“First impressions- hmmmmm! However.....................”
Review of Assembly Bar - CLOSED

Cuisines: Scottish
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Reviewed 21 October 2012

Me & my hubby & my friend & her hubby were in Edinburgh for the weekend to shop, eat, see a comedy show at the Usher Hall & more shopping! We bought 2 offer deals from Itison for a meal for 2 with a glass of wine or soft drink. Once we had finally located the Assembly Bar (please get your signage sorted!) we were welcomed & seated, very friendly helfpul staff, got our drinks and left us to make our choices from the menu. When our food arrived it looked amazing and were very generous & well presented. Each of us really enjoyed our meals, very well cooked, amazing flavours, a really enjoyable meal. One tiny little accident- the lid wasn't properly on the vinegar and resulted in a lake in my friend's bowl of fries which were promptly replaced along with an apology which wasn't necessary- accidents happen.
We had a really great time, fab meal and all agreed it was worth every penny and would return for more!
The decor looks a little tired and I've already mentioned the lack of a sign but the food more than made up for that!
If I could give some constructive feedback, be attentive of your customers & when serving the food ask if they need more drinks as the bar is very busy!

Reviewed 20 October 2012

Would never have thought of this place as it is a student venue. Would imagine buzzing at weekend but dining midweek up to the mark for slightly mature students!! Doesn't look up to much and not a fan of some of music but down to personal choice. Did not spoil the evening.

Reviewed 17 October 2012

Recently went here on a Tuesday evening with my friend on voucher deal. As people have said before, its an ideal place for students to hang out. The overall look of the place is dowdy and in need of some brightening up. The food however, was lovely. Service lacked a little and had to go to the bar to get next round in, as the bar staff were too busy chatting to their friends at the bar. But for the price we paid, it was enjoyable, but not a place I would hurry back to.

Reviewed 24 September 2012

Phone call from staff 1 hour before our booking to warn us that there was a problem with food delivery, did we want to cancel? Said no and ordered there and then. Food was great and well presented. Wine lovely too, lively place with lots of atmosphere and reasonably priced.

Reviewed 24 September 2012

This was pretty disappointing overall. While I was parking the car, my daughter and her boyfriend went in and were shown to a table by a girl who said she would come over to take a drinks order but by the time I got there 10 minutes later (Friday 21 Sepember just before 6pm) there was no sign of activity anywhere. I then stood at the bar observing the rather inefficient service being dished out and then the only girl on duty clocked off without returning to take our order. I then made sure the next bar person came and took our order without further delay-only to find out that of the 10 draught beers supposedly on offer only 1 (Fosters) was available and thay had no sparkling water, only still. Even when other people were ordering wine the staff were having to go out of the bar (somehwere) to get it which seems very strange-perhaps a sign of cash flow problems if stock is so low.
Anyway the food was excellent so no complaints there and the place had a nice atmosphere.