“Decent food, rude and unprofessional staff”
Review of Pep & Fodder

Pep & Fodder
Ranked #26 of 198 Coffee & Tea in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Scottish, British, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Broughton & Calton
Reviewed 6 June 2014

As a lover of Bon Vivant, I was keen to try their sister café Pep & Fodder. I popped in with my husband for Sunday brunch before a shopping trip. It was the day of the Edinburgh Marathon, so the café had understandably been busy. Nevertheless, we managed to find a table and ordered food at the till. We were told there was no bacon left, which was disappointing given that it was only 11am, but understanding the earlier food rush we went for our second choices. The food came relatively quickly and tasted nice. Unfortunately it was the rude and unprofessional staff that ruined the experience for us. They seemed to think that the coffee machine dividing the staff area and the seating area would form a sound barrier to what they were talking about. I can assure you that it doesn't - we could hear every word of their conversation, which culminated in one waitress claiming that she was sick of dealing with 'difficult customers' (a cleaner phrase to describe the word she used!) and marching off to the kitchen. Another waitress (who seemed to be in charge) then started going round cleaning tables moaning to everyone who would listen about how busy they had been that morning, and how she hadn't had a chance to stop for a break etc. etc. Sorry guys, I understand you've been working hard, but you knew the marathon was coming. What an amazing business opportunity - get out there, sell coffees and bacon butties to the masses for £1, take advantage of the chance to promote the café and bring in some extra money for the company and for yourself in tips. Don't whinge about how terrible the whole thing has been. And more importantly, don't bother me with your problems when I'm just trying to enjoy my breakfast.

1  Thank spetey33

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We ate at the Pep and Fodder every morning as we were staying next door at the Travelodge. The food is fresh and the croissants are the largest I have ever seen.
One small tip - if you are ordering the fruit compote and granola then make sure you have some milk or honey, otherwise the breakfast is extremely dry.
Very friendly staff

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

I often go here for lunch, both to sit in and take away, and I'd recommend it - decent selection of sandwiches, very friendly service and good coffee. Some outdoor seating in the summer as well, which is a bonus.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

we had the worst coffee of our lives in this café... the location was nice, so we stopped on our way to calton hill... what a bad idea... needed a whole bottle of water to wash down that taste... I don't know whether this was normal, or there was something wrong with the machine... but the coffee was sour and salty in a terrible way

Reviewed 1 June 2014

The bacon roll was full of fat, the pastries were tasteless and the staff were lackadaisical to put it politely. Average for a cafe in a tourist city, but compared to many of the better cafes around it is pretty poor.

2  Thank BashBrannigan