“A good stopover”
Review of Piries Hotel

Piries Hotel
Ranked #138 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 8 May 2013

A pleasant hotel offering reasonable value REooms were clen and large .Good as a stopover for a night or two.On the main bus route to city centre and from airport ,however a pleasant walk to the city.One drawback was a lack of reasonable restaurants in the area
Breakfast included in rate was adequate

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Khaledibrahim, General Manager at Piries Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and feedback on your recent stay at Piries Hotel, Edinburgh

I am delighted that Piries and the team have provided you with a satisfactory service

Once again we thank you for your customs

Reviewed 18 April 2013

The Piries was an okay hotel for our weekend away in Edinburgh for the money we paid. Definetely wouldnt have wanted to pay anymore though.
The room was very very small and was really warm (too warm) but the bathroom was really nice and modern. Flat screen TV. On our last morning, we were in bed in the buff and a man opened the door and walked in without knocking! It must have been staff as they had a key to get in. We didnt appreciate this, surely its appropriate to knock first???

The hotels location is very convenient for Haymarket station, but is about a 15-20 minute walk to Princes Street and the Centre. Our room rate included breakfast, but if it hadnt we wouldnt have paid the extra 6.50 supplement for the breakfast. Very mediocre continetal breakfast, often running out of different items.

We really enjoyed our weekend in Edinburgh, a fantastic city. I wouldn't neccessarily discourage people from staying at the Piries as it wasn't too bad value, but if you stretch your budget a little bit more I would do in future. And be prepared for people walking in your bedroom unannounced!!!

Room Tip: Request a larger room
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tim E
Khaledibrahim, General Manager at Piries Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on your last stay at Piries hotel, Edinburgh..

Your comments has been discussed with all team members to review the procedures and move forward

Please accept my apology for the inconvenient we may caused

Reviewed 16 April 2013

I chose this hotel as it was ideally located for the reason I was in Edinburgh.

As some other reviewers have said, the photos used to "sell" the hotel really paint a VERY different picture to reality. I feel it was WAY overpriced for the what you got - only a 3 star so I wasn't expecting super luxury but when you look at what you pay per night (not incl breakfast) I felt ripped off.

The room was tiny, literally 1ft either side of the bed before hitting the wall, and maybe 4ft at the end of the bed. The bed was comfy, but the sheets weren't big enough for the bed, and were stained. The towels were thin and rough, the whole room smelt fusty and when I walked in the radiator was on full blast so it felt like walking into a sauna. I struggled for about 5 minutes to open the window but managed eventually, and cooled the room down, only to return the following day and the maids had turned it back up full again.

I could only watch 2 channels on the TV and they kept cutting out.

Breakfast was quite dismal - the choice was really poor

On the plus side, the staff were polite, and yes, the location was ideal for me, if I had paid half of what I had, then all the niggles, I would have felt almost justifiable.

I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest
Thank you for your time and comments on your recent stay at Piries Hotel, Edinburgh

We take all our guests comments very seriously and address them when appropriate. Please accept my apology for the inconvenient during your stay

Reviewed 15 April 2013

The hotel is in a fairly quiet location near to Haymarket station. Many of the main roads in the area are closed due to the ongoing saga of laying the tramway which will continue for sometime. This can make driving to the hotel difficult in you want to drop off or park nearby.

The reception staff were very efficient and friendly but I do wondr why they require a £20 deposit for extras when there aren't any in the room. We were told we'd been upgraded to a superior room which was located downstairs. It was of a decent size and comfortable with an extra sofa bed if required.

After that everything was bad.Breakfast was a joke as there simply aren't enough tables for the number of rooms and we had to wait ages for a table to become free. When we did get one I wondered why we'd bothered as there was hardly anything left on the breakfast bar and the odd member of staff who made the occaisonal guest appearance didn't seem too concerned that there was no food left. Given that they were supposed to be serving breakfast for another hour this just isn't acceptable. When the odd titbit was put out there was nothing fresh. Tinned peaches and patries that were out of a packet isn't good enough for what is supposed to be a 3 star hotel.

What really ruined our stay was the duty staff's attitude towards some unruly guests. They rolled in drunk in the early hours shouting the odds in the corridor outside some of the bedrooms. After a brief shouting/slanging match with the duty manager these 'guests' were allowed to return to their room and have a party which kept most of the other guests awake for hours. After a brief period of quiet it was time for breakfast again and we enquired what action had been taken against those who had made out night a total misery. We were astouned to hear that the hotel had done nothing and those concerned were safely tucked up in bed asleep - LUCKY THEM!!!! Should you really allow guests to behave in this way and do nothing about it??

So overall an unpleasant experience that could have so easily been avoided by more caring and attentive staff and providing a breakfast which is fresh and edible and served in an environment that doesn't resemble rush hour at Waverley station. There are plenty of negative comments recorded in the guest book and based on our stay totally justified.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

I have discussed all the issues mentioned in your review with the hotel duty manager and other concerned department

Once again thank you for highlighting these concerns which I believe it will help us to move forward in a better operations

Please accept my apology for not meeting your expectations

Reviewed 7 April 2013

Room very clean and modern, but en suite freezing (no heater). TV poor reception and breakfast is terrible...no choice at all. No choice of tea bags, no choice of prepared fruit (only peaches in syrup), barely warm croissants, only orange juice...no apple or pineapple. Only full fat milk and yogurts....terrible breakfast. reception staff very nice but breakfast staff were slow and only refill breakfast when asked.

Room Tip: No 16 has poor reception on some TV channels.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Khaledibrahim, General Manager at Piries Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2013

Dear Guest

I appreciate and valued your comments with regards to breakfast which will be looked at immediately

Once again thank you and hope we can welcome you in near future

Reviewed 7 April 2013 via mobile

My wife and I booked this hotel, naively, just for 1 night. The online photos make the place look much better than it actually is...I think they stole the picture from another hotel. When you go in to the room, you immediately feel cheated out of your money. There was no valance sheet, to even hide the stains on the bed base. The pillows night as well have not been there either. Lighting was poor, bulbs needed changed, there were cobwebs hanging from the ceiling. On the plus side, the bathroom was very clean, good shower. Also, if like us, you like a full English breakfast after a night out, this is not the place for you. The 'continental' breakfast had a very poor selection. Staff were helpful enough, but overall, I don't think I would stay here again. Your money, versus what you get, doesn't add up!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank mrmystery1983

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at Piries Hotel, Edinburgh...

Just to confirm that all published hotel photos are true sample of the bedroom. Furthermore I would like to confirm that Piries is a 3 star Metro hotel strive to offer a high and competitive price and services

Meantime I hope we will be able to welcome you once again in near future to extend our hospitality

Reviewed 31 March 2013

Stayed at the Piries hotel for 3 nights. We had booked through a local travel agent for a double room. When we arrived and went to check in they said there had been a technical error and on our first night we were put in a very small room in the basement with 2 single beds. They did apologize about this and said we would be given the executive suite for the remainder of our stay. The room we were given after the first nights stay was bigger with a king size bed, en suite, telly etc. It was ok. Breakfast was continental not very nice and not a big selection. The tea and coffee was horrible as it was from a vending machine. Will definitely not be staying there again. Overall we enjoyed our visit to Edinburgh as we had not been there in quite a few years.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank erasure625

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and comments on your recent stay at Piries Hotel, Edinburgh

I appreciate your bedroom size which you highlighted. However, the reception team would have easily changed your room if it was communicated to them

Just to confirm that the room in question is a standard double room

However, I hope this minor won't stop you from giving us another opportunity to extend our hospitality and welcome you in near future

Kind Regards