“Great Food” 5 of 5 bubbles

Pep & Fodder
Ranked #453 of 2,437 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Scottish
Good for: Kids, Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Broughton & Calton
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Great Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Great food, swift service, excellent price especially for the quality of food. I was expecting to pay at least half again. Staff might have been a little more engaging but the service was quick enough and polite nonetheless.

St. Thomas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful food, friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Wonderful little breakfast/lunch spot right next to my hotel, the Apex Waterloo. Good food reasonably priced and a helpful and friendly young staff. They didn't even mind repeating things several times as my Yankee ears had some initial difficulty with the Scottish accent. My girlfriend and I were in Edinburgh for a week and had breakfast here every morning. By the end of the week they greeted us like old friends. Highly recommended.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely place! Great breakfast when you just need something easy!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

We came in loaded with our luggage on our last day in Edinburgh. The staff were warm and welcoming and the bacon butties and coffee were just what we needed. Prices were great too. Luckily for us we had ordered a coffee before Scottish water did something to the pipes and they had to stop serving. Hopefully it didn't last that long!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Decent food, rude and unprofessional staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

As a lover of Bon Vivant, I was keen to try their sister café Pep & Fodder. I popped in with my husband for Sunday brunch before a shopping trip. It was the day of the Edinburgh Marathon, so the café had understandably been busy. Nevertheless, we managed to find a table and ordered food at the till. We were told there was no bacon left, which was disappointing given that it was only 11am, but understanding the earlier food rush we went for our second choices. The food came relatively quickly and tasted nice. Unfortunately it was the rude and unprofessional staff that ruined the experience for us. They seemed to think that the coffee machine dividing the staff area and the seating area would form a sound barrier to what they were talking about. I can assure you that it doesn't - we could hear every word of their conversation, which culminated in one waitress claiming that she was sick of dealing with 'difficult customers' (a cleaner phrase to describe the word she used!) and marching off to the kitchen. Another waitress (who seemed to be in charge) then started going round cleaning tables moaning to everyone who would listen about how busy they had been that morning, and how she hadn't had a chance to stop for a break etc. etc. Sorry guys, I understand you've been working hard, but you knew the marathon was coming. What an amazing business opportunity - get out there, sell coffees and bacon butties to the masses for £1, take advantage of the chance to promote the café and bring in some extra money for the company and for yourself in tips. Don't whinge about how terrible the whole thing has been. And more importantly, don't bother me with your problems when I'm just trying to enjoy my breakfast.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank spetey33
Ash Vale
“A warm welcome and a very nice breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

We ate at the Pep and Fodder every morning as we were staying next door at the Travelodge. The food is fresh and the croissants are the largest I have ever seen.
One small tip - if you are ordering the fruit compote and granola then make sure you have some milk or honey, otherwise the breakfast is extremely dry.
Very friendly staff