“Fantastic!”

The Chester Residence
Ranked #1 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Well worth a visit to make any special occasion just right. Location is excellent, walking distance for most things in the city. The rooms themselves are superb.
What makes this place so good is the service though. Nothing, and I mean nothing at all seems to be any trouble for any of the staff. Their attention to detail is second to none.
And we appreciated the extra hour before checkout since the clocks changed. Little things like that make all the difference when you get a child free weekend!
We will be back, that's for sure.

The only negative thing I can say (and I'm being picky now!), is that the lighting was somewhat limited when my wife was applying her make up. One mirror in the bathroom/bedroom with some better lighting would be helpful. Maybe even a little portable light. I dare say that in the summer, natural later light will help - but this was before the clocks changed. Otherwise though......as I said above!

Room Tip: If you've not got the legs for it...avoid the Penthouse! It's a fair climb...but worth it in...

Reviewed 26 March 2012

This is the best place to stay in Edinburgh for comfort and flexibility. We used this accomodating friends over for our wedding.

Thank so much for everything you guys did to make our stay so fun and relaxing. You have a fantastic location and I know my US guests loved every second of it. I hear that you helped them out with sorting a dinner in one of the apartments on the Saturday night for them all to congregate and hang out.

Feedback from them was that all the husbands had a lot of work on returning to the States to upgrade all their houses to look like your apartments.

The concierges are amazing and cater to your every whim

Room Tip: Get the Mews flat if you want that extra outdoor space and access to a private BBQ. But seriously, t...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Took my girlfriend for her 30th Birthday for 4 days, 3 nights, stayed in the Penthouse (9/1) and what can I say...Wow! From the moment we arrived and were greeted by Neil who parked our car, the whole experience was fantastic - from the decour (which is modern yet compliments the old buildings) to the friendliness of all the staff...nothing could be faulted. I ordered a few extras for my other halfs birthday (Champagne Breakfast and a Molten Brown gift set) these were arranged and delievered exactly as I requested. We were treated to complimentary drinks in the lounge on the first day and on my girlfriends birthday and the manager explained the history behind the hotel.

The location of the Chester Resisdence is convenient for access to princes street and beyond.

There are lots and lots of things I could go on to mention, but I don't think i need to. If you fancy a short break in a great city and want luxury without paying over the odds - then this is the place. It has set the bar for serviced aparthotels.

My ONLY gripe (and its more a recommendation) is that while the lack of lighting in the master bedroon of 9/1 is very soothing and intimate - it could perhaps do with another light fitting somewhere just to give more light when needed!

Room Tip: We stayed in 9/1 (Penthouse) great for couples.....
Reviewed 22 March 2012

The Chester Residence is paradise in Edinburgh, the staff can not be faulted, they are so pleasant and accomodating and nothing is too much for them. We stayed for our anniversary and we were made to feel so special, it truely made my weekend staying at the apartment. Its close to all the amenities but a nice distance that it's not too noisy by the bars / resturants. The apartment itself was immaculate and all the special touches for example the Moulton Brown candles just added to the special feel the place had. Ian the manager was on hand if needed and one of the ladies Katie Redmayne went above and beyond to make the weekend special. If you want an amazing apartment with staff to go with it stay at The Chester Residence!

Room Tip: I don't think there would be an apartment that isnt anything other than perfect.
1  Thank Joanna W
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Stayed for 3 nights in March. Had seen many reviews all of which are excellent, so we had quite high expectations. And these expectations were surpassed! What a fabulous place - beautifully decorated furnished rooms, spacious in the extreme...but the rooms were nothing compared to the staff, whi are possibly the most friendly, fun yet quietly efficient we've encountered - and nothing was too much trouble - Katie and Ian deserve special mention! If you're in Edinburgh and adhere to the adage 'you get what you pay for', then if you stay here you'll get the most fantastic experience.

One small observation...need to keep an eye on things like bulbs which are'nt working, a missing window blind...otherwise the high standards might begin to slip...

Room Tip: We had the mews room 7/5 - 2 beds, 3 bathrooms, lounge, dining area, patio, garden...heaven!
1  Thank Redbaron4
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Just got back from a great weekend celebrating a friends 40th in the Chester Residence. Stunning accomodation and friendly and helpful staff. Made our weekend feel very special. I couldn't recommend this highly enough. We will DEFINITELY be back.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gaenor H
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I took my girlfriend up to Edinburgh for her 30th. It was supposed to be a surprise but sadly I failed to keep the secret. Thankfully I kept our hotel a secret and she was immediately blown away. The reception was almost scarily impecable. As soon as I walked in the staff greeted me by name and Angie (who by the way is an absolute star!) showed us personally to our room. I say room, we stayed in one of the Penthouse suites. As it turned out it was the suite they show online and to be honest the website doesn't do it justice.

The room was brilliant. The space was fantastic and equipped to the teeth. I mean there was a TV above the tub and speakers in the ceiling! How brilliant is that! There was more than enough room for the two of us. A brilliant touch was the comment on the bed saying that if you would like firmer or tempur pillows then just give the reception staff a call and they'd happily bring you some.

As it was a gift, I went for the romance package. The details are on their website and I've put a couple photos here so you have some idea what they do. It's definitely worth the money. As soon as we had a couple moments to run around our room like kids the champagne arrived and was a perfect welcome to a brilliant weekend in Edinburgh. On top of that, the pre-dinner canapes were lovely and the bottle of wine and 1/2 bottle of cava was a great start to the evening. The crowning glory was the room turn-down. The candles leading up to the room and the rose petals got my girlfriend welling up and the atmosphere was topped off with classical music in the background with stars projected on the ceiling. Overly romantic? Maybe. But it proved to be the perfect opportunity to propose! I had no idea the staff would go to so much trouble a) tidying up our room and b) making it look so romantic! I really cannot thank them enough. In particular, Ian and Angie are legends and if you're lucky enough to stay whilst they're working then you'll be well taken care of!

The location is also brilliant. We're both pretty lazy walkers but it only took 20mins to get to the base of the castle and it's 40mins (at our pace) to get to Waverly station. Of course a couple £s for a taxi is another option and I definitely recommend it, especially as there aren't any lifts at the hotel. But who wants lifts when you have an entire floor of an Edinburgh town house to yourself?!

Another brilliant touch is their Saturday night drinks. If you stay then you're welcome to go down to the lounge for a couple drinks before you head out and get to meet the staff. Ian made us something divine and highly alcoholic (perfect for a chilly walk to dinner) and we got to meet Rory, one of the brains behind the Chester. He explained that they really do try and offer each guest an individually tailored experience. For us, they got it bang on!

The only downside, and I stress it is a MINOR one. In fact, so small that I hate myself for writing it, was the breakfasts. For vegetarians, the selection isn't amazing. We had the granola sundae, which was lovely (and also the size of my head!) but after that, the majority was centered around meat. I'm sure if we had asked specifically for a vegetarian breakfast then they would have driven around Scotland to find us the best ingredients, but we were too hungover and excited at being engaged to bother them. Even so, the fact that I had emailed asking for vegetarian pre-dinner canapes the evening before I hoped would have continued onto the following day. Nevertheless it's not going to stop me from telling everyone I know to stay here.

Room Tip: Book from their own website as you don't have all choices available on 3rd party sites
1  Thank dwc840