“Wonderfully Charming”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ingrams

Ingrams
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Ingrams
Ranked #302 of 444 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Toronto
“Wonderfully Charming”
Reviewed 18 February 2010

I had a lovely time staying at Ingram's B&B. The owners were friendly and very helpful with arranging taxis, and making suggestions on places to visit in Edinburgh. The breakfasts were delightful - all fresh food, big portions, a true Scottish breakfast! The rooms were comfortable and quite large for the UK. It's also qutie central and close to the Old Town; I was able to walk to Princes street in about 5 minutes. Ingrams is easily the equal of any B&B I've ever stayed in.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 25 September 2008

This is a delayed review prompted by a couple of adverse reviews I read when checking to see how this B&B has fared on Tripadvisor. I found the B&B charming. I was alone and in a small room on the lower level. I had exclusive use of a well thought-out bathroom, albeit down the corridor. I was there for three days and never encountered any other guest when making my way to the bathroom in the thoughtfully provided robe. My room was tiny but entirely functional with an up to date TV that gave a good picture. The room was well lit and comfortable. I found the proprietors very helpful. They let me check my emails on the hotel computer. I was also able to do my washing and drying using the hotel facilities. As others have said, the hotel is well located. Beyond the bedrooms the house is beautifully decorated with antiques. I greatly enjoyed the generous and leisurely breakfasts in the formal dining room. The porridge was the best i have ever tasted and I am keen on porridge. Mr T, the house cat was a charmer and I found the Ingrams friendly and unfailingly helpful. I thought the place a bargain at only 50 pounds a night (breakfast included).

• Liked — Value for money and personal attention.
  • Disliked — No complaints.
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank fatheralbert
Belfast
Reviewed 21 November 2007

The location is very good, about a 5-10 minute walk from Princes Street and the bus stop. I didn't know what to expect to be honest but we got a very warm welcome from the owner.

Our room was downstairs (The Yellow Room), it was a bit small but to be honest we weren't in it too long as we were eager to get out and about.

Breakfast was very nice, with the usual porrage, saussages bacon eggs etc with tea and coffee - more than enough to start the day.

Would certainly recomment it to anyone.

• Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ciaran76
Kentucky
Reviewed 14 July 2007

We chose Ingrams based on the proximate to the attractions in Edinburgh, en-suite facilities, the photos on their website, and the availability of parking. While they were within easy walking distance to everything of interest and the parking was adequate, the photos were quite misleading.

As I planned my trip across Scotland I expected Ingrams to be the most luxurious and planned to stay there both on my arrival and my departure. What happened was quite the opposite. When we arrived we were given their best room. We had to go through the cluttered laundry room to get to the room from our car but the room was clean and nice; yet fairly small.

I was told that WiFi was available but I failed to get the password at check-in and the hosts were gone later that day.

The food was quite good and the other guests were quite enjoyable at breakfast.

We were told that upon our return we would get a different room but were assured that en-suite facilities were included in that room as well. At that point they gave us our key (for our return visit) because they were not sure if they would be home at the time of our return.

When we returned we found that our room included a toilet and sink but no shower or tub. In addition the room was so small we could not walk around the bed and there was hardly any place to put our luggage. We felt this was unacceptable and decided not to move in until they arrived in order to request a different room.

While waiting about 1 hour, my wife discovered that after sitting in one of the chairs she was covered in cat hair. (My wife is highly allergic to cats.) During our discussion with the Ingrams I had mentioned that my wife was allergic to cats and that I noticed one of the pictures included their cat. They assured me that their cat had passed on and that they did not have a cat.

Upon their arrival, they seemed quite surprised at my complaint that we did not have a shower or tub in our room. Additionally he stated that we had two private bathrooms (even though the one with a shower and tub was across the main hall adjacent to the dining room). He also stated that the room included nice robes that we could use to go to the shower facilities. He finally agreed to put us in another room that included a bathtub and shower; but twin beds.

In summary, while the visit was acceptable it was far from what I expected.

• Liked — Convenience
  • Disliked — Cat hair and lack of private bath facilities
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank RichandLInda
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 November 2005

The position of this B&B is very good within healthy walking distance of most things including good restaurants.
There is limited parking space which is what attracted us in the first place but we were very disappointed by our room described legally correctly as with private facilities althoough it turned out the bath and shower were actually outside and across the front hall of the building, next to the dining room. - Private but not en suite.
Breakfast is taken communally - a nice idea in that you exchange experiences but we noted another guest complaining that they were moved out of their large room to a small one half way through their stay to suit the proprietor's planning.
More seriously, on coming to pay at the end of our stay, he charged more than quoted in the booking correspondence due to it being during the Edinburgh Festival (the very last days) justified simply by "I always raise prices during the Festival and it will cost even more next Year"!
Overall, we put up with it but I would not stay there again.

• Stayed August 2005