“If you want to stay in a palace try Holyrood....if you're normal this place is fine!”
Review of Piries Hotel

Piries Hotel
Ranked #138 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Needed some where to stay in Edinburgh for a couple of nights. Booked this months ago.

Nearer the time I looked at some of the reviews and had that feeling of impending doom I had that time I stayed at the Days Inn at junction 8a of the M40!

A lot of very very derogatory reviews made me dread the 375 mile journey to our hotel.

On arrival we were greeted by a number of friendly efficient staff (one even prevented me getting a parking ticket when I was checking in). We stayed in building 4, which is next door to the main hotel/reception.

Having climbed the stairs, you are greeted by a communal kitchen/dining area. Yes there is a bicycle chained to the banisters, which seemed to upset fellow reviewer warring so much. But this is Edinburgh, if you go into any of the blocks of apartments this is common.

The room we had was Number 41, good size, at the back of the hotel so very quiet at night. While the decor wasn't the best, and by that my only criticism was that when painting the feature wall they didn't use a lot of masking tape......just my OCD kicking in three! The curtains were amazing, best blackout curtains I've ever seen, genuinely considered nicking them as I work nights and they would be great for my bedroom.

Bathroom was clean and modern with a really good shower.

Now I'll admit that we didn't really use the facilities at the hotel as we were out all day, and I can kind of see where some of the other reviewers are coming from...... But from my experience, if you're looking for a relatively cheap, honest, clean hotel near to Edinburgh city centre you can't go far wrong with this.

I know a lot of people have complained about the noise from the streets, but can you really blame the hotel owners for the fact that their victorian/Georgian buildings were built in densely populated areas.

Folks all I can say is I would be happy to stay there again, if you want to stay in a Palace, Holyrood isn't far away, try there.

Room Tip: The hotel seems to be spread through 3-4 town houses, we were in the one marked number 4. We had...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Khaledibrahim, General Manager at Piries Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at Piries Hotel, Edinburgh..

I am glad that you have had an enjoyable stay with us and the curtains were the gem..

Once again thank you and looking forward to welcome you in near future

Reviewed 28 August 2013

I have never been to a hotel where you have to request a bath mat and there are no hand towels. The whole place was shabby and dingy and the staff were either unhelpful or had zero touristic knowledge. Extremely poor value for money and a bad experience overall. Edinburgh is stunning though.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Khaledibrahim, General Manager at Piries Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments on your stay at Piries Hotel, Edinburgh. I apologize for your bad experience with us but I must say this is not our approach to guest or to our business

Bath mats are available 24hours on request(as per note in each room).this is part of our Green policy

Piries Hotel is classified as 3 stars so all rooms are maintained under this category

I hope we can welcome you once again in near future to allow us to do better

Reviewed 25 August 2013

it was not "blow you out of the water" amazing. but it was a good hotel. staff were very helpful. It was a relaxed atmosphere which I appreciated. The hotel could do to invest in a bit of bathroom maintenance. I would def go back again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank kleintjie
Khaledibrahim, General Manager at Piries Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at the Piries Hotel, Edinburgh

I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us

Looking forward to welcome you once again in near future

Reviewed 17 August 2013

Never in my life, full of travelling to many countries, have my wife or I been insulted so much by the person who should care for his clients. The General Manager K. I. The room we were to spend 6 days in was a converted chicken pen or pig sty! Definitely not the room I paid for or that was advertised in their web page. When I consulted my situation with the general manager wannabe, I was confronted with the comment...well if you are not happy just GO!!! I could not believe my ears. The staff made us feel ..'personas non grata' throughout. We wanted to leave and recommend to people not to book this hotel EVER!! Oh! And the hotel is not, as advertised, as close to the city centre as claimed!! In all ..A TERRIBLE NIGHTMARE!!!! Never again!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Khaledibrahim, General Manager at Piries Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments. on your recent stay at Piries Hotel, Edinburgh. without going into much details I would like to stress that my conversation with yourself did not go to the point that I have to say JUST GO. I put this down to language barrier. However, I would like to summarize the efforts my team done to make your stay comfortable..

You have arrived at the hotel just before midnight with 2 rooms booked, you weren't happy with your room due to your wife being claustrophobic so night staff advised to see reception next morning to change your room.

9.00AM you have met with reception and they have managed to find an alternative room(free upgrade to an executive room)

You have expressed your satisfaction and decided to continue your stay with us

Meanwhile you have booked via travel agent who have all accurate and correct information about the hotel so I believe there will be no surprises

I am positive that Piries team have done and take all necessarily measures to ensure you are satisfied during your stay

Reviewed 3 August 2013

stayed here in june for 3nights was pleasntly surprised, very cosy, and spacious.
Area is great you can get off at newmarket station and its just around the corner
Only 5 minute train to city centre.
Very quiet comfy rooms, and staff are helpful. The eating estsblishments in the area are plentiful and varied, fully recomend to families or group of friends.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank vozzian
Khaledibrahim, General Manager at Piries Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments/feedback on your recent stay at Piries Hotel, Edinburgh

I am delighted to learn that your stay was up to your expectations

Once again thank you and looking forward to welcome you in near future

Reviewed 29 July 2013

So booked this for my birthday back in April. Forgot to write a review at the time.

Room was vile yellow stains on the pillows and they had no covers, stained walls and sheets. Hairs all over bed including what looked like pubic hairs.
Had to leave and stayed in a different hotel

Glad it was through superbreak, as we were relocated and got some money back. This hotel refused to give us our money back. Vile and disgusting and really needs to buck its ideas up. Almost ruined my birthday

• Stayed: April 2013
Khaledibrahim, General Manager at Piries Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments. It took me a while to find your records as you have stayed last April 2013.

First I would like to apologize for your experience but I have to say that you didn't give the team 5 minutes to put things right(change your room for example)

With regards to refund. the team were unable to refund as your booking made via travel agent and they have to be contacted which we did so after you left

Once again I hope we can have another opportunity to make thing right in near future

Reviewed 17 July 2013

My daughter and I stayed for 3 nights in July. The hotel was like an oven and there is no aircon and only small window to open. Other rooms bathroom extractor fans extremely noisy and lots of noise from other guests. Breakfast was a disappointment - we were told that we had an upgrade and breakfast was included but when we went in for breakfast were told it was not included..it was £6 each and there was not much choice. We went to tesco express - 2 min walk - got costa coffee and pastries for lot less than £6!
The hotel is in walking distance to city centre and only short distance
from airport. The staff that we dealt with were friendly and helpful. Wifi was not free which
was unusual. Edinburgh did not disappoint - we had a fantastic weekend.

• Stayed: July 2013
Khaledibrahim, General Manager at Piries Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback with regards to your stay at Piries Hotel, Edinburgh.

May I take this opportunity and clear that your package you booked with Superbreaks was standard twin room only(breakfast not included). The reception staff did explain at check in and have managed to upgrade your booking to an executive twin room

I agree that the weather was too hot but that doesn't happen quite often in Scotland.. we will keep that in mind for next summer to be more prepared

Once again thank you for your customs and hope we can welcome you in not to far in future