“Nice Peple, Great Tea”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Description: Lovingly handmade cakes
Reviewed 18 September 2013 via mobile

After an overnight flight we needed a little caffeine to keep us going until we could check in to the Carlton, so we left our bags and went next door to Patisserie Valerie. The pastries in the window looked inviting, but jet lag caution suggested protein would trump sugar. The pot of Darjeeling tea was perfectly brewed. It is refreshing to know SOME restaurants still know how brew a good pot of tea. The poached eggs were firm-- the way i like them, so if you prefer runny eggs, you should order them that way. They also have Belgian waffles and pancakes.

That evening, after a nap, we felt like a light supper, so we returned, mostly for convenience, for salads. My wife's Greek salad was very good, with a nice fresh hummus. My 'tricolor salad' had avocado and tomatoes that both tasted like they had travelled a long way. The mozzerella and rocket lettuce were both fresh. I rarely add salt, but both salt $ pepper were needed. The Raspberry Heaven smoothie was thick & delicious. Supper for 2 came to about 26 pounds with tip.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

We arrived tired, and more than a little hungry, after having walked out of the nearby Elephant House due to terrible service.

We felt welcomed and valued as customers from the outset, and couldn't decide what to eat from the extensive menu. Our drinks were brought to us almost immediately, and our food - a sandwich and bacon and scrambled eggs on toast - were brought quickly afterwards and were hot and freshly cooked. They were delicious and the portion sizes were generous! We were so impressed that we stayed for pudding - although they had run out of what we chose first (it was late in the evening and this is to be expected with freshly prepared food), there was plenty of choice, and even our second choice was gorgeous (warm apple tart and icecream). The staff were also apologetic about this.

Definitely recommend - lovely cafe and great service!

Reviewed 11 September 2013

We were excited to go here (George IV Bridge), sadly the service was very slow (although friendly) and the cakes when they arrived were too dry to really eat (our drink arrived a good 15 minutes later). Two small cakes, one water and one coffee cost more than £10.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

I have mixed feelings about Patisserie Valerie. I have visited Patisserie Valerie on multiple occasions, both sitting in the restaurant and taking away cakes. Sometimes before when me or my fiance do well we celebrated by sharing a Patisserie Valerie cake. The cakes were not actually that good, they look good but they do not taste that great.

In addition to the quality the service in Patisserie Valerie is horrid. The servers seem snooty and were very unattentive when me and my mother went in to sit and get some cake and coffee. They additionally messed up our orders.

I have always had high expectations for this place due to its prices, and have given it multiple chances to improve, but would not recommend this to friends or family.

Pros:
- Good selection
- Clean

Cons:
- Taste not that great
- Expensive
- Snooty service/bad service
- Poor atmosphere
- Not very good at advising on allergies

Reviewed 4 September 2013

My friend and I visited Patisserie Valerie on a recent visit to Edinburgh. We arrived late morning and both had bacon , lettuce and tomato sandwich on toasted bread. Very tasty ! This was then followed by a very large slice of lemon cheesecake plus 2 cups of coffee. Hasten to say we did not eat again until 8pm that evening. The best thing about this lovely place is the staff. All immaculately turned out they couldn't do enough for us . Polite ,friendly, with a good sense of humour. Many thanks girls will see you on out next visit to Edinburgh.