“Good pub atmosphere”

Ranked #865 of 2,460 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$12 - US$18
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Drinks, Buffet, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: New Town
Description: Situated in the historic New Town of Edinburgh the Cumberland is a must visit bar. With 8 Real ale taps and superb range of local and imported beers you are not restricted for choice. A great wine menu compliments the exciting food offering. Sunday roast of the day is very popular, with booking recommended. The bar boasts the only beer garden in the New Town and is a popular venue when the sun shines. But you can always sit in front of the open fire if the weather is a little to cold.
ontario
“Good pub atmosphere”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We had good service and great choice of draught beers. The pub itself is an interesting place as it has two main rooms and various howfs off them. A great local spot which seems to attract many locals as well as tourists to the area. We ate and drank outside on the front patio but they also have a garden section off to the right side of the entrance. A great place to visit of a warm evening.

• Visited May 2014
chasgas, General Manager at Cumberland Bar, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Thanks for the review

• Czech first
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Awful Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

I maybe should have worked out lunch wasn't going to be good when we asked for olives, bread, olive oil and balsamic but got malt vinegar instead, had to send it back and got a bag of crisps instead, couldn't stand the dreadfully slow service and it wasn't that busy, on a Sunday it most certainly should be! I don't think the waitress spoke once throughout the entire service which for three people came to over £100!! The roast beef was lovely I must say but was accompanied by the smallest bowl of mash, carrots and an awful coloured broccoli to share, think we had about a teaspoon each. I am definitely not into large portions but left feeling ripped off and hungry. Lovely bar for drinks but will never return for food.

2 Thank lOttiedOttie4
chasgas, General Manager at Cumberland Bar, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
I presume we are receiving two complaints from the same table just for you to be sure we get the message. We take ALL complaints seriously and try and implement changes where necessary. The waitress is disappointed you thought she did not speak very much. She felt she was attentive, and asked all the relevant questions. I am glad you enjoyed your roast.
Edinburgh
“Disappointing food, slow service”
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Came here hoping to get a good Sunday roast but was disappointed with what we got.

The beef and gravy were lovely but that's the only positives. Yorkshire pudding was stodgy, roast potatoes difficult to cut and my god - the bowl of vegetables what a disaster. Three of us were given one bowl of veg, so we got about a tablespoon of lumpy mash each, a tablespoon of carrots (they weren't bad actually) and the broccoli.....it looked like it had been run over, scrapped off the road and then cooked until it turned grey before being thrown into the bowl.

For what we were charged we were expecting better than this. Don't think I'd eat here again. If they can't get a Sunday roast right then I don't hold out much hope for the other dishes they have on the menu.

We spent over £100 here on three lunches and drinks and left feeling disappointed and hungry. Really wanted to like the food here as its a lovely old bar in a nice part of town and was looking for somewhere who did a really good Sunday roast. Our search continues.

The service was a bit hit and miss too.

Balsamic vinegar with rapeseed oil, and purple broccoli were obviously not to your taste. The bread and oil were provided although they were not on the menu. As you were not happy with what we provided you were asked if you would like something else, you refused, but asked for a packet of crisps. Bookings are staggered to try and facilitate a quick service, but it was obviously not to your satisfaction. I am disappointed you did not enjoy your visit.
“Good AFTER complaining....”
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

We decided to have Sunday lunch there and noted some of the negative comments from previous reviews but decided to give it a go, on the basis that things change and I like to give the benefit of doubt to a person/restaurant. On having lunch there this is what we found:-

* Sunday lunch is the choice of 1 meat. On this occasion beef
* There is no choice on how you would like it cooked. It comes med-rare.
* Staff greeted us in a friendly manner on arrival and we were seated quickly.
* The meal came out luke warm; there were 2 small roast potatoes and a small bowl of vegetables between us. We asked for BOTH our meals to be changed and asked for more roast potatoes. This was done.

Once we had a hot dinner (we noted that the staff started to use oven gloves to carry food in after we complained) the meal was very nice, although I am sure that they knew that the food was simply sitting in the kitchen getting cold.

For the desert, we shared a cheese board which was very nice. We had 2 pints of cider, 2 vodka & oranges and 2 cappuccinos to drink. We didn't have a started. The meal came to £47 which I thought was reasonable.

The seating area was by no means full and I expect that previous negative comments have put people off. If you asked me would I go back there again, the answer would be yes. After all the atmosphere was pleasant and we sat next to a fireplace.

Come on Mr Owner/Manager, listen to constructive criticism and act on it. Please don't make an excuse when the experience of a customer is poor.....

Visited April 2014
chasgas, General Manager at Cumberland Bar, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to offer your constructive criticism. Your comments and any others are taken very seriously and discussed with staff to try and ensure a great experience to all customers. However it appears we still have room for improvement, we will work on it.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Poor Christmas Lunch”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

My work colleges and I went here for our Christmas lunch and were really disappointed with the level of service and the quality of the food. Of particular note was their ewes cheese salad that had so few items on the plate that you would need a warp capable starship to navigate between the vast expanses of plate, cheese and salad. I had a mutton stew which was tough and surrounded by a sea of white plate with occasional archipelago of vegetable. In summary, poor service, even poorer food and miserable portions.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Auld F
chasgas, General Manager at Cumberland Bar, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
I am sorry you did not enjoy your visit. While I accept you are not happy, your views are not reflected by the vast majority of diners who visited over the festive period.