“Valentines day dinner delight”

Ducks at Kilspindle House
Ranked #1,508 of 2,654 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Dinner on 14th Feb! Brilliant, with good service, delicious and well sized portions of food, the Love a Duck cocktail is an inspiration all leading to a fantastic evening.
Starters were Candied Beetroot soup and I had the langoustine which were delicious. Loin of lamb for Main for partner declared perfect, right level of pinkness and lambiness, I went for the wild mushroom risotto just because I could and have yet to perfect risotto at home. It was lovely and creamy with the delicate wild mushroom flavour coming through well. Puddings were chocolate fondant with Glenkinchie ice cream - that was superb, I know because I stole a taste of it. Do that ice cream again guys! I have the white chocolate mousse lovely.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We were given dinner, bed and breakfast by my sister as a Christmas present and it was such a treat. The food was really good, the chef was new and clearly making changes but for the better I think. The trouble is, is that it does need a bit of refinement, the service needs to be a bit more on the ball. The chef is clearly trying to make the restaurant more fine dining but the staff need to be trained to be more knowledgeable about the food, maybe introduce each dish and for the cheese course to tell us what the cheeses were. The restaurant wasn't open yet when we visited so we had dinner in the bistro. The menu was divided into two, one side bistro/pub fare and the other side fine dining dishes. I would say that if you ordered from the bistro side then the dishes were hearty, like my steak and chips with onion rings. But if you ordered from the fine dining menu the portions were a bit on the small side, more befitting of a tasting menu as opposed to full dishes of their own right. But having said this, the food was very tasty and gave us an insight as to the potential of the restaurant.
The rooms unfortunately were tired and needed updating. We had an avocado green bathroom suite in our ensuite and the electric shower was not great but having said that we were comfortable enough. The breakfast was good but note finishes at 9.30am so no lie in if you want your brekkie!

Reviewed 28 December 2013

We've just had a lovely family lunch at Ducks. Such a refreshing menu and so well executed. My boys had the burger, the club sandwich and the fish and chips. All loved them - especially the chips. My husband had the delicious venison and I had the beetroot risotto - a welcome change from turkey! After the amazing surf and turf we had here during the summer it was great to enjoy this friendly restaurant again. Thanks all.

Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

On arrival we were very warmly received. The new chef from Argentina fed us like royalty with the 5 course taster menu. To start with, venison tartar and scallops on a bed of creamy cauliflower purée, then sea bass cooked in a water bath and served with a tomato and black olive coulis. Next up was smoked eel and fois gras followed by polenta with pistachios and berry coulis then fillet of venison with walnut and port jus. Dessert was a beautiful apple tart tatin and toffee ice cream! All washed down with a delightful Sauvignon blanc - altogether a gastronomic delight. Watch out Martin and Tom, there is a new boy around! I will certainly be recommending this place to all our friends and family!

Reviewed 26 November 2013

Decided to eat out last Thursday at one of our favoured eating places. Great surprise and delight to find new Chef Paulo from Danesfield House in residence. You could choose from the gastropub half of the menu or the fine dining half, or mix the two. We both went for fine dining- and it was. I had a superb Jerusalem artichoke and chestnut soup, very Michelin star approach, little spots of chestnut purée supported chargrilled artichoke, which was then surrounded by a light creamy soup. Fabulous! My partner had the scallop. We both went for the venison - beautifully cooked and tender, served with really creamy mash and some buttery spinach. For once there was room for pudding which were interesting and tasty but not so fantastic as the first two courses. Overall a brilliant step forward for the restaurant/bistro with plenty of scope to develop into a really high quality eating place. I note some commentators are disparaging of the decor and ambiance. I happen to go to restaurants mainly for the food, and eat in some fairly decrepit places in France but the food is sublime. So it's really about what you feel is important. Keep going Malcolm and team and I hope others post good reviews and you get an increasing clientele of foodies.