“Best hotel I've ever seen”

The Chester Residence
Ranked #1 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 14 February 2011

This was, without a doubt, the friendliest, most luxurious, most hospitable, most relaxing hotel at which I've ever stayed. I got a great deal, but even without the deal it's worth the price. You get what you pay for, and here you are paying for comfort and kindness. The staff treated my wife and me like family, even though we may have been of a lower social standing than some of the regular clientele. I can't recommend this hotel, or this whole city, enough, and I'm a seasoned world traveller.

• Stayed: February 2011

Reviewed 12 February 2011

We stayed for 4 nights in a 1 bed apartment at No 8 Rothsay Place. We booked this stay after reading other excellent reviews ... and we were not dissappointed. Although I expect the 1 bed apartment is smaller than several of the others, it was still more than ample for our needs. With separate lounge / open plan kitchen area, hallway, bedroom and and bathroom, the square footage was a good 3 to 4 times that of a standard room in a hotel. Indeed, just the bedroon itself was far larger than usual hotel rooms. The rooms are fully equipped throughout with 5 * facilities and we experienced total peace and quiet throughout the night. All this and the cost of our package was less than any nearby 4 * hotels were offering for normal rooms.

Only 1 potential improvement occurred to me. Having driven from West Yorks in miserable weather, we paid £75 for our car to be valet parked in their secure car park for the duration. Since the weather improved by the time we were due to leave, it would have been a nice touch to provide a car cleaning service. I would have been prepared to pay an additional charge to be able set off on the next leg of our journey in a washed and leathered car.

We would have no hesitation in returning to The Chester Residence the next time we have a trip to Edinburgh.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 February 2011

I booked solely on tripadvisor reviews, wanted somewhere very special for my husband's 50th birthday. Whilst I cannot fault the pleasant staff and cleanliness of the apartment, I was diappointed not to be in the new development but in Chester street, I wasn't told this on booking. This club apartment is large but nothing out of the ordinary. I feel the point of writing a review is to be honest so here are the negative points:
The allocated parking space is down a back alley actually parking in the yard of a terraced house, very tight and badly lit a night.
Chester street is in the next street to Rothsay place and obviously involved a walk in the rain to reception and to enjoy the free Saturday evening drinks.
Sparse tolietries and they weren't Jo Malone!
No option to order breakfast, made our own with bread and cereal left in the kitchen. A lovely hamper was also left for my husband's birthday. Thank you for that.
I asked for one bedroom to be made twin for my son, they made the biggest bedroom which was ensuite and next to the main bathroom twin! The double room not ensuite and furthest from the bathroom
The apartment also had lots of chipped paint, missing lampshade in the kitchen and personal safe's that didn't work.
Overall we had a good time but I was disappointed and felt this wasn't anything special. I didn't complain at the time because I didn't want to spoil a special weekend. Would I return, yes but to Rothsay Place.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank gymqueenDurham
ChesterResidenceRory, General Manager at The Chester Residence, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2011

Dear GymqueenDurham

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, your comments on the fact that my team looked after you and your party well and that your apartment was spotless have been passed on to the departments involved.

The other points you raised i feel i should reply to in order,

1- Our parking is on private land in a very safe part of Edinburgh, we also offer a full parking service so you can simply leave your car with my front desk team and we will park your car and return it whenever you require as you would expect with any 5 star hotel

2-You mention "Sparse toiletries , we supply both Molton Brown and White company as a standard and each room receive the same quantities , however in our directory in your room we offer a top up or replenishment if requested, please note Jo Malone is not a standard within any of our rooms but can be requested at a price as part of a special booking when booking direct with the hotel

3-Breakfast at Chester Street is always part of any booked package and includes the bread and cereal you mentioned , in addition we also supply eggs, yogurts, fresh organic milk, and butter and jam, however if you wish to order from our extensive menu there is a copy in your in room directory and we will deliver direct to your room

As with any 3rd party booking (made from any other site apart from our own) we encourage our guests to book with the hotel directly so as to guarantee location and room type.

Reviewed 30 January 2011

The Chester Residence should be the benchmark for everywhere that offers a bed for the night in the world. I am constantly travelling, staying in many hotels around Europe and have never encountered a place so welcoming, so unassuming, so utterly charming as here.

Right from stepping through the front door, to the pain of leaving you were left with this sense of warmth from the staff that I've never felt before. You are literally welcomed into their world for your trip. One highlight stands out. I was travelling back to the hotel in the car and had been a bit unwell for the previous few days, so phoned the hotel to ask if they could recommend a doctor. Expecting just to be given a number of NHS direct etc, I was amazed. By the time I was back at the hotel (10 mins) they had made an appointment for within the hour at a doctors, printed a cover note, given me directions and I was seen by the doctor about 45 minutes after phoning. Then the phone calls from the hotel to ask how I was feeling, anything they could do or get..

You can get arty, boutique hotels that look great, have all the gadgets and luxury fittings, but it all means nothing without the service from the staff. That's what sets the Chester out from the rest, what makes it stands from all the others, simply the best place to stay you could ever ask for.

Thank you for an amazing stay! It's sad in a way that it might take me a lifetime of searching to find anywhere better, I'll sure enjoy trying though!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business

Hi Benparkes

Every review like your reminds our team that we are doing our jobs!
I challenge them daily to "Never say no" and i am please on this occasion our front desk team delivered on the idea.

We believe the guest experience and time with us is at the heart of what every 5 star hotel should base its service cycle and on reading your review i thanked everyone involved with your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Chester Residence.

Reviewed 26 January 2011

We have just returned home from another visit to The Chester Residence.
It was,as usual, SENSATIONAL.
Rory the manager totally understands the needs of the discerning traveller, and he makes absolutely sure that his team of superb staff work extremely hard to achieve perfection.

As returning guests we were delighted to receive an upgrade to a mews apartment, a bottle of Moet in the fridge, cocktails on arrival and a fabulous goodie box full of designer snacks, as well as haggis and whisky on our second night (Burns Night).

We had breakfast delivered to our door every morning as part of our package - undoubtably the best breakfast ever delivered to any door.........................................

Imagine generous portions of sumptious fresh chilled fruits, greek honeyed yogurt with whole nuts, cereals, croisants and pain au chocolate (better than patisserie valerie), and depending on your appetite, charcuterie and mozerella to die for.

The Nespresso coffee machine (standard in all apartments) as well as Twinings tea box is a lovely touch, and having lots of fresh milk and mineral water in the fridge is always welcome.

Lots of reviewers have mentioned the lovely toiletries, and they are something special - Rory was aware that we were poor sleepers, and we found bottles of Molton Brown lavender sleep mist waiting for us on our pillows - how many hotel managers think of that?

It is surely down to Rory's attention to detail, drive and commitment that this place is such a success. Any idea you have for improvement he will sieze upon, and action it straight away.

There are luxury details everywhere - Alessi kitchenwear, fluffy robes, slippers and towels galore, all the technology you could wish for, Jo Malone or Molton Brown wherever you look.

Iain, Stuart, Sue and Stephen all helped to make our latest stay extra special.

Next time we must stay for longer - our only problem is that word is spreading fast about this place - so get in while you can................................!!

Dear Cashmere375

Its always very humbling to read a review such as yours, it makes us all proud to know that we deliver a perfect stay , and a "home from home" for our returning guests.

We aim for 5 star and beyond and it sounds from your review that we achieved our aim

Reviewed 23 January 2011

I took my Wife to The Chester Residence for her Birthday in January 2011 for 1 night and we were both blown away by how perfect everything was. We stayed in the Penthouse Suite - WOW! The Hotel was amazing, I would say the rooms are more like having your own apartment to live in - wish we could live there! The staff are more than accomodating and very friendly. They made us feel very welcome and looked after all our needs right from our arrival to departure. We were also greeted with a bottle of wine in our room with a personal note from the Hotel Manager wishing my Wife Happy Birthday. The Rooms are very modern with stunning decor and the Bathroom had a fab walk in shower and a two person bath where you can relax and watch the built in tv in the wall. My Wife was in her elements with all the Molton Brown Products in the Bathroom! We were also served with a glass of champagne to our room and on every Saturday evening they offer a complimentary bar for afew hours serving canapes and drinks to all their guests - this starts your evening off very nicely! You have the option of staying in your room and cooking a meal or ordering food in as there is a fully equipped kitchen and i would say this would be something we will consider next time as we would love to return The Chester Residence for more than one night and enjoy this. Overall this hotel was perfect in every way and we could not fault it. We would definately recommend you stay here and experience what we did. Special mention to Stuart who looked after us - thank you very much!

1  Thank Bear84

Mr.Bear84

Sometimes when i read reviews like the one you posted after your stay, i wonder what else we could have done to take the service you receive at The Chester Residence to the next level! I am pleased that everything and everyone you encountered made your time in residence with us so special and that your took the time to review .

The Saturday night "Bar @ Chester" is our way of spoiling our guests and reminding them what 5 stars should really mean, so i am happy you enjoyed it so much.

Reviewed 23 January 2011

After reading the reviews for the Chester Residence, I was curiious to find out if if it really was as impressive as everybody says so I cancelled a booking previously made at the Hotel du Vin, Edinburgh and crossed my fingers that it would be the perfect location for our anniversary break, It fulfilled all expectations and ticked all the boxes......plus we were upgraded from the Penthouse to the Grand Apartment free of charge which just added to the whole experience and was greatly appreciated.

Mummabluberry

Just a quick note to say thank you for reviewing our hotel , and to say that i am glad we lived up to the expectations that you had, we do try to offer upgrades where and when available , our Grand apartments really are stunning so if this helped in making your stay a special one then we have achieved our aim of going above and beyond the norm for a 5 star hotel

I look forward to having you in residence with us again soon