“good food”

Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: West End
Description: "Fresh, bright, and delicious" The Edinburgh Larder Bistro on Alva Street at the west end corner of Prince’s Street, with its light interior and conservatory, is the ideal place to enjoy seasonal, Scottish food! The Edinburgh Larder team works closely with local farmers, fishmongers, fruit, vegetable and drinks suppliers to bring you the best of local Scottish produce. With a regularly changing seasonal menu and daily market specials, you will experience the delicious flavours of the Scottish countryside.The buzzy atmosphere of The Edinburgh Larder Bistro is the perfect ambience to unwind as you clear your plate of daily specials and menu favourites, and quench your thirst - try one of the incredible botanical drinks produced in Scotland (Edinburgh Gin and Pincer Vodka are our favourites!); Scotch malt whiskies; or Scottish brewed beers. There's a range of carefully selected wines and fizz - we specialise in sourcing interesting bottles from small artisan vineyards, and we make our own cordials, and serve Edinburgh-based Artisan Roast coffees and Eteaket teas.
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I enjyed the food and ambience.As soon as you are seated you are offered tap water. It is rather rustic with uneven tables and rather plain glasses.The food was good and we did not feel rushed at all.They provided bread when requested and the service was friendly.There was a very argumentative family there when we arrived and the staff treated their squabbles as to where they should sit with good humour.( I can see why I should not run a restaurant) The fish was really tasty and I really enjoyed my lunch.Much better than the chain restaurants round the corner.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We had an Itison voucher for afternoon tea. We use itison a lot to try new places but we are not voucher tourists - the places we like get a lot of repeat custom.

Had an immediate issue as they could find the booking which I phoned in 2 weeks earlier. They squeezed us in. It was busy and a lovely setting with all the bare wood. We soon discovered the service was not great. The waitresses just seemed to be going through the motions like they couldn't care less. It took ages to get water and longer for them to take the order. The sandwiches, scones and cakes were ok but being Edinburgh afternoon tea aficionados they were not up to scratch of anywhere else we have been. Also we paid £16 for the voucher which we would say was about right for what we got but this is normally the per head price!!!! Probably (per person) one round of sandwich, a scone, one small cake square, one small bit of shortbread, a very small but tasty Hendricks cocktail (not served in a teapot as advertised and mentioned elsewhere) and a tea/coffee (which another reviewer was told was not included). On our way out we also saw 2 more afternoon teas being served that had more cakes than we got.

I don't think we will be back which is a shame as it is a lovely place but there were too many inconsistencies and too many other great afternoon tea places that charge around the same but with good portions - Mimi's, Eteaket or for not much more money The Balmoral or The Caledonian.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Really enjoyed the Edinburgh Larder, we had afternoon tea with cocktails. I would say I have had better afternoon teas but at posher places, this was rustic and homely and I really enjoyed it. The staff were lovely, very friendly and helpful. Would go again for dinner this time, shame it's not open on Sundays but then everyone has to have a day off!

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

I had an amazing meal here tonight with my fiancé. I am reviewing it so soon after as the food and atmosphere was just fantastic. If you like fresh food, full of flavour then this is the place to go. I had yellow courgette and garlic pesto soup to start which stayed very hot and the bread served with it was great. My fiancé had the smoked mackerel pate to start which was full of flavour. For mains we had sea-trout and pork. The desserts, ice cream/sorbet and a gooseberry cream were similarly full of beautiful flavours. All courses were perfectly sized and we left feeling a satisfied full.

I cannot rate this restaurant highly enough. From entering the place I could tell it would be great-unique decor and just a lovely feel. I would now rate this as one of my favourite restaurants, if not my very favourite. I am very picky about eating out but could find NO fault in this place. Excellent!!

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Edinburgh Larder Bistro is one of my lunchtime favourites.

Great locally sourced food, with lovely service, at a good price.

A perfect place to take the parents to.