“Do not stay anywhere else. Everything you've read is true!”

The Chester Residence
Ranked #1 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Los Angeles
“Do not stay anywhere else. Everything you've read is true!”
Reviewed 4 November 2011

This is the only place to stay in Edinburgh as far as I'm concerned. Spent 3 nights there in early October, 2011, and can say with confidence, I'd never stay anywhere else in Edinburgh. The location is excellent--what looks a little "remote" on a map is in fact close by everything. Plus, the value is unsurpassed. We stayed in 8/1 (ground floor) which they configured with twin beds at our request. Decor was contemporary and comfortable. Having more than a room, (oh, so much more!) made us feel like residents rather than tourists. And residents in a very stylish apartment.

Staff are all wonderful; very eager to help with recommendations and/or reservations. Friends were staying in a nearby hotel paid more for far less. I highly recommend making The Chester Residence your home while in Edinburgh. I'm hoping they open other locations!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We found this hotel on Trip Advisor, and given the extremely positive reviews thought we'd try it out. My wife and I stayed in the penthouse rooms for two nights, and I have to say I was sorry we'd not decided to stay for longer. Whenever we're back in Edinburgh we'll be sure to stay here again.

We arrived by train, and from Haymarket station the hotel's a realistic 10-minute walk, something that was fine with wheeled cases. The location is in a quiet, grand street - certainly something pretty impressive on arrival. A nice young doorman immediately led us to the check-in area and took care of our cases, while the girl on reception told us about the hotel and then showed us to our suite. There's no elevator, so view the three flights of stairs as an invitation to indulge in the Edinburgh cuisine.

The suite was simply impressive, certainly one of the plushest hotel experiences I've had so far. We had a large bedroom (with large plasma TV), huge bathroom (with double-sized bath and LCD TV in the wall), a good-sized kitchen and a large living room (with enormous plasma TV). So that's three TVs (and a DVD player) in one apartment. Crazy!

Unfortunately we were only staying for a couple of nights, so didn't have a chance to discover everything that was on offer. The memory-foam pillows or the breakfast choices will have to wait until our next stay. But one thing I did discover is the hotel has a library of around 200 DVD movies that can be freely borrowed. With so few rooms I think the staff get to know the guests, and so things just seem a little more relaxed than at regular hotels. For example, on checkout, the receptionist had remembered all the things we'd told her two days earlier (purpose of stay, where we were going next, etc). I thought that was a nice touch.

In summary, it's unconventional, relaxing, stylish and in a good location. And we can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: There's no lift, so take care if you don't like stairs.
2 Thank mcnally64
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We just stayed at the Chester Residences for 2 days of jetlag recovery and exploration of Edinburgh. The hotel is excellent, and well deserving of the ratings here. Close to the castle and other main sites of Edinburgh. Plus the rooms are well designed and spacious...well worth it! Staff were exceptionally helpful and went out of their way to be accommodating, particularly Ian. WIll definitley stay here again if traveling back to Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Only saw the room we stayed in...street level (where we were) is not good for privacy but curtains w...
1 Thank Bob R
Petoskey, Michigan
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Let me start off by saying I booked the Chester Residence based on the stellar reviews on Trip Advisor and we were not disappointed with the quality of the apartment (6/3) and the location in New Town. I'm am an architecture buff, so staying in a townhouse in the New Town was a dream come true. The brilliant renovation and attention to detail in these buildings is incredible. We were delighted with having our own, fully stocked kitchen, with state of the art appliances (Nespresso machine, high end toaster). After touring the UK for almost two weeks, it was terrific to make our own coffee and toast in the morning. The televisions are also the latest in technology and the furnishing are gorgeous.

We were greeted enthusiastically by Neil and Katie on a Monday afternoon and shown through the unit and presented with a glass of champagne and a bottle of wine in honor of my husband's upcoming birthday. When I inquired about assistance in booking a day tour to St. Andrews, Katie leapt into action and booked a tour through Robie's for us. She also highlighted where we were on a map and gave us suggestions for dinner. Wow, we were impressed.

The next evening we were were disappointed to find that Katie #2 (totally different from the woman who greeted us Monday) was not as competent. We called at 6PM and asked her to try to get us a table at Karen's Unicorn for that evening. When she hadn't got back to us by 6:20, we called again and she said she'd get right on it. She asked me which location we wanted to go to and I said I didn't know, being unfamiliar with the locations. She personally came to the unit to tell us we had a reservation at 7:00 pm and a cab would be waiting outside at 6:50 pm. Well, we waited past 7:00 pm and no cab. We asked Neil to check and a few minutes later a cab pulled up. When we got to the restaurant on Stephens Street, it was closed! The cab driver didn't know where the other location was (it's on Abercromby), so he took us to another restaurant, which turned out to be great. The next night we went to Karen's Unicorn on Abercromby and they told us that the Stephen Street location is always closed on Tuesday night.

The only other service issue is the lounge in the main building. We only went into it twice, but each time there were piles of empty wine bottles and dirty glassware all over the place. I had walked over to get some ice and the ice bucket was empty and there was not a soul around to help me. The next day we were waiting for a cab and there were dirty coffee cups and dishes all around the lounge. That being said, the service in the unit was impeccable. Very nice! She even unloaded the dishwasher and replenished the Nespresso capsules.

Overall, I would stay there again in a heartbeat. We did report the service issues when we checked out and they seemed sincere in saying they would address our concerns.

Room Tip: We specifically asked for a room on the main level, since there are no elevators.
1 Thank dre51
ChesterResidenceRory, General Manager at The Chester Residence, responded to this review, 2 November 2011
Dear dre51
I always find reviews like this one very difficult to respond to.Let me start by saying that i am happy you thought so highly of the Chester Residence, the style and decor of your apartment and all the extras we provide.
There seems to be some confusion over this booking that we made for you! We made said booking for you and confirmed it to you as soon as the restaurant got back to us, please understand when you are booking the number 1 restaurant on TA in Edinburgh its very difficult to get a table on the night, but we tried our best and secured you a table.

We cannot be held responsible for a taxi being late and then taking you to the wrong location, as we do not own or run said taxi service, i have however taken this up with them directly, the company insist all their drivers are aware of this outlet , however it was interesting that you were taken to TGI Friday by the driver instead of the current TA number 1 restaurant????

You secondly referred to a series of service issues within our guest lounge area. You mention "Piles of empty wine bottles all over the place" - This simply would not and could not happen, firstly we only run a residents bar on a saturday night and this is the only time wine is available , you stayed on a tuesday and wednesday thus no wine would be served and certainly not "Piles"-secondly, myself or my deputy base ourselves daily in the lounge area and to date i have yet to see it messy.As always it concerns me greatly that guests can simply post anything they wish with no thought for the countless hours of work myself and my team put into the magic of Chester Residence.

I do hope you return, i do hope that i have a chance to meet with you directly and talk through your points in person, you can also contact me directly at the hotel any day.

Kind regards

Rory MacAleece
Gloucestershire
Reviewed 29 October 2011

My husband treated us to a night away to celebrate my 40th birthday, my father had our 4 children for us, so the scene was set! From the moment we entered and were greeted by very friendly staff till the moment we left everything was perfect.

When my husband mentioned it was a treat for my birthday at check in we thought nothing of it until the doorbell rang a short while later and we found one of the lovely reception ladies with a beautiful birthday card and a bottle of wine, what a kind and thoughtful touch. The apartment itself was beautiful, very modern and very clean and luxurious, the little touches like the Molton Brown toiletries and the milk in the fridge on arrival were great.

There was plenty information available on Edinburgh, where to eat and what to do but we opted to stay in and make full use of the facilities, we found everything we needed to cook and enjoy a lovely meal in the apartment and the very peaceful and luxurious bath I had in the evening was just what I needed (with 4 children it's a luxury I appreciate!).

The only downside to this stay was that I didn't want to leave! We would thoroughly recommend staying here to anyone, we had a lovely stay at The Balmoral the last time we had a 'night away' but we made the right choice by staying here and we will definitely return!

1 Thank mumandfinley
Folsom, California, United States
Reviewed 25 October 2011

My recent travels took me to Edinburgh for a 4 day stay at the Chester Residence. I was booked into the ~1 month old Owner's Residence (Armani Suite). I travel frequently and quite simply this was the best hotel experience i have ever had - bar none. This particular suite has practically every amenity you could ask for and is very tastefully decorated with Armani Home Decor. The suite was beautiful, extremely comfortable, clean and exceptionally well appointed with attention to even the smallest of details. The service was impeccable, helpful in every way. I will never stay anywhere else in Edinburgh and look forward to my next opportunity to return. Bravo!
Zach H.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Zach H
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Intended to book just a couple of traditional hotel rooms for a half term break with husband and two teenage daughters - so glad I booked here instead! We stayed in one of the mews apartments having looked closely at the various rooms on their website. The mews apartments are a big bigger than the other apartments and my worries about them being dark (being in the basement) were unfounded. The apartment was very spacious, well equipped, stylishly decorated and the staff couldn't have been more helpful with our various and numerous requests. There were two ensuite shower rooms plus another bathroom which we, at first, thought excessive - until we discovered the TV in the bathroom with its floating remote - bliss! We didn't need a car as all the restaurants we went to were within walking distance and getting cabs to and from other places was cheaper than paying for parking. Would definitely rebook this brilliant place if visiting Edinburgh again.

Room Tip: The mews apartments are bigger and have a small garden
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family