“The Chester Residence goes the extra mile.”

The Chester Residence
Ranked #1 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 22 December 2012 via mobile

I booked the Mews apartment for myself and my mother as a special little weekend away, Christmas shopping etc (and a surpise for my mum!). Wow! What an amazing apartment!! A bedroom each, ensuite each, separate bathroom with TV, fully equipped kitchen/lounge etc. I love little luxuries and we arranged a hamper and stocked fridge (full of everything and more that I requested). When we arrived they played the cd I asked for as a surprise for my mum (she thought was fantastic to walk into our apartment and hear her favourite album playing!) and brought us a glass of champagne each. Later on Rory brought us some pink Champagne and the 'bath butler' which was full of gorgeous Molten Brown goodies and candles/petals. Then in the evenin as we were planning to go out, Rory popped down to confirm our taxi had been booked and also surprised us with two mugs of mulled wine! Three drinks before we had wen left the apartment can't be bad! As it was apparently the busiest weekend wrote Christmas, we couldn't get a table anywhere for dinner, so Katie on reception said 'leave it to us, we'll get you in somewhere, don't worry'. And they promptly did - at 'Fishers' down by the sea at Leith which was absolutely fantastic. Freshest salmon I've ever had and the fish cakes were to die for!
On Saturday before we went out for the evening, some canapés were brought to us, with another two glasses of champagne! All gorgeous. We managed to get into 'Centotre' on George Street which was also fantastic! Brilliant atmosphere and varied menu.
Our train wasn't until 4pm on Sunday so they offered to keep our bags whilst we shopped til we dropped again! Then whilst waiting for our taxi to the station, we had a drink in the bar (free of charge!) and a lovely chat with Rory. I must say he really is an asset to this hotel- just genuinely friendly, helpful and polite without being too intrusive. Every hotel needs a Rory!! And the girls on reception (sorry I can't remember all your names apart from Katie and Anna) are a real pleasure to deal with - nothing is too much trouble and they are so polite and friendly too. They really made us feel welcome.
So from start to finish our break at The Chester Residence was beyond 5*. I would like to thank you all for the best hotel weekend break we have ever had! Thank you to all the staff for making this surprise weekend for my mum all the more special. She absolutely loved it! (it took her a good hour to get over the shock of walking into the huge, 5* apartment rather than the little twin hotel room she was expecting.. hee hee). And everytime a member of staff delivered a little something to our apartment, her jaw dropped to the floor again! We were like giddy kids in a sweet shop!!
To anyone else trawling through reviews and deals on other hotels, wondering where to stay in Edinburgh- don't bother! Just stay here. You will not regret it. It's amazing. Xx

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank ShonaArnside
There are newer reviews for The Chester Residence

Reviewed 22 December 2012

Everything about the Chester is brilliant. The staff, the quality of the apartments and furnishings and the location.
We were worried that the reputation was perhaps too good to be true but it is well deserved.
It's expensive (especially in summer) but well worth it.
It's a 5 minute wal to George Street and Princes Street and the local Stockbridge/Haymarket area is trendy, safe and fun.
We really couldn't fault it.

Reviewed 19 December 2012

Stayed at the Chester residence on the 18th December for one night and wish it had been for longer. The service from staff was impeccable and extremely friendly an warm, the room was a delight and finished to a very high standard and was without doubt the cleanest room I have ever stayed in and put so called high class hotels to shame! I will definately be back to stay again. What a total gem of a find the Chester residence has been! Keep up the great work guys

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 19 December 2012

After having experienced the Chester residence first hand, it's really not surprising why this hotel rates so highly - it really is as good as you've read it is - no hype, just fact.
Fantastic accommodation,genuinely friendly,attentive staff,(yes,they really are as good as everyone says)great location,they really have got everything right and you shouldn't consider anywhere else if you are planning a trip to Edinburgh.
I can't recommend more highly and I'll definitely be returning next chance I get. Do yourself a favour and do the same!

Reviewed 18 December 2012

Decided on a little treat for Christmas shopping, taking my wife to Edinburgh. We wanted somewhere special, so checked tripadvisor and noted that The Chester Residence was No1 in Edinburgh and won a few awards. Luckily I managed to get a good deal and booked two nights.

When I arrived, Rory opened the door and welcomed us to the Chester Residence and immediately offered assistance with bags etc.

At reception we were told that we had been upgraded to a Penthouse Suite, which we thought was great!

The apartment was lovely! Large Bedroom, very large two person bath and television in Bathroom. Great Lounge/kitchen area also with the finest appliances. Nespresso machine in kitchen was a bonus as I drink Nespresso coffee all the time at home.

Large television in Bedroom and Lounge with Sky TV.

On the Saturday evening we returned to the Bar. Once again Rory appeared by magic and greeted our arrival asking if we had a good day. The night before I told him that I was eating in Micahel Neave's Kitchen and Whisky Bar. He remembered this and asked how the meal was.

On entry to the bar we were greeted by the barman. We were only going to stay for one drink before retiring to our room. However the cocktails were that good and the company was very nice so we sat for three hours indulging int he very best that the barman had to offer enjoying the company of another couple residing in the hotel too! I'm sorry I did not pick up on the barman's name.

The couple we were talking to had a four and a half year old daughter. One of the receptionists came through (Katy) and as well as engaging in conversation offered lots of colouring in materials, lego and crisps to keep the girl occupied throughout the evening (3 hrs).

On checkout we had a small leaving party int he reception standing attentively asking if every facet of our stay was good. This was not by any means intrusive. Good banter and a genuine sincere interest in ensuring that everything was first class.

I thoroughly recommend "The Chester Residence" I look forward to returning soon!

Room Tip: Car parking. Restricted Parking Mon - Sat exists between 8:30 am and 17:30. Maximum of 4hrs. Best...
1  Thank Lakes_traveller007
Reviewed 18 December 2012

We've stayed at the Chester Residence 4 times now - 3 times in the last two months! - and it really is our new favourite place, having whipped that crown off the heads of a couple of other fancy boutique hotels in Edinburgh and Glasgow.

We find it very hard to fault at all; the apartments are gorgeous, combining the freedom and space of self-catering flats with the amazing finish and luxury of a boutique hotel, the prices and deals that are available online are amazing considering what you get (I'd recommend ringing them direct once you've found a deal by the way, as they will usually match any deal on trivago/laterooms etc. and sometimes throw in a bottle of wine or breakfast too).

The staff are also fantastic - trust me, I'm a total customer service bore - they are unfailingly nice, very helpful and often go out of their way to make you feel completely looked-after. As an example, the first time we stayed with them, they had problems with the sky TV due to severe storms the previous night which had damaged the dish on the roof. To apologise, we were brought a glass of champagne (for my wife), a beer (for me) and a bag of popcorn to eat while we watched a DVD from their collection. A few weeks ago we stayed there for my wife's birthday. I had mentioned this whilst making the booking, and 5 mins after we got to our room, a guy appeared at the door with a glass of champagne for us both and a birthday card for my wife! They've totally nailed the balance of being attentive and efficient whilst not being intrusive in any way.

This is a really, really lovely place. Go there if you can, you won't be disappointed!

Reviewed 17 December 2012

One of the best apartment rentals in Scotland, I was there with a close friend and we had a great time. It is centrally located with great "walks" around. Great staff and excellent service. Food can be ordered in from near by takeaways through reception. They have a great collection of DVDs too with comes with a free bag of popcorns.

Definitely a place for a couples

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple