The Chester Residence
US$169
US$186
US$167
  • Pool
Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$115
US$236
US$212
Agoda.com
1,935 results
All reviewsthe penthousechester streetrothesay placeowners residencecinema roommews apartmentliving roommolton brown toiletriesprivate gardensky tvnespresso machinewest endserviced apartmentfull kitchenunderfloor heatingbirthday cardbeautiful apartment
Reviewed 4 December 2012

This was a last minute booking that will remain in the memory for all the right reasons. From the moment you are greeted by the attentive and friendly staff to the moment you leave you'll wonder why you've stayed in other places in Edinburgh in the past. I stayed in the penthouse, which was fantastic and very luxurious, but it was the added 'extra mile' customer service touches that stood out. I ordered takeaway and when it arrived I had forgotten rice or noodles. The porter asked if he should order some and I said no it was my fault. Five minutes later he's at the door with some rice - he and the other staff downstairs had ordered a takeaway of their own and wanted me to have their rice! I declined but he insisted. What's more, he handed me a beer to enjoy with the meal. That's wow factor stuff in my book and the reason why I have no hesitation recommending this hotel.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Stuart M
Reviewed 3 December 2012

After a fabulous ten night cruise around the islands of western Scotland, my husband and I decided we wanted to decompress a bit in the beautiful city of Edinburgh. I had already arranged for a four night stay at The Chester Residence, a property in a residential area of Edinburgh that has consistently ranked at the top of Trip Advisor's list of hotels in Edinburgh.

What makes The Chester Residence different...

The Chester Residence is not really a hotel. Instead, it's four townhouses that have apartments in them available for short term rent. These apartments are well appointed with comfortable, modern furnishings and plenty of techie gadgets, including an iPod dock, two flatscreen televisions, and a Nespresso machine. There's a small kitchen stocked with basic cooking and eating utensils

I arranged for a one bedroom apartment for 650 pounds (around $1000). I also ordered snacks to be placed in the apartment for 40 pounds and a champagne breakfast for 50 pounds. At the time of my booking, I was really excited about our trip. Unfortunately, once we arrived, things were a bit stressful because of the bad news we got about our beloved beagle, MacGregor.

Nevertheless, when we arrived, we were taken into the office at 9 Rothesay Place in Edinburgh and given a couple of glasses of champagne while we waited for our apartment to be prepared. We arrived at noon, but it was not a problem to enter the apartment early. We were assigned an apartment at the original Chester Residence, which is on Chester Street and requires a walk to the other side of the block.

The Chester Street apartments are in a very old building with high ceilings that are beautifully decorated with ornate scrolling. We were amazed by how large the apartment was. There were two full bathrooms with rainfall showers, Molton Brown toiletries, a towel rack and heated floors, a large living room with a leather couch and 32 inch flat screen television, Sky TV, and a DVD player, free Wi-Fi, a large bedroom with plenty of closet space and a flatscreen television, and a kitchen with a table, mini fridge, microwave, and two burner stove. The only thing missing was a washer and dryer!

The staff

The staff at the Chester Residence is very young but professional and friendly. The young lady who showed us our apartment was careful to give us the full tour and explained how room service works. If you want drinks delivered to your apartment or breakfast, you can just call and they'll be right over! Moreover, if you want to order in food, you can consult the binder which has restaurants that deliver or you can call the front desk, have them order the food, and they'll add the cost of the food to your hotel bill!

I also appreciated the guide to local attractions. Edinburgh has so many of them and you really have to pick and choose which ones to see.

Location

The Chester Residence is located in a business and residental area. Downtown Edinburgh is a short walk away, which can be a bad thing if you really have to pee (as I found out). There are shops, grocery stores, and restaurants within a short walking distance, but we found that once the sun was down and we were in, we were in for the night. Neither of us wanted to go out for dinner. Luckily, neither of us really needs the calories anyway!

Things I didn't like so much

Overall, we really enjoyed The Chester Residence. Our apartment was clean and comfortable and it was great to have so much room. We had no issues with noise and I loved the shower/bathtub.

That being said, I wasn't too wild about the bed. It was very low to the ground, almost like a futon. It was outfitted with nice linens, but there was only a duvet, which got hot at night, yet I would get chilled if I took it off for too long.

I noticed there were a few things that could have used repair. The button to flush the toilet in one bathroom was missing the large plastic part that makes it easier to flush. The rack in the refrigerator was a bit fragile and we had to rearrange everything to avoid having it break. One of the cabinets in the master bedroom bath looked a bit chipped up and there were a few stains on the carpet, not that that was a big deal.

The snack package I ordered was a little too heavy on cheese, potato chips, and dips. We loved the fact that they would stock the apartment for us, but would have appreciated an order form or something similar so we could order things that we like and would actually eat. As it was, we left a lot of stuff behind.

Also, we had some trouble turning the television on and off and working the microwave. Instructions for us Yanks who aren't familiar with British appliances and electronics would have been helpful. Crossing the street to get to Chester Street was difficult, too. That's not their fault, but it was a pain, especially in the evening. Everyone seems to use Chester Street as a way to get home!

Parking is available, but obviously we didn't use it. Our cab driver was not from Edinburgh and had to ask several locals where The Chester Residence is! It took several tries until he finally found someone who pointed him in the right direction.

Overall

I totally understand why people love The Chester Residence and it gets such high ratings on Trip Advisor. Overall, our stay there was very comfortable and everyone we dealt with was very professional and nice. I would recommend it wholeheartedly for anyone who needs or prefers larger accommodations in Edinburgh. It was nice to be there instead of in a cramped hotel room. However, as much as I enjoyed my stay and was wowed by the accommodations, I can't quite award five stars.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank knotheadusc
Reviewed 2 December 2012

We have just spent a long weekend here with my son and his lovely girlfriend. We received a wonderful welcome on our arrival and our apartments were amazing. The lounge bar is really
cosy with a fire and Jo Malone candles burning. The staff are so so helpful, nothing is too much trouble and they all really care about making your stay very special. They recommended and booked restaurants for us. My son and his girlfriend live in Holland and she was intrigued about the very helpful man wearing a skirt!!! We explained about men and kilts!
We can't recommend The Chester Residence highly enough. Thankyou for making our stay so special.

Room Tip: 8/3 is amazing
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Jane S
Reviewed 2 December 2012

My partner and I have travelled extensively across most continents, and have stayed in various 5 star hotels and serviced apartments. But I would say that Chester Residence aced it , hands down in terms of overall experience and value.

The hotel staff are always readily available for enquiries, chats and ever so helpful and polite, with a touch of warmth. It was our wedding anniversary and they served us champaign upon checking in, with a handwritten card as well to congratulate us.

We arranged for morning breakfast on the first day at a specified time, and it arrived on the dot.
Wine was also delivered promptly.

We were allocated the ground level unit and our luggages were delivered into the apartment. Even though this is a walk-up apartment, I believe the staff would be happy to send the luggages up upon your arrival.

The apartment was housed in a beautiful georgian-styled townhouse. It was clean, spacious and modern, with enough heating for the whole apartment.

It is a delightful 10 minute walk to Princes Street, which is the heart of the shopping district.

I would absolutely recommend this place to anyone visiting Edinburgh. The personal touch and the spacious modern intern beat any 5 star hotels hands down. I would certainly only want to stay at Chester Residence when I return to Edinburgh.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Watamis
Reviewed 29 November 2012

Where do I start?! ….. Having travelled extensively, I’ve never felt more compelled to write a review…. In fact I believe this is the first time.

For those reading this who just want it in a nutshell then my advice is this … “Stay at the Chester Residence & don’t consider anywhere else if you have the choice. You will NOT regret it!” I am in no way putting down other hotels, but in my opinion & clearly that of other ‘reviewers’ this place is pucker!

Here’s the longer version…

In simple words this place is unlike anything we have ever experienced. The level of comfort, the quality of the rooms, the décor, the service & way above all that (if that’s possible) the staff … are as the title suggests.. ’Beyond Comparison!’.

We were dropped at the hotel by our airport ‘meet & greet’ driver Paul, which we arranged through The Chester Residence. We were then greeted on arrival at the Chester with big smiles & a very warm welcome from Ed, who made us feel completely at home from the moment we arrived. More on Ed later….

We arrived early at 10am so had decided to visit the Castle & do some sightseeing until our room was made ready. We booked the VIP room for our first night as a special treat. We weren’t disappointed! I think the owners gave the designers a blank cheque & a magic wand. It’s ridiculous! Stunning! The pictures do not do it justice. This was my wifes 40th birthday treat away from our young children so I had booked the ‘Honeymoon Package’ as an extra which amongst many other touches, included a fully stocked fridge, welcome food hamper, welcome glass of bubbly, turndown service, bath butler, canapés, wine etc etc... Not surprisingly we decided to stay in on our first night. That was after Ed impressed us with his cocktail making skills in the gorgeous & very cozy bar.

Ed later delivered a takeaway to our apartment, which he’d ordered for us. We ate our dinner whilst sat in the hot tub with a glass of bubbly & a movie. Then later we watched a movie on the giant projector screen in the Media Room! The bedroom was beautiful, very comfortable. The shower was so good I couldn’t get the wife to come out!

We booked the Penthouse apartment for our 2nd & 3rd nights. All our belongings were transferred to our new apartment while we went out sightseeing again. This wasn’t the VIP apartment, but it was every bit as good. The layout, the mood lighting, the huge bathroom, huge bedroom & the wonderfully cozy living & kitchen area were gorgeous!! I think we may even have preferred it! Just something very romantic about this apartment. I would highly recommend it for romantic couples. We did get a chance to view the Grand Apartment & this was equally as stunning.

Now I feel I should interject here with some the level of ‘extra’ service we received thus far… Already as our champagne breakfast was delivered I noticed there was an ‘extra’ item on the tray. A giant ‘pain au chocolate’ which I never actually ordered! Ed had heard me mentioning my secret addiction in the bar the night before & had got one in for me especially – at no cost I might add. Also on that first night we happened to mention to Christina, another lovely addition to hotel staff, about a movie we hadn’t yet seen. The next evening when we arrived at our Penthouse apartment after a busy day sightseeing, not only was the mood lighting set & made beautifully welcoming, but on the giant tv screen was our movie that we so wanted to watch! Christina had only gone out & bought the DVD for us! What an angel ☺ So we kicked off our shoes for the next couple hours, opened a bottle of wine & watched a movie before dinner. Then there was a knock at the door and another surprise! Mat from the bar that we now meet for the first time, turns up with a complimentary ‘strong’ cocktail for us both! We’ve kept the recipe Mat – hope you don’t mind! Not long afterwards the ‘Awsome Ed’ turned up at the door with our pre-dinner canapés & wine. Needless to say that set the evening up for us. We went down to the bar and met Ed & Mat who both made our evening very special & in healthy competition with each other made us yet more cocktails! Now these 2 guys work very well together! I can not explain how well all the staff appear to ‘gel’ with each other. They seem more like a family with one sole intention of making you the customer happy. They are all in constant, but discreet contact with each other via tiny ear pieces. The level of communication between all the staff is incredibly well coordinated & very professional. Nothing seems to get missed. We were very impressed. Ed booked us a table at the ‘Wildfire’ restaurant, which he recommended. It was perfect & will be my next ace review.

Arriving back to the apartment after dinner our room had been turned down for us & there were candles lit around our apartment with rose petals strewn everywhere. In our bedroom was an image of the starry night sky ‘projected’ onto our ceiling from some cool gadget which they’d placed in our room while we were out. It was beautiful.

The next morning for breakfast I had even MORE pain au chocolates on my tray!

So anther day sightseeing & eating lunch in a lovely pub which came recommended by the lovely Katie we then headed back to our apartment for a long soak in the giant tub. Ed arrived once again with a bath butler service – sounds ominous I know, but he was fully dressed I’m happy to report ….. He’d brought a slate tray holding quality bath & beauty products & another couple of ‘complimentary’ cocktails! Wow! I was earning some serious brownie points here Ed! Cheers pal ☺

Ed experimented his cocktails on us in the bar once again & named one after my wife, which pleased her very much. At this point and being quite impressed with the service we were receiving my wife rather cheekily (possibly due to the cocktails) set Ed another challenge, seeing as pain au chocolates, dvd’s, cocktails & other unexpected surprises were turning up. She mentioned she’s been looking for a Vinyl Record to frame & hang in our youngest daughter’s room of the famous Rolling Stones song ‘Ruby-Tuesday’ whom we named her after. My wife had been looking everywhere for one. We thought we’d stumped him there! Anyway, off to another recommended restaurant ‘The Lada Bistro’. Another fantastic restaurant & we highly recommend it. We received a glass of bubbly & they wished my wife happy birthday on our arrival. The hotel had phoned this through!

Sadly the next day was our last. We did some last minute shopping & eating then went to the bar for one last drink before our airport transfer. Here we had the good fortune to meet the lovely Rory. Ed’s counterpart as Ed was now on his ‘days off’. We’d already read great reviews about Rory on here so it was a pleasure to meet you. Thanks for your company before we departed & for your ‘departing gift’ of a couple of whiskies which we thoroughly enjoyed & which made it much easier for me step on the plane!

We said goodbye to Ed the night before and we had photos taken together which we’ll email soon enough. We did try to contact Ed & treat him to lunch the day we left but he was otherwise engaged. The reason for that we found out the morning after we arrived home. A package arrived via special delivery at our house from Ed via The Chester Residence. It was the ‘gift’ of an immaculate version of the Rolling Stones vinyl record ‘Ruby-Tuesday!!’. What more can we say!!. Absolute genius! Thank you so much!

To the owner & managers of this establishment I’d just like compliment you on everything you are doing & to say that you are clearly doing everything right. And please hang on to your wonderful staff as they are a real credit to the hotel – from the moment of booking till the moment you get home… In fact I should also say a big thanks to Anna Ritchie who I never met but who helped me with my booking over the phone & was incredibly helpful & accommodating & a lovely happy voice on the other end of the line. We simply cant wait to come back & will make sure our friends & family know where to stay in Edinburgh.

Thanks once again to you all for making our first trip to Scotland so special & a special extra thanks to Ed for every little thing you did above & beyond!

Ru & Jo Xx (Rupert & Joanne Lea)

Room Tip: Owners Residence is Stunning, but the Penthouse Apartment is also perfect for couples & very cozy & romantic. We stayed in both and would happily toss a coin next time they're that good hard to decide between.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple