“Edinburgh jewel not to be missed”
Review of Ardmor House

Ardmor House
Ranked #91 of 396 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Having stayed previously at Ardmor House in different seasons, it was a real pleasure to be resident over the Christmas and New Year period, since the welcome by Robbie was especially warm and marked by his famous, and generous hospitality. Ardmor House is a stylish home designed to make guests comfortable immediately, and together with the attractively designed bedrooms, ( tv and free wi-fi ) comfortable beds and a varied breakfast menu to suit all tastes, including vegetarian, served in the sunny dining room, I felt very comfortable and happy in this elegant and chic Scottish home from home. Points I especially noted are: the immaculate bedding and spotless en suite shower room, Robbie's attention to detail, including cheerfully answering innumerable questions about Edinburgh, offering helpful travel and dining out tips, the well placed bus stops outside Ardmor House, with a frequent bus service to take you up very quickly to Princes Street or other destination, and my special favorite breakfast choice ( very hard to choose with the variety of choice ) - my tip : don't miss the homemade Scottish Raspberry Jam ( preserves ). I found the reservation process and arrival welcome a great start to my stay, and this relaxing atmosphere continued until my departure. I especially noted the pleasant and efficient staff, who assist Robbie in the day to day, and traditional touches like the morning newspaper in the Dining room and the digital radio in each room - together with his partner Barry, Robbie offers a charming environment for guests to enjoy the beautiful City of Edinburgh, and at a very competitive price representing excellent value for money. Ardmor House is a jewel and I hope to return soon to enjoy this exceptional hospitality.

Room Tip: In my opinion all the large double bedrooms are equally attractive, light sleepers might request the...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Roger1611

Reviewed 30 April 2013 via mobile

Beautiful room and house, super friendly hosts, and really delicious breakfast. My first tripadvisor review - felt compelled to write this since Robin and Barry have such a warm, stylish and wonderful guesthouse!

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Milesnyc
Reviewed 30 April 2013

This is not your average guest house. The superior and quality attention to detail was the best anyone can offer. I stayed for three night and my only regret was that it was not longer. The room was very comfortable and very clean. Each morning you are greeted with a friendly staff with a custom ordered breakfast that tastes much better than most restaurants. Please consider this house as your first choice in comfortable lodging.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank newsboy89
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Had a wonderful weekend at Ardmor house, rooms are well decorated with a little bit of luxury, and the hosts are attentive without being intrusive. Location is walkable from the city centre if you fancy stretching your legs, or the bus goes from just outside.
I will be back again when I'm next in Edinburgh, even if it's just for the breakfast, which was cooked to perfection which ever you chose.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emma H
Reviewed 8 April 2013

My husband and I spent 2 nights at this B&B and we thought it was really lovely. We stayed in an upstairs room that faced the front. I think it was room 4 but Im not sure. At the top of the stairs its the second door on the left. We saw only one other room up there and while it was really nice as well we preferred ours. The house is small, but the room is big. Its spacious with a nice big comfortable bed and also a little lounging couch by the windows, which are large and beautiful. The view is fine, nothing special. Its across from a park but its just ok. The bathroom was really nice with a good shower. There were nice little touches and we thought that the decor was really well done. Tasteful. The breakfast was good and the couple that runs it are both very very nice and warm people. It felt a little far from the old city but its not really a problem. We either walked or took a short taxi. There are a ton of other B&Bs on this street so I guess its a popular area for that. Its a very nice place and a high quality B&B. I dont think we would go back to Edinburgh but if we did we would be happy to stay there again, we felt it was very well priced. The only thing I would say is that we peeked into the room downstairs and be warned- its TINY and no privacy because everyone who enters the house can see right into the window. Personally I would not stay in there. Upstairs is great though!

Room Tip: The downstairs room is way too small in my opinion and not private enough. Upstairs all looked good...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank manayiotos
Reviewed 6 April 2013

As soon as I entered, I was greeted and welcomed by name. I was given a nice cool drink while I filled in some details. Robin showed me to my room where soothing classical music was playing. On the pillow I found two home made Scottish sweets, labelled "Scottish Tablets" from Ardmor House. The bed was full of lovely cushions, so I just sank into the bed and fell asleep.....

Breakfast is like christmas morning, all of the gems are laid out like presents at christmas time, cheese, marmite, cereal, jams.... and you can still choose from the menu. Day 1 I had the scrambled egg with smoked salmon, day two I had a lovely friend egg with veggie sausages and mushrooms. If you want to judge cooking, see how someone fries an egg, this was not only perfect, but super fresh and plump! How does a friend egg taste when made with love? Answer: You just have to try here!

The entire place oozes love, from the warm welcome, the lush bedrooms and vera the dog. I didn't see as much of Edinburgh as I had wished, but I don't mind, this house has a huge warming embrace, like a giant hug making you want to stay.

Please take note of the suggestions, all carefully typed and collected in a folder, I went to one of the restaurants in their list TOP!

My conclusion is, if you want a romantic weekend, or if you soul was just tired like mine I would go there and enjoy the warmth you won't regret it!

Room Tip: Go for on suite even if solo, treat yourself you deserve it!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank seustace2003
Reviewed 30 March 2013

The key ingredient to Ardmor House are the boys who own and run it and their faithful "assistant" Vera (a lovely wee Schnoodle). Their suggestions regarding local restaurants were spot-on.

On top of that are the amazing hot breakfasts which were all delicious. The most memorable were the potato waffles with smokey bacon, and the scrambled eggs with smoked salmon. There were also all manner of breads, pastries and home baked muffins as well as cereals of almost every kind. The plunger coffee was another highlight.

I stayed in room number one which overlooked Pilrig Park across the road. It has a very comfortable bed and the most brilliant red floor to ceiling length curtains. The room also has a TV and tea and coffee making facilities. The ensuite bathroom was very modern.

Personally I thought the location was great especially as there is literally a very frequent local bus service at the door. The view of the park was lovely especially after snow had fallen.

I must also mention the magic "cleaning fairy" that tidies up your room and makes your bed while you are having breakfast. A very pleasant surprise. An equally pleasant surprise was meeting Vera who seems to adore all her house guests.

I can't recommend Ardmor House highly enough! Do yourself a favour and stay at Ardmor House.

Room Tip: I enjoyed having a room facing the street and the park.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo