“So, So Dissapointing”

Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Having read lots of reviews on this restaurant, we decided to book for our Christmas company meal. In interests of giving a fair appraisal of our experience I'll break the review down into parts.

Location: the restaurant is at the bottom of a very very steep hill, which is cobbled, throw in some rain and you get a very interesting journey to the front door. One of our party is disabled and getting the wheelchair down the hill was eventful. Although the location is what it is, I thought it was worth mentioning for those who have mobility difficulties.

The upstairs bar provided us with cocktails and a warm welcome. When we moved downstairs, we again were met by some very friendly staff who showed us to our table, but that's where the enjoyment ended.

Starters: There were 4 in our party and we all had different starters. Some of the warm starters were cold (scallops & pork belly), and I had salmon with Whisky cream, which was bland and unexciting. The other's starters were equally as disappointing as mine We should have complained there and then, but as we were having our Xmas party we decided not to make a fuss - mistake 1!!

Main Course: I had a steak for my main course which was superb, unfortunately my companions were not so lucky. In summary, we had 4 plates of "Brown" food!! If popular opinion is that you eat with your eyes as well as your mouth, then this experience fell well short of the mark. The venison, duck, and steak all looked the same, with no vegetables to lift the look of the dishes. The lack of vegetables not only detracted from the look of the food, but left only a chestnut puree (with the venison) as a contrast flavour, add to that overcooked duck and you will gather that we were not overly impressed! Again we didn't complain, as apart from the food. we were having a great evening - mistake 2!

Dessert: I had read a review that the White chocolate fondant "was to die for," so my wife and I decided to give it a try. The inside of a fondant is supposed to be liquid and gooey, but the were both overdone and were baked all the way through. By this time we had given up and decided to make the best of it and leave. We mentioned this to the staff and they said they would pass on our comments to the kitchen. They waiting staff were very nice and did come back and say the would take one of the fondants off the bill.

In summary, Edinburgh is full a very good places to eat, but in my opinion this is not one of them. I would not recommend this establishment to anyone, as I would not like to be responsible for someone having the same experience as me.

2  Thank David A

Reviewed 17 December 2013

We visited in a party of 10. Nowhere on the menu/website did it say the Saturday lunch menu was a taster menu.
On arriving the service was fair and we ordered in good time. For starter, I had the seabass which was a triangle around 4cm long on a bed of 1 crushed new potato which was over salted. Overall- good ingredients, well presented- not enough.
Main course I ordered the pork which was 2 pork medallions. Somehow it was both pink and dry. 1/4 of a slice of black pudding and half a potato. I wasn't impressed.
The desert was 'cheesecake' I say this in the loosest possible way. We received around 8cm of warm, piped, sweetened 'cheese' mousse with some biscuit crumbs and a burnt twile triangle decoratively placed on top. Excluding the twile, the entire desert fitted on my spoon!
I was really disappointed to be honest and won't recommend. I may try and put people off!

4  Thank Debra M
Reviewed 15 December 2013

went here on recommendation of friends. What a great find! One of the best meals I have had in Edinburgh in he last year! Lovely entrance to the restaurant with a little outside seating area. Whisky bar lovely with most cocktails priced at just over £6. So we had a couple whilst browsing the menu. Was spoilt for choice - style is French/Scottish? The scallops with pork belly as a starter were fantastic. Wine list very affordable. Total £210 for 4 but that included 3 courses, 3 bottle of wine and cocktails. I think Michael does a giveaway lunch menu at £7.95 for 3 courses? Must go back to check it out. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 14 December 2013

In a large group of friends, the food and wine were of the highest quality. The service was prompt and polite.
My only quibble was with the portion size, too small.
The selection of wines is excellent , if a little pricey.
Finally, the decor of the restaurant is modern, light and airy.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Fantastic Christmas menu…different from the standard fayre. Cullen Skink, Juicy thick Sirloin steak. Great service