“Massive space and massive work ethics, a pleasure to have stayed” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Chester Residence

The Chester Residence
Ranked #1 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Liverpool, New York
“Massive space and massive work ethics, a pleasure to have stayed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

Everything about this hotel is fantastic, from the views, from cleanliness through out, the staff are very professional and polite, I staying in this fantastic hotel on a business weekend trip, and we were made feel on holiday.
The food was excellent and restaurant service staff were able to explain every detail of everything we asked about the menu.
SUPERB!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
Telford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

We very much enjoyed our relaxing break in a Penthouse apartment.
The apartment was is ideally located in a quieter area but close enough to walk each day into the main streets. It was very clean, luxorious with a pleasant view from the kitchen window. The shower and bath were incredible. A very large apartment and perfect for a long romantic weekend break away for 2 people.
We very much hope to visit again. The staff were all extremely helpful and friendly.
We had some useful tips on places to see in Edinburgh, as well as an invite for a complimentary cocktail and canopes in the bar which was great. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: They all have their merits but the Penthouse was brilliant.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

Spent 2 nights here with my husband for our anniversary,Beautiful apartment,tasteful and cosy.Bathroom had a huge bath and walk in shower and the under floor heating kept it lovely and warm,had a TV in bathroom to watch whilst soaking...Lovely modern kitchen...Would definitely recommend to anyone.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

My Family & I have just returned from Scotland where during a portion of our trip we spent four days at the Chester Residence. The reason we booked at this location was due to all the positive reviews on Trip Advisor.
For the most part the stay at the residence was fine, but here is a few items that future travelers should be aware of such as:

1. The Front Desk staff is outstanding always helpful for reservations, getting cabs, etc. One of the best I have experienced.
2. The location which was one of my initial concerns prior to arrival is safe and really not to far from the main activity of the city.
3. We booked a Mews apartment unit 8/5 though a very nice unit, but unfortunately being below ground is cold under normal conditions or hot for they were never able to get the floor heaters units quite balanced.
4. Also, 8/5 is behind the Laundry & cleaning service area thus every morning you hear the cleaning staff preparing the laundry for the hotel & at times you need to navigate between the bags of laundry they pile outside the unit's door. Not very appropriate for a fine hotel.
5. However, my biggest frustration was the Management of the hotel, for on our first evening at the hotel we lost power, water & heat in our unit. Being below ground it was pitch black with no emergency lighting, so a little scary with no ambient light except for a small flashlight I carried.. The hotel didn't even know we lost these utilities, until we went to the front desk. Sometime in the early morning the power did return, but we did not have heat until we called the front desk after 7:00am to advise them when we arose and it was a cold night and morning in Scotland.
Though I recommend that the hotel look into a emergency power back up, but my frustration was that the management didn't even call, send a note or even stop by to say sorry for the issue. Not a word!!!
I stayed at hotels who apologize if my breakfast was 10 minutes late!!
Future travelers should be aware that the conversion from apartments to a hotel facility has its drawbacks , such as hearing the occupants above you walking around at night and that you need to be fully aware how to operate the various appliances and controls that are in the units.

In summary I do think the hotel is a great value if you can deal with the infrastructure of the Chester Residence !

Safe Travels,

JPB

Room Tip: Careful of the Mews Units if your a light sleeper or sensitive to heating conditions.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Burke7788
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here on the second leg of our honeymoon through Scotland. Ten minutes after settling in our penthouse suite, we called the front desk to request an additional night's stay. We absolutely loved this hotel. From my very first e-mail inquiry (we are from the U.S.A.) to the day we (sadly) checked out, our experience was fabulous. Every staff member from management on down is helpful, solicitous, accommodating, and friendly. Special thanks to Mark, Ian, Katie, and Anna for ensuring that our stay was wonderful. We ordered the Honeymoon Package, and we will definitely do that again when we return to the Chester. The apartment (townhouses) are gorgeous and comfortable. We wish we could live at this hotel! Another convenient and outstanding aspect of our stay here was Paul, the tour guide from Kings Luxury Travel. He picked us up in Gretna and drove us to the Chester. He was so fabulous (knowledgable, kind, and helpful) that we also booked him to transport us from Edinburgh to Glasgow. I have tried to find his company here on Trip Advisor so that I may give him a 5-star review, but the company is not listed here yet (as of November 30, 2013). My husband and I highly recommend both The Chester Residence and Paul from Kings Luxury Travel. We can't wait to return in a couple of years!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Liberty, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

We chose The Chester Residence based on Trip Advisor reviews, and our stay was perfect from start to finish.

These are basically townhouse apartments that have been converted into a residence hotel. We had a one-bedroom apartment that was huge, with a large king bedroom and large living room and kitchen. Furninshings are contemporary. If you like lots of space with your hotel room(s), you will love this!

Staff was very helpful.

The hotel is located in a residential area in the West End/New Town district of Edinburgh, not far from the heart of the Princes Street shopping district, the Edinburgh Castle, and the Royal Mile.

THe hotel does not have a large number of rooms, and they seem to do a pretty good business with people staying for weddings and events. You may wish to reserve early.

I would highly recommend.

Room Tip: You can select specific rooms. You may wish to call the hotel staff to help you select a room you wo...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

I celebrated my birthday here after my lovely husband took me away for a couple of nights. Check-in was smooth, just a small wait but were directed to the lounge for a drink. Apartment was beautiful, lots of lovely touches and even though large, had a cosy feel about it.

I have some areas where there could be improvement, but this is me being picky and in no way warrants me dropping a star on this review. The one star reviewer should be ashamed!

When having a drink waiting for the room, I was given a Bacardi with no ice and a multipack can of coke plonked down next to it....I have to say it did take away from the elegance of the surroundings.

Bathroom, shower on/off was broken and the small metal cylinder kept falling in the bath - just needs fixed.

Wallpaper peeled off wall on entry (this was actually the first thing i saw when I walked in) - very easy to fix.

Breakfast was served with a selection of meats...I'm a very fussy person when it comes to where meats are sourced etc, so it would have been nice to have known where the beef slices, italian meats came from. I did eat the cheese which was lovely. Chester residence asks you to test them on any provisions etc that the guest needs...I wanted peanut butter at breakfast and this didn't arrive....trivial, but even a sorry we couldn't get that for you would have been nice.

That aside, I had a fantastic time. One of the best birthdays, I was treated to champagne, strawberries, chocolates, birthday cake, balloons and such a lovely welcome. The bed was very comfy, the kitchen had everything you would need. The staff went out their way to help with dinner reservations. This is one of the best places to stay in Edinburgh and I absolutely can recommend this...in fact I have already recommended it to several of my clients. I cant wait to return!!! Thank you for making my birthday very special.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple