“Scrummaliscious”

Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: West End
Description: "Fresh, bright, and delicious" The Edinburgh Larder Bistro on Alva Street at the west end corner of Prince’s Street, with its light interior and conservatory, is the ideal place to enjoy seasonal, Scottish food! The Edinburgh Larder team works closely with local farmers, fishmongers, fruit, vegetable and drinks suppliers to bring you the best of local Scottish produce. With a regularly changing seasonal menu and daily market specials, you will experience the delicious flavours of the Scottish countryside.The buzzy atmosphere of The Edinburgh Larder Bistro is the perfect ambience to unwind as you clear your plate of daily specials and menu favourites, and quench your thirst - try one of the incredible botanical drinks produced in Scotland (Edinburgh Gin and Pincer Vodka are our favourites!); Scotch malt whiskies; or Scottish brewed beers. There's a range of carefully selected wines and fizz - we specialise in sourcing interesting bottles from small artisan vineyards, and we make our own cordials, and serve Edinburgh-based Artisan Roast coffees and Eteaket teas.
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Decided to try here after checking out a few places by reveiws on Tripadvisor. So glad I did as I've just had the most delicious lunch ever and the staff were ever so friendly - it's really lifted my spirits. I will definitely be returning here and introducing my friends.

1  Thank Marnie2305

Reviewed 19 July 2014

This was the second time my wife and I have been to this gem tucked away on Alva Street. The first time we tried the pre-theatre menu, just to see if it was as good as we had been told it would be. We were so impressed we booked the following week to try the other dishes on the menu. This time I had the cream of wild mushroom soup which was so delicious if I hadn't been in a restaurant I would have licked the plate! My wife had the smoked mackerel pate which was awesome! (I had a small taste!) For mains I had the pork belly, I can't tell you how delicious it was and how much care had gone into the flavour and presentation of the dish. My wife had the sea trout, which was just perfect and again, beautifully presented and seasoned. We couldn't leave without trying a desert, the ice creams, made freshly that day were so delicious I didn't want them to end. My wife had the woodruff crème which was again, perfection. I can't find a bad thing to say about this restaurant. The service was attentive but informal, relaxed but not casual and the waitresses knew all about the food and couldn't have been more helpful. I think this will be our new haunt at the weekends. I wouldn't want to go anywhere else now for fear of missing out! Steve.

1  Thank Steve_SK7689EC
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I booked this place because of my friends raving about it. It wasn't as fancy as I thought it would be (I may have made that up in my own head) but it didn't take away from the delicious food and friendly service. My husband and I came here for our 5 year anniversary and would definitely like to come back!

1  Thank Jackie K
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Excellent food with locally sourced ingredients. I had the soup of the day to start and it was fantastic. The pre-theatre menu is a bargain. Highly recommend this restaurant!

1  Thank Jplw
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I enjyed the food and ambience.As soon as you are seated you are offered tap water. It is rather rustic with uneven tables and rather plain glasses.The food was good and we did not feel rushed at all.They provided bread when requested and the service was friendly.There was a very argumentative family there when we arrived and the staff treated their squabbles as to where they should sit with good humour.( I can see why I should not run a restaurant) The fish was really tasty and I really enjoyed my lunch.Much better than the chain restaurants round the corner.