“Fantastic Stay”

The Chester Residence
Ranked #1 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 22 November 2008

Very central, apartment was very comfortable with everything you needed. Very tastefully decorated. Reception were very helpful there if you needed them for anything. My wife and I had never stayed at a serviced apartment before but comming from someone who has stayed in plenty of 5 star hotels before- The chester residence is definatley the way forward. How many hotels do you know where the 300 DVD collection is free of charge and you have a choice of 500 TV channels including Sky sports and Sky one (my wife is a TV addict).

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Sarah1212121212
Write a ReviewReviews (1,898)

Reviewed 11 September 2008

My husband and I loved the Chester Residence. We stayed for four nights in the garden unit, and I don't think I have ever been quite so comfortable on holiday before.

What really stands out is the quality of the furnishings, fixtures plus the attention to detail. Everything you could possible need is right there. This includes a safe in the cupboard, umbrellas at the front door, a great selection of DVD's, satellite TV. The food left in the kitchen for your breakfast was plentiful - juice, coffee, milk, bread, jams, yogurts, cereal, fruit salad, eggs. They even had a bottle of Pinot Grigio and Veuve Cliquot (both for an extra very reasonable charge), and it was just so convenient!

The hosts were great, helpful making dinner/lunch reservations and ordering cabs when needed. The apt. is just a short walk away from the buses - we bought day passes and toured around all over.

We only had one sunny day while we were there, but took advantage of the beautiful garden when we had the chance. There are a couple of chairs outside to relax on.

We've never stayed at a residence apt. before, but would certainly go back!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Maishe
Reviewed 8 August 2008

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 July 2008

The Chester Residence was a late find but we're glad we carried on looking. We had two nights in the garden apartment and it was beautiful.

The accommodation has its own garden which is pretty secluded and very well looked after. The apartment itself is huge, with a big bedroom and en-suite bathroom (lovely bath and shower), sitting room with comfy furniture and kitchen with table and chairs.

The breakfast that's supplied would keep you going all day and is freshly re-supplied every day.

We had a great time in Edinburgh the Chester Residence had a lot to do with it.

And a tip - if you find a good price somewhere else, contact the residence direct and they'll match it with some extras thrown in.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ernesto61
Reviewed 7 July 2008

This was my second stay at Chester and based on my experience to date I wouldn't stay in anywhere else in Edinburgh

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 June 2008

When I read the reviews on TripAdvisor for 'The Chester Residence', my first thought was 'Can it really be this good?' And of course, it wasn't.

It was soooooo much better than that.

After all, I've stayed in West End apartment-type hotels before, so I thought I knew roughly what to expect (A fair bit of space, probably no restaurant, a small food area - maybe a large bathroom) but this is on a different level from anywhere else I've tried.

When you book somewhere you haven't stayed at there's always the knowns (i.e. room type, facilities etc) and then there's the unknowns (the cleanliness, the service etc). And once you've stayed there, you put the both together to make one whole experience, I suppose.

The Chester Residence simply delivers in both areas. The suites are larger and better equipped than on their website photos. The overall finish is of a higher quality than you expect. Whoever cleans the suites deserves several of whatever accolades they bestow in the cleaning industry, as my suite looked like I was the first ever to stay there. The service was everything you would want it to be, without ever being obtrusive.

So far so great - and then it's the little things - the attention to detail that really nails the whole experience firmly into 'expectations exceeded' territory. I can't say what did this for me, because everyone's expectations are different - but safe to say that during your stay there will be several moments where something relatively innocuous will impress you.

Now - I don't want to big this place up too much - for purely selfish reasons (i.e. I want to be able to book it next time I stay in Edinburgh.) I stayed in the Garden Suite, and luckily the sun came out to play that day. Sitting in my own private garden sipping Chablis on a summer evening is part of an experience that led me to ask myself why anyone would want to stay in a hotel when they could be sitting right where I was.

Graham and Gillian are clearly exceptional at what they do, and I hope they keep doing it for a good while yet.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 June 2008

Think of 5 star expectactions and this delivers.Would not consider staying anywhere else if these apartments are available.Excellent.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple