10 charge per hour over check out time which we found out afterwards. Seeing as though we had travelled 5 hours there and another back, we were grateful of another hour in bed. Apartment bedrooms are modern, clean & spacious however the rest of the apartment was very dated & grubby. There was a huge stain in the entrance way which let off a smell of sick & another large stain in the lounge. The shower head was mouldy & dirty. The location of the hotel was fairly good for many amenities however the 24 hour petrol station directly adjacent would suggest a small black out blind which there wasn't & affected sleep. Paying for parking & admin ontop of the room booking was not good value. Overall requires a refurb to match room standard.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank VMMT53
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I wouldn't recommend staying here, I found that although the hotels were moderately decorated, the whole experience was ruined by the rude staff, early check out time and noisy neighbours.

I found that the property was overpriced for what we usually pay and we visit Edinburgh at least 7-8 a year.

Stay elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Hawick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I stayed at the Canon Court Apartments for 2 nights and for the money, I think it's excellent. I had a one bedroom apartment, room 22 on the first floor. The apartment was clean and well equipped, quiet and warm, had everything I needed for my stay and no problems at all. The location is perfect, just far enough out of the city centre to be quiet but close enough to walk in, takes about 20 minutes to the bus station. There's a bus stop right outside if people don't want to walk though. Tesco just 150m away for food supplies!

Things I noticed that could be better.....the sofa was incredibly uncomfortable......I think it's just old and a bit worn out. The double bed was actually two single beds pushed together, not ideal but comfy enough. The fire door in the hall bangs shut when people go through it without holding on to it while it closes, think the "closer" on it just need adjusting......someone seemed to go in and out a lot in the mornings, I was up but my other half was trying to sleep.

Overall the apartment was really good, the negatives are more points for the owner to note rather than points that should put other potential guests off. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. Much more comfortable than a being in one room in a hotel, I liked the extra space and being able to cook and relax with a movie was a real plus.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
New Yorker in UK
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Wifey and I stayed at Canon Court during a last minute Hogmanay trip. Needles to say it is difficult to find a room in Edinburgh a few days before New Years Eve, so we were glad to find this one.

We liked that the room was very clean and comfortable and that the hotel was relatively close to the city center (less than a mile I would say). Also the lady at reception was very friendly and helpful.

My only disappointment was that it is billed as luxury accommodation but in reality is more like an over-priced basic flat. We were very underwhelmed when we walked in. Definitely expected more for the price paid. I understand that every hotel in Edinburgh is overpriced during the big events so I'm not going to dwell on that too much. However, I did find it an unwelcome surprise to find that they add a 3.5% surcharge if you pay with a credit card.

Room Tip: Taxis add a 20% surcharge if you have the hotel call one for you... better if you just hail one outs...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple