“By far the best Yum Cha in Edinburgh”
Review of Stack Dim Sum Bar

Stack Dim Sum Bar
Ranked #586 of 2,598 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We have now had two absolutely fantastic Yum Cha meals at Stack Dim Sum bar in Edinburgh and both meals surpassed the quality of Dim Sum dishes we have had anywhere in Edinburgh or even the UK (Glasgow, London and Manchester included). I would go so far to say that it equals many of the Dim Sum restaurants we experienced in Hong Kong (the home of Dim Sum) and approaches the famous Michelin starred Tim Ho Wan for quality.

I would particularly recommend the Siu Mai dumplings as they are beautifully made and a prime example of how they should be - Although most of the dishes could be recommended. The only dish I would say was a slight (very slight) let down was the Beef Ho Fun, which was a bit under seasoned.

I have, however, only been able to give Stack Dim Sum four stars out of five due to the shortcomings in the restaurant decor (very basic) and facilities (a single toilet down a unpainted corridor) although I recognise at this £15-20 per person price point this is could be seen as fairly harsh.

Reviewed 9 July 2013

We have been here many times and loved the food - a gem in Leith. However our visit last week was very disappointing. The sui mai was a sad cousin to the plump and succulent ones served in the past, this time the diminutive prawn was wrapped in a chewy skin reminiscent of reheated frozen produce. The sticky rice was oversalted, dry and contained little meat. It may have been an off-day for "Little Cat" the chef so we will give it one more chance and hope he recovers his mojo...

2  Thank Joe S
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Been there 3 times and have recommended lots of people there also the food is very good, and I'm very very fussy when it comes to food, specially Asian food where I eat in Asian many times , I can only say the food is the best I have tried in Edinburgh for dim sum, but the service is not friendly and is cold but polite I would go more times if the service was better , but will go back again for the food for sure I can recommend to anyone that really likes good dim sum , but if you just looking for some food and good service then is a no ! But if you after real authentic dim sum don't even think 2 times this is the place to go for sure

Reviewed 16 June 2013

It was Sunday and most cafes were not opened. So when our friend recommended Stack, I wasn't expecting quality dim sum. The place was small and busy, and we managed to get a table after waiting for a short while.

Being an Asian and particularly fussy about har kow (king prawn dumpling), I was pleasantly surprised how fresh and juicy it tasted. Every plate of dim sum that came was of quality and so yummy! The portion size is also of good value; my hor fun has generous servings of king prawns.

Would definitely recommend this place, and I'm already planning my next visit with a bigger stomach space!

Reviewed 14 June 2013

I finally got round to visiting Stack Dim Sum two weeks ago after moving in round the corner 6 months back. It is always very busy whenever i've gone past so we were glad to have gotten a table when we popped in at 7pm on a Friday evening. I went with my Mum, who had also been keen to visit and who was a little more knowledgeable on the dim sum front! I needn't have worried - the restaurant kindly provide a wee tablet containing a picture menu in addition to their printed format to help you choose your order. Very helpful, if like me you struggle to create an image on something in your head when ordering! The choice was a little overwhelming, but we went for 4 dim sum and a noodle dish between us, as suggested by the menu. Everything was fantastic - the pork buns and squid cakes were exceptional and the portions very generous - what we chose was more than enough between the two of us and alongside two soft drinks and a beer came to little over £20 - bargain!

This definitely isn't the sort of place you would go for a fancy dinner or romantic meal, as the ambience is lacking a little (as is the drinks selection) but the food speaks for itself. I will definitely be back and would recommend to anyone, as with a variety of steamed and fried dumplings with meat, fish and veg fillings and a choice of noodle dishes, there really is something for everyone.

3  Thank JAG312