“Overated, poor quality pastries”

Patisserie Valerie Northbridge
Ranked #8 of 64 Dessert in Edinburgh
Price range: US$4 - US$20
Cuisines: Belgian, Cafe
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Description: Lovingly handmade cakes
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stopped here for a lunch, excited to try their highly-recommended pastries. We ordered some club sandwiches (around £10 each) to share which were bland and served with a small garden salad and a handful of crisps. We had higher hopes for dessert - ordering an assortment of tarts - raspberry, pecan, apple, and lemon. At around £4 each, these tarts were very disappointing. The pastry was thick and not crisp and the fillings were bland and dense. We have never eaten 'French' pastries this inedible. We felt ripped off and were very disappointed. Unfortunately, Patisserie Valerie is memorable for all the wrong reasons.

There are newer reviews for Patisserie Valerie Northbridge

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Knowing the Knightsbridge one from when it first opened I was hoping for a real treat but was hugely disappointed. They are definitely trading on the name. We chose pastries to take home and ate them within the hour, just not worth it either for taste or cost so shall not buy there again.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Ate in here mid day mid week (at the start of the busy Aug Fringe Festival) - Lead straight to a seat and asked for drinks - 1 coke 1 tea 10 minutes later drinks arrived..... Had to ask to place an order even though staff were wandering round the restaurant. Ordered a bacon lettuce tomato sandwich and a Quiche dish. 30 minutes went by before we saw the food arrive. In the meantime the table next to us (a family of four who had been in longer than us) ordered 4 hot food options. 3 arrived and 1 didnt - cue apologies from waitress. The three that did were poached eggs - all of wich were completely overcooked and left by the family. The bacon lettuce and tomato sandwich was ok but for some reason was accompanied by more salad which had clearly stood for a few days as had brown edges and was starting to go limp. The quiche was as dry as I have ever seen and the pastry case disintegrated into small crumbs when cut. Quiche again was accompanied by three day old salad with a dressing which in fairness was the only edible part of the dish.

Having eaten in one of these cafe's before (only ever having had a cake/pastry) I was hugely dissapointed with the service and quality of the food. Lesson here is as a quick stop for a cake and coffee you could do far worse but for anything else - move on and look elsewhere..

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Patisserie Valerie was a wonderful find for us on holidays! During a nice morning stroll around the beautiful Edinburgh, we decided we were peckish and despite numerous restaurants being around, this was the only one we could see near the Royal Mile that had a hearty, delicious looking breakfast menu available! (It was late-ish in the morning!) My boyfriend, brother and I began with 2 Americano's and a double espresso, which we enjoyed while we chose our meals. My boyfriend and I got Croque Monsieurs, and my brother got a full Scottish breakfast! We waited maybe 15 minutes before the waitress rushed over, apologetic of the waiting time and asked us if we'd like some complimentary drinks! 3 Coffees and perhaps 12 minutes later, our food came out, with more kind apologies! Our food was amazing. Really, really delicious toasties and my brother thoroughly enjoyed his full Scottish! No greasy, fatty meats, but real food! After we had finished, the lovely waitress came with the bill and I kid you not, offered us 3 takeaway desserts for free! Honestly, if we had waited an hour, maybe that would have been suitable, but they were just so kind! They also took our original coffees off the bill! INCREDIBLE. We got 3 hearty meals, 6 coffees and 3 desserts for 18pounds!? I have to admit, the strawberry cake that I chose was delicious BUT the cheesecake my boyfriend chose was a little bland. I do think the cakes aren't the best thing Patisserie Valerie has, I think it may be a little less quality and a little more appearance, but that being said, they do amazing lunch food, and the service is incredible! DEFINITELY will return in the future, what a pleasant experience!

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

We only had coffee and some cake but the service was good the coffee was uncomplicated - you say strong coffee you don't get a blank stare followed by a "You want americano or espresso?". Overall a very good experience.