“Friendly Edinburgh BnB” 5 of 5 bubbles

Canadale Guest House
Ranked #128 of 445 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
“Friendly Edinburgh BnB”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

Beds were comfortable, breakfasts lots of choices and delicious. Hosts Isobelle and Harry friendly and accommodating (left cooler pack breakfast for early start). Bus Stop to city opposite BnB. Only 5 minutest to centre of Edinburgh by bus. Very happy with BnB.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

We booked two rooms for two nights for our family while visiting Edinburgh, and thoroughly recommend Craigmoss. The B&B has an extra touch of class about it, and the location is perfect.
But this hotel is a real Scottish family affair. Isabelle is the consummate host, and was great with helping with planning our activities in Edinburgh. Harry is the breakfast chef extraordinaire and got us off to a great start each day. I had a chance to sit and have a glass of wine with Isabelle and Harry one night, and loved our chat. Definitively recommended.

Room Tip: Explain to Isabelle your requirements and she will set you right.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank PaulH1961
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

stayed here for two nights in the last week of July, Edinburgh was bustling with the commonwealth games in the neighbouring town and the festival looming. the guesthouse was busy, however the 4 star standard was noticeably kept and the owners were very pleasant. our room was nice, cosy but perfectly adequate. the breakfast each day was always delicious, both myself and my partner tried something different every day and none of us had any complaints. would definitely return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

We've stayed at Craigmoss a few times now and loved it so much our family also stayed there when we got married in Edinburgh. The owners were absolutely lovely and went above & beyond the call of duty - even offering us the use of a spare kilt for the wedding day...........and the breakfast was delicious. If you want a comfortable and friendly place to stay not too far from the city center then this is the place.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Musselburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

My husband and 10 year old son stayed here in July for a 2 nights stay whilst visiting friends in lovely musselburgh we had a wonderfully friendly experience couldn't have been more friendly had a wonderful breakfast of poached egg and black pudding delicious. Our room was spacious and spotlessly clean I thnk the lady who took the time to have a quick game on my sons ipod was the owner would most definitely return and recommend to others well done craigmoss.

York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

It's been a while since I've stayed at Craigmoss, but every time I come to Edinburgh I won't stay anywhere else. You can always rely on a warm welcome, I have never been able to fault the service and I travel a lot with work and have stayed in some shockers. There has been a price change, however I have no issue with this as I will happily pay for good quality service. I've had the opportunity to stay in most of the rooms, and have two firm favourites. The décor is very calming and I am always able to relax upon my return, the beds are very comfortable and the bedding is the kind you sink into, which after a long day is just what you need.

The breakfasts available are varied and cater for all, I'm a fan of the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, you write your order the night before if possible so it's organised for the morning, however I have ordered on the morning due to my late arrival. The dining room is very chilled, bright and airy. Travelling alone with work can usually be very lonely, but I have always been able to have good craic in the morning with other diners, Harry and Isabelle which is a real credit to the feel of Craigmoss. I long for the time when I'm up in Edinburgh for something other than work, I can't recommend this guest house enough.

I have stayed in the room that can accommodate a family/ a group of friends, it's also very suitable for those travelling like myself for business as transport links are excellent, and for couples on a weekend away to Edinburgh it's close to town and within walking distance of all the main attractions of the city. A real all rounder.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

£130 a night - I'm guessing a super-huge premium was added for the Commonwealth Games. If I was charging £130 a night I would, as matter of fact, ensure a clean bathroom, big enough to turn around in without a filthy fan or unpleasant splatter marks on the wall. If I expected £130 a night I would have invested in a reliable shower which I would clean regularly. I wouldn't allow the room or bathroom to smell of damp and for that money I would have spent some time making sure I had bought a decent mattress and pillows and I would make sure my customers enjoyed big fluffy towels. I wouldn't cramp the space with an oversized, wardrobe that irritated my guests every time it had to be squeezed around. If I dared to charge £130 a night I would provide a luxury breakfast and most certainly not think that a 'Happy shopper' yoghurt was appropriate. I would not boast about my breakfast unless there was something to boast about. We too had the soured table milk and noticed that the dining room floor and vacuum cleaner seemed to have had a falling out.

Craigmoss guesthouse, is a perfectly reasonable guesthouse - if you are paying £45-55, maybe even £60 a night. If you are paying any more, then you can't help but feel disappointed and more than a little bit ripped-off. The owners were pleasant enough although we never felt like welcomed or valued guests. If we had been asked if we had enjoyed our stay, we would have been happy enough to make these comments in person.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Craigmoss, Owner at Canadale Guest House, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
I am sorry these guests did not enjoy their stay. I would much prefer if people are not happy when they stay they say at the time so that problems can be addressed. I have had no complaints about the room these guests had prior to their stay or since. These guests booked a double room and arrived with a very young baby with all the accompanying baggage. The complaint about the wardrobe is not the reason the room was cramped. These guests should have booked a family room. We are also very competitively priced and if they want to stay in a room for £40-£60 then they should visit in the winter or check out the youth hostel and even there they will be fortunate to get accommodation at that price and would be doing without breakfast..