“Perfect venue for a weekend in Edinburgh!!”

The Chester Residence
Ranked #1 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Prestwick, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Perfect venue for a weekend in Edinburgh!!”
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Just got back from a great weekend celebrating a friends 40th in the Chester Residence. Stunning accomodation and friendly and helpful staff. Made our weekend feel very special. I couldn't recommend this highly enough. We will DEFINITELY be back.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gaenor H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I took my girlfriend up to Edinburgh for her 30th. It was supposed to be a surprise but sadly I failed to keep the secret. Thankfully I kept our hotel a secret and she was immediately blown away. The reception was almost scarily impecable. As soon as I walked in the staff greeted me by name and Angie (who by the way is an absolute star!) showed us personally to our room. I say room, we stayed in one of the Penthouse suites. As it turned out it was the suite they show online and to be honest the website doesn't do it justice.

The room was brilliant. The space was fantastic and equipped to the teeth. I mean there was a TV above the tub and speakers in the ceiling! How brilliant is that! There was more than enough room for the two of us. A brilliant touch was the comment on the bed saying that if you would like firmer or tempur pillows then just give the reception staff a call and they'd happily bring you some.

As it was a gift, I went for the romance package. The details are on their website and I've put a couple photos here so you have some idea what they do. It's definitely worth the money. As soon as we had a couple moments to run around our room like kids the champagne arrived and was a perfect welcome to a brilliant weekend in Edinburgh. On top of that, the pre-dinner canapes were lovely and the bottle of wine and 1/2 bottle of cava was a great start to the evening. The crowning glory was the room turn-down. The candles leading up to the room and the rose petals got my girlfriend welling up and the atmosphere was topped off with classical music in the background with stars projected on the ceiling. Overly romantic? Maybe. But it proved to be the perfect opportunity to propose! I had no idea the staff would go to so much trouble a) tidying up our room and b) making it look so romantic! I really cannot thank them enough. In particular, Ian and Angie are legends and if you're lucky enough to stay whilst they're working then you'll be well taken care of!

The location is also brilliant. We're both pretty lazy walkers but it only took 20mins to get to the base of the castle and it's 40mins (at our pace) to get to Waverly station. Of course a couple £s for a taxi is another option and I definitely recommend it, especially as there aren't any lifts at the hotel. But who wants lifts when you have an entire floor of an Edinburgh town house to yourself?!

Another brilliant touch is their Saturday night drinks. If you stay then you're welcome to go down to the lounge for a couple drinks before you head out and get to meet the staff. Ian made us something divine and highly alcoholic (perfect for a chilly walk to dinner) and we got to meet Rory, one of the brains behind the Chester. He explained that they really do try and offer each guest an individually tailored experience. For us, they got it bang on!

The only downside, and I stress it is a MINOR one. In fact, so small that I hate myself for writing it, was the breakfasts. For vegetarians, the selection isn't amazing. We had the granola sundae, which was lovely (and also the size of my head!) but after that, the majority was centered around meat. I'm sure if we had asked specifically for a vegetarian breakfast then they would have driven around Scotland to find us the best ingredients, but we were too hungover and excited at being engaged to bother them. Even so, the fact that I had emailed asking for vegetarian pre-dinner canapes the evening before I hoped would have continued onto the following day. Nevertheless it's not going to stop me from telling everyone I know to stay here.

Room Tip: Book from their own website as you don't have all choices available on 3rd party sites
1 Thank dwc840
London
Reviewed 17 March 2012

We've just come back from a long weekend in Edinburgh, staying at the Chester Residence. We had chosen it based on the Tripadvisor recommendations and were not disappointed in the least. It lived up to every review and more. The staff could not have been more helpful (especially Ian - sorry that we didn't see you before we left). There were so many finishing touches that personalised our stay, we couldn't recommend it highly enough. The apartments are superbly furnished, the location is perfect. Thank you to you all for a truly memorable birthday weekend.

Missouri City, Texas
Reviewed 16 March 2012

If the site had more stars I would give them all. Truly one of the finest hotel experiences my wife and I have ever had. We only had two nights to enjoy Edinburgh so we wanted to be close to everything and also have a nice place to rest our heads after sightseeing all day. We never expected to get the experience we recieved from the Chester. The staff was incredible in their friendliness and help. The apartment was absolutely amazing. The furnishings were impeccable, the bed was amazing and the bathroom was huge. The location makes walking to anything you want to see easy and the hotels restaurant suggestions were great. Take time and relax in their lounge, it is the perfect way to end a perfect day. If I have any regrets it's that we didn't stay in one night and order a dinner from their chef. The other guests we met really raved about that experience. All in all one of the best stays ever. We will definitely go back and as far as I'm concerned there is no other place to stay in the entire city that could come close to matching the Chester experience. P.S. no I am not being paid to write any of this but would gladly take a free nights stay :)

PPS Sue was awesome

2 Thank JDW92
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Wow!! Everything about this Hotel screams... Wow!! Beautiful design, location, serene feel and most of all, the Staff. It was the unbelievable customer service that really knocked me sideways. I went in expecting 5 star and left feeling as though I was leaving behind a home and friends. To me, this is so much more than the standard (and often fake) 5 star treatment. The charismatic and energetic concierges Neil Young and Ian Maclennan bent over backwards to help make sure my visit to this charming city reached full potential. So so welcoming! The Manager Rory Macaleece greeted me personally, reassuring me that 'nothing was too much trouble.' He gave up his time to really get to know his guests and offered recommendations based on what we wanted out of our trip. My rule of never going back to the same place has been shattered after this experience! I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else. Among all the 'must see attractions & experiences in Edinburgh,' visiting the Chester residence should be up there in the same category, If only to experience the second to none customer service! You made my Edinburgh experience!! I can't Thank you enough! However, after this visit, my South African friend who stayed with me, now expects this treatment everywhere... she thinks I'm related to the Royal Family?? I can not top this!!

Room Tip: Even the standard room (apartment) is immense!! There is no 'standard' about this hotel, jus...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Borders, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2012

We had the pleasure of staying at the Owner's Residence and it was amazing! I cannot fault anything about our stay. We were greeted by Neil who was so helpful and welcoming - and very fetching in his kilt! The apartment itself has the real wow factor. The rooms are so comfortable and stylish (Armani wallpaper and tiles!) and the wow factor for us was your own cinema room!! The surround sound is brilliant and the Chester Residence can also supply the DVDs and Blu-rays. The jacuzzi was great too. The location was great for walking into the centre of town (in less than 10 mins walk you are on Princes Street) and the apartments are in a lovely quiet location in the West End. All in all the Chester Residence is the best place we have ever stayed in and we would love to go back again! You won't be disappointed if you stay here!!

Room Tip: Owner's Residence - you have your own cinema, jacuzzi with TV and access to your own garden.
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Fantastic serviced apartments; nothing is too much trouble for the Manager or other staff, stayed for part of our honeymoon and was made to feel very special. The accommodation is the best I have stayed in and this includes our stay at Claridges in London where we stayed after the Chester Residence. The bathroom was an experience not just a bathroom, all modern appliances in the kitchen area and the bedroom was so comfortable I wanted to stay longer. Can't say any more than 'I want to go back'

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple