“Very pleasant stay”

Edinburgh Thistle Hotel
Ranked #108 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 23 June 2011

The hotel is conveniently located near the city center and easy walking distance to the sights. The staff are very friendly and accommodating and the room was spacious and comfortable. The bar is also a very pleasant place to relax and converse.

Reviewed 23 June 2011

Friendly and accommodating welcome~ Arrived early but our bags were taken so we could enjoy the area. Within easy reach {walking distance or frequent bus service) to Edinburgh's main attractions, city centre and Murrayfield ~ we were here for one night only for a concert.

Would recommend.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank AlisonP1965
Reviewed 23 June 2011

Me and my husband stayed here for 3 nights and we loved it. The hotel is small, the staff is very friendly and helpful. When we arrived we got a room at the very top, which means 6 flights of stairs to climb, but as soon as the man that checked us in noticed that I was pregnant he offerd to have us switched to a room on a lower floor as soon as possible, which would be the next day. This was very welcome so the next day while we were out enjoying the sights the staff moved our things into our new room on the first floor of rooms, only 2 flights of stairs and right next to the breakfast room. Even though we were so close to the breakfast room we were not dusturbed by the other guests comming and going in the morning nor did the "noice" from the bar disturb us as it wasn´t very loud.
The breakfast was simple but did the job, a bowl of fruitsalad and croissants and/or toast was placed on our table each morning and there was a selection of youghurts, juices and cerelas to choose from, and if you wished you could order a warm breakfast with all the trimmings.
All in all, we really liked the hotel, the staff always greated us witha smile and took time to chat a little when we cam in in the afternoons.
We would defenetly stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2011

I selected this hotel having read some Tripadvisor reviews which praised its quiet secluded location where many other Edinburgh hotels seemed to suffer late night reveller noise syndrome. In this I was not disappointed, the hotel is well-placed for the centre of town and is in a quiet respectable Georgian street and I have to say the staff were friendly and helpful. But . . . tired & worn decor, a very poor and ungenerous breakfast, four long flights of stairs to climb which would be a major issue for many visitors, noise from the hotel's own bar which rises unchecked through the large central atrium of this old property and could upset those with young children, an unwatchable TV due to awful reception and constant loud hissing. All in all I came away a little disappointed and I think the hotel in probably in need of a makeover.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Travelator6
Reviewed 18 June 2011

We stayed for two nights and loved it. It was clean and spacious. It's a 10 min walk to Princess street. The owners were very nice. There is a nice bar too, which is excellent if the kids are asleep already and you still like to have a drink.

1  Thank Catix2000
Reviewed 12 June 2011

We booked a twin room which turned out to be more spacious and comfortable that I was expecting. The hotel is located about five blocks away from Haymarket Station which means we were close enough to the center of town for shopping and dinning while being able to return to a quiet corner to relax. The bathroom was small and a little outdated but the hotel is nice and clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Wi-Fi is available paying a fare during stay. We did not need this but I think it should be included in the price when you are a guest.

1  Thank AUribe
Reviewed 10 June 2011

I stayed here for three nights with my husband and baby boy. Booking my room was very simple, I could have done it online but wanted to speak to someone regarding a cot for my son. The person was very helpful and booking was quick. I was aware of no elevator, though they did advise me and said they would try to get me a room on the first floor so it would be easier with my son.
On arrival we were greeted by Annick in reception who was very welcoming and friendly. Check in was easy and we were offered help with our bags and the buggy. The room was spacious, the cot was in place and all was very clean and tidy. Lovely high ceilings and a large tv with plenty of facilities. The bed was very comfortable with a choice of different types of pillows. The shower was lovely and warm and I loved the smell of the shampoo provided.
When we were going out and about the staff on reception were very helpful with info on buses, local restaurants or whatever you need. Greg and Annick were mainly on reception during our stay and anything we needed was got and plenty offered to make our stay easier with the baby.
We had the full scottish breakfast included in our room rate. The blonde lady (not sure of her name) was so lovely, tea and coffee was offered straight away, took our order for the cooked breakfast and offered toast and other items. The food was cooked well and tasted good, a great start to the days.
I will definitely stay here if I return to edinburgh in the future and won't hesitate to recommend this hotel to my family and friends. The location is great, we walked to the airport bus at haymarket easily and there a bus stops very near for various routes. Also it only took us a max of 10mins to get to princess street and there are also alot of eating places near by. The bar in the hotel is also a friendly relaxing place to enjoy a drink.
Also everytime we entered or left the hotel we were offered help with the buggy on the stairs, but we found it very manageable and didn't need it.

3  Thank t1981