Glendale House
US$384
US$247
Waldorf Astoria
  • Restaurant
Murrayfield Hotel and House(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$122
US$849
US$683
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Duncan and Elaine are wonderful hosts and serve a great breakfast. The Glendale House is lovely and the roses in the garden are beautiful and some are quite fragrant. Although the "Lomond" room we stayed in was small. It had all we needed. I do wish the mattress was more comfortable as well, but it should be noted I am super picky about mattresses and pillows, so anyone else may find it perfectly comfortable. Also parking on site was a huge plus, considering the city parking is hard to find. All in all, I would stay there again. It was a wonderful place!

• Stayed: July 2014
slammingdunc, Owner at Glendale House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

We too wish room 'Lomond' was a little larger, however being a Victorian home we are restrained by the size of some of the rooms, . All our mattresses are quality pocket sprung mattresses, which always have a positive feedback , however this in its self may not suit everyone ! We appreciate your feedback and as always look forward to welcoming you back to Glendale House

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I was booked into the Glendale by the University of Edinburgh as I had a meeting at King's Buildings. The location is fabulous for the university (no more than 10 minute walk away) and it is a lovely, cosy environment. Duncan and Elaine weren't in when I arrived but they left my keys and directions to room etc for me. The room was spacious, clean and well appointed (the Glendale puts many hotels I've stayed in to shame) with an excellent en-suite bathroom. The highlight is the ample breakfast in the morning served by a cheerful Duncan and Elaine - they really are stars!

I would highly recommend this guest house to anyone visiting the area, forget the Travelogde round the corner stay with Duncan and Elaine!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
slammingdunc, Owner at Glendale House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Thanks Emma it was nice meeting you, no doubt we will see you again to catch up with the chat !!

Reviewed 7 June 2014

I stayed at Glendale House in July 2002, with my mom and another mother, daughter pair. Here it is nearly 12 years later and I fondly remember what a nice stay we had. The house is very nice and Duncan made a wonderful breakfast and was very helpful in figuring out where we should go and what to see. The location was excellent, very easy to catch a bus to the sights or for wanders like us a long but interesting walk.

If I ever visit Edinburgh again I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
slammingdunc, Owner at Glendale House, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

As always your comments are greatly appreciated .We know it's a long way to come to visit our beautiful city but if you leave it another decade we cant promise we'll be here !!

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Easy access to Royal Mile by bus. Rooms and breakfast were generous. Can't say the same for their cancellation policy. Because of a flight delay we had to cut short our stay in Edinburgh by one day, but still had to pay full cost of original reservation.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
slammingdunc, Owner at Glendale House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Hello Paula & Steve
Our terms and conditions are clearly stated on the booking form which are standard within the industry and I have to say not in fine print ! .Your reservation was for two nights over a busy weekend , which you cancelled due to a flight cancellation, a few days before your arrival, suffice to say we only charged for one night, most would have charged the full cost ! . As I stated in my email to you before your arrival for the rescheduled date 'your travel insurance will cover your cost of the one night charge' . It was unfortunate that you decided not take out any insurance for this trip and I can understand your frustration as a policy would have covered this loss
We always strive to make our guests feel at home and do all we can to make their stay memorable but this was out with our control. it was a pleasure having you stay with us and we look forward to meeting you again one day soon

Reviewed 17 May 2014

This was our first lodging during our recent vacation to Scotland, and Glendale house was a pleasant introduction to this beautiful country and to Edinburgh. The room was clean and well furnished, and the bed was comfortable. I slept soundly and was not disturbed by noise from any of the neighbors. The garden was very lovely, a tribute to Duncan’s meticulous skill and dedication. Breakfast was excellent, and the ambience of the dining room was very appealing, bathed in beautiful morning sunlight. Getting around the city was not difficult. We took a cab from the airport and used the buses to get back and forth from the city center. The Cameron Toll shopping center, with a grocery store and several other shops, is a very short walk away, and we made use of that on a couple of occasions. There are lovely walks in the vicinity of Glendale house, and it takes only about 20-25 minutes to get to the city center by bus. Duncan and Elaine were friendly and welcoming, and we were very pleased with our stay at Glendale house.

Room Tip: We stayed in Leven, and were very pleased with it. It had en suite bathroom.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Your comments are greatly appreciated thank you for taking the time