“Ok”

Edinburgh Thistle Hotel
Ranked #103 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Everything is good, I like the traditional style of the hotel. However, there are something that need to be considered : 10 pounds for 1 day using wifi (although the price for 2 days were 520 pounds), the receptionist was sometime unfriendly (or maybe because we are Asian ethic)
The worst thing is when I met problem with the wifi connection, the receptionist didnt care about it. And when we checked out, she even slander us cheating (she said we didnt pay for the wifi internet). Although I knew that might be a mistake in their communication, it make me feel so bad :(

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 25 August 2013

Hotel was not up to the standard one associates with the 'Thistle' brand name.
The building itself was lovely outside inside would benefit from refurbishment.

Continental breakfast included in price was very poor both quality and choice. When asked if we could take some toast and fruit to our bedroom instead of eating in the dining room was informed 'we don't allow that, as you may get mice in the bedrooms if you take food to your room'. We did note although no restaurant facilities available after breakfast you could order in a takeaway meal which the staff would carry to your room and charge you £2.50 for this privelege, (obviously it appears this type of food not subject to the mice concern!!!)

Staff generally were helpful and friendly. Would not stay in this hotel when I next return to Edinburgh.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2013

The hotel was fine for our needs as we were out all day. The staff were very attentive and friendly and breakfast was continental style although we could have had a cooked one for an additional charge. The rooms were clean and well maintained but over all I think the hotel is ready to be modernised. In a nice area of Edinburgh with a 20 minute walk to the station.

Room Tip: There is no lift so choose a room on 1st or 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 August 2013

This was our last hotel on our weeks visit to Scotland. It is not the best, it was ok for our needs. It was very busy due to festivities but in nice area. Edinburgh beautiful City, so much to see here and round Scotland. Staff were friendly but breakfast was awful.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2013

It was difficult for us to find an hotel in festival period by booking only 2 weeks in advance. We selected the Thisytle because their description said there was a parking place. But they have not. They indicate to you some place at 1.5 km.
In our room the curtains and stores fell down as soon as we touched them. The flushing mechanism of the toilets was out of order. The mattres
was tired. The continental breakfeast is correct (equivalent of the one of a 2 star hotel). And this for a high price (around 200 euros per night. Hotel to book only if there is no alternative.

• Stayed: August 2013
thistlehot, Manager at Edinburgh Thistle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

Dear guest,

First I would like to apologise for the inconvenience you experience at the hotel during your stay.
A week prior to your arrival we had a roof maintenance day in prevision of the winter and this is a yearly routine check up. The workers access the roof through the windows and unfortunately did not reset the curtains properly , if I recall it was fixed straight away.
regarding the parking we do have a private parking holding 4 cars about 100 meters from the hotel, I checked on the system and the parking was free during your stay.
However the parking is £ 15 for 24 hours and it is up to the customers to use it or not.
I checked with the staff reception in attendance on this day and no booking was made for parking space .
I would like to say it was a pleasure having you as guests and we hope you enjoyed Edinburgh.
The Manager

Reviewed 13 August 2013

Stayed at the hotel during the edinburgh tattoo, but the hotel was quiet, room was good size and clean, staff friendly and continental breakfast was what you would expect. Would book this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I arrived to be told my room had the door open to keep the air flowing; yes and that was to keep the damp smell down.
Breakfast was two sittings! 0730 - 0830 and 0830-930. I arrived for breakfast at 0840 where the restaurant was full except for a single table by the door. I sat and waited for 10 mins before being told I had to wait. Two families arrived and were told to go away for ten mins. When I was served I asked if I could have a cook breakfast served after another 10 mins a plated breakfast arrived, however, I had not indicated what I wanted I just got what I was given; it was awful. Only one waitress where everything was served by her, incredible.
The city centre is about 20 mins walk away and public transport is limited. I was travelling on business and next time I travel to Edinburgh I will stay in a real Thistle Hotel not this Faulty Towers type place.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo