“4th visit and still liking it”
Review of Jamie's Italian

Jamie's Italian
Ranked #546 of 2,483 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$11 - US$25
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: New Town
Description: JAMIE'S ITALIAN EDINBURGH A partnership between Jamie Oliver and his Italian mentor, chef Gennaro Contaldo, Jamie's Italianhas won thousands of fans for its delicious and affordable food since launching their first restaurant in Oxford in May 2008. The Jamie's Italian menu is based on dishes you'd find people eating all over Italy, made with care but delivered without fuss. The family-friendly restaurants are all about serving up rustic, Italian food made using the best possible ingredients, plus fresh pasta that's made on-site every day, and an award-winning children's menu, too. The spectacular Edinburgh restaurant is housed in the former supper halls of the Assembly Rooms on George Street, in Edinburgh's city centre. Perhaps their most elegant restaurant - grand ceilings, impressive cornicing and scarlet walls, teamed with red velvet chairs and chandeliers, make Jamie's Italian in Edinburgh an amazing spot for a special night out. The central location means it's easy to drop in at any time of the day or evening too.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“4th visit and still liking it”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Joined the gold club not knowing what to expect and ticked "gold member" on booking ... can't say I noticed any difference ... maybe I was supposed to say when we arrived? Anyhoo ... crab spaghetti was lovely, hubby enjoyed his burger and the expresso profiteroles were divine (we shared but there were only 3 with some ice-cream and sauce so you could easily manage a dessert each). No its not cheap but it has a nice ambience and the staff are always very pleasant and attentive. We'll probably visit again and maybe try this gold club thingy again lol. At around £60 for a main course each, 1 dessert and 2 rounds of drinks that's about what we expect to pay in George St. Give it a go I say .. the expresso martini is fabby too, can't resist it.

• Visited March 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
durham
“I've had better didn't live up to my expectations”
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Called in on the off chance of a table being available which there was , we were greeted by very nice friendly staff who showed us to a table n quickly got us our drinks. I had the ginger mojitos which were fantastic and then I had a prosecco based cocktail which was lovely. After awhile our waiter took our order n 30mins later our food arrived I ordered the prosciutto and shaved pear salad it was ok but overloaded in salt which marred the honey and pomegranate dressing . Such a shame it didn't live up to my expectations there was no wow factor. Well not in the Edinburgh restaurant , maybe try another one when I'm in a different city.

Visited March 2014
glasgow
“Just ok”
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Went to Jamie's italian with friends from work. If you didn't know it was on the assembly rooms you would be forgiven for missing it as there is minimal signage outside.

The restaurant was lively and welcoming and we were seated I front of the kitchen. I always take this as a good sign, being able to see the cooking process, but in this instance it was unbelievably hot.

The food was a little disappointing. Our waiter never told us about the specials and I thought the menu was a bit limited. We ordered a bread selection and a vegetRian plank and could have done with some more olive oil and balsamic on our table as it was all a bit dry.

I ordered a medium rib eye stake which came out rare. At £20 I would have expected better and found the accompaniments basic (garlic chips and mushrooms) and refused to pay an addition £2.50 for truffle butter which was the only form of sauce on offer. Perhaps the pasta will be better when I go back next week for another group night out.

Scotland
“Just Nice”
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I had extremely high hopes for this Italian and unfortunately came away disappointed. The menu is quite limited with a mix between classics and slightly more adventurous options. My main issue though is that the food is average at best. I ordered a seafood spaghetti to start which was covered in a salty mixture which completely masked the taste of any other component. I then had turkey milanese for main which was greasy. The food is pricey for Italian compared to other places in Edinburgh and in my opinion not worth the extra pennies.

• Visited April 2013
Brentwood, United Kingdom
“Nice surprise”
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Popped in for a quick lunch and was nicely surprised. The decor reminded of a pie and mash shop from London's East End in the 60's - which I liked then and enjoyed now. The toilets, in line with this I suppose, were fantastic - beautifully done. The restaurant is much, much larger than it looked from the outside. Our New Zealand waitress looked after us very well. The bread and oil was a filling portion and the spicy chicken wings were just that. A good wine selection was on offer - and the coffee was tasty. I had a good time!

• Visited March 2014