Strathallan Guest House
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$250
  • Restaurant
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$271
Grassmarket Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$224
US$198
Agoda.com
Apex Grassmarket Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$151
US$140
  • Pool
US$207
US$187
US$300
US$279
Agoda.com
Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$281
US$256
Travelocity
US$222
US$201
  • Pool
US$145
All reviewsattic roomb bbus stopcommonwealth poolcity centreoff road parkingarthur's seatchoice of cerealsroyal miletop floorsmall bathroombreakfast was deliciousroom keyrestaurants and pubsbusy roadfull scottish breakfastyogurt
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 October 2012

It turned out okay after a disconcerting beginning. There was no host on the premises when we arrived after a very long drive, but by chance we met a young woman on her way out who let us in, and we found our name on an envelope with the room key inside. The room was acceptable but shabby. TV not working, internet access down, and no off-street parking spaces available to us. Calls to owner went unanswered for a long time, and he was not at all friendly or helpful when we finally spoke to him. Even just a more gracious and hospitable attitude would have made a huge difference to us, but frankly, this man was brusque and seemed annoyed. On the positive side, there was a good hot shower, and the woman who served breakfast the next morning was pleasant, and at some point internet access was restored and we were able to access it if we went downstairs with our iPad to the dining room. It's a bit of a walk to main part of city, which was okay with us, no doubt less appealing for those who don't enjoy walking or public transit. All in all, the experience was disappointing and certainly not worth the price we paid. If you'd like a warm welcome in Edinburgh, you might do better elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank speriam0
Reviewed 6 October 2012

The host is a very friendly and helpful man. But the room was extremely small, under the roof, most of it mansarde. It also was not the cleanest, the furniture somewhat worse for wear and the bathroom just unpleasantly dirty.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Stefanie H
Reviewed 4 October 2012

I have stayed in Edinburgh at the Strathallan many times, and I absolutely love it! Eamonn is such a nice gentleman, and he cooks a fabulous breakfast. The rooms are beautifully decorated, spacious, and comfortable. The house is just a mile walk from the city center, or you may catch the bus right in front of the house. Eamonn is also very helpful and knowledgeable about the area. The Strathallan really is my home-away-from home in Edinburgh; I would not think of staying anywhere else.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Greenwood_SCTeach
Reviewed 24 September 2012

This is a great guest house, with very comfy rooms, a great breakfast, friendly owners and a very good location, handy for everything in the city.
You can walk into the city without problems (about 15-20 mins to South Bridge), or if you want to go a little further, or have a suitcase, there are many buses just outside the door.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank ScarletBea
Reviewed 20 September 2012

I pick Strathallan after reading all the good reviews on tripadvisor.

Spent 8 days in Strathallan from 10th - 18th sept, on the third floor single en-suite room.
The room and the bathroom is cleaned and kept tidy every day. I have everything I needed in the room: the TV, electric kettle, hair dryer , wifi access & etc.

The famous breakfast that has been mentioned by most reviews is something that get me out of bed every morning. I was served with fresh cooked eggs, bacon, sausages, mushroom & etc. Breakfast is plentiful, with fresh fruits too!

The location is within the city but away from the busied streets. Many buses available from the guest house that connect to other part of the city. It's only ten mins walk from the university of Edinburgh.

The best part of Strathallan is the host Eamonn and his team - Molly and Lauren. They are ever so ready to offer their help whenever I asked. Leaving my older daughter behind in Edinburgh is rather painful for me, but the comforting words and assurance from Molly and Lauren really help a lot.

My family is planning another trip to edinburgh this dec to spend our christmas and new year with my daughter, we will certainly stay with the Strathallan again!

Strathallan is like a home away from home :)

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family