“Consistently fantastic”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Consistently fantastic”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The only restaurant in Edinburgh that I have been back to more than a few times (in fact this was my 7th or 8th visit for lunch/supper this year!). Every single time I have been to this small, charming, friendly place has been amazing.

Perhaps the biggest draw for this restaurant is the extremely interesting and varied food mix. I have had flavours and ingredients that I didn't even know existed here, put together in ways I didn't even think were possible. Since the menu changes every few months, there are always new and exciting dishes to try, and if you make it on one of the menu tasting days, you can try out the experimental options before the menu is finalised for half price - as long as you give some feedback on what you liked/didn't like! Again, it is things like this which, in my opinion, makes the Three Birds such a fantastically charming and unique place to eat (except, of course, for the new sister restaurant to the Three Birds: The Apiary). A few regular things, such as the shoestring fries which come in a paper bag, or the icecream sliders (albeit with different interesting flavours) are also very nice.

The staff are another big asset to this place: always friendly, always helpful (and major bonus points for catching me finger scooping the remaining sauce off my plate and not telling my girlfriend when she returned to the table...).

As for prices, as a cash-strapped student I am always looking for good deals on good food, and the Three Birds does very well in this regard. I have already alluded to the half-price taster menu which is a fantastic deal if you can make it - although you may end up spending just as much by wanting to try more dishes! Another good offer is the lunchtime two courses for £9.50 deal, which I have made frequent use of.

If I had to choose an area for improvement it would probably be the drinks: for example I thought the wine list was quite small, and perhaps could be done with beefing up a little bit to complement all the different flavours of food available - although this may be a space issue as it is a very small restaurant, and in any case doesn't detract from the experience significantly at all.

Overall then, can't recommend this place enough for great food, great service and a great experience.

3 Thank Ali B
Thr33B1rds, Owner at Three Birds, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Sorry for my delay in responding, Ali B - the Festival takes up a lot of time thoughout all of August! You're obviously a totally awesome regular customer....Sorry about the wee wine list, but it really IS a space issue - though we do believe it is perfectly condensed!! We have, however, had a specials board for 4/5 extra wines from Alliance Wines on the go since June, in the hope of improving our number/calibre of options...maybe you didn't see it?? We hope to keep impressing you in the future for sure! Thanks again...3B

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
“Cracking little place”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Really delightful small restaurant. Lovely food, wonderful service, very reasonably priced. Been there three times in the last month.

1 Thank Lambo68
Many thanks for cracking little review Lambo68...4 times a month??...3b
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great meal, perfect ambiance”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We're locals but hadn't yet tried Three Birds. We had dinner there on a busy Friday evening and enjoyed it immensely. The restaurant is small and somewhat crowded, which does not detract at all from the experience; the decor is understated, with a clean modern-ish bistro flavour. We ordered a few nibbles and starters and glasses of fizz to start. All were unusual, but not aggressively so, and well thought-out and presented (bread with dukkah [a spice & nut mix] and olive oil, poke [raw tuna salad, Hawaiian style], and crunchy strips of pigs ears). We shared a platter of steak frites for dinner, cooked nicely to medium rare on a bed of wilted greens. The small but well-chosen selection of beer and wine by the glass is a real bonus--the mark-up was really modest and the prices of glasses and carafes seem specifically designed not to gouge. Sangria jelly for dessert, perfect in the summer. The service was friendly and funny but still entirely professional and attentive -- kudos to the servers for squeezing themselves between tables. Great value for money, great experience, will hurry back and recommend it to friends.

1 Thank SnarkoutgirlScotland
Thr33B1rds, Owner at Three Birds, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
SnarkoutgirlScotland, thanks for noticing the service style, as well as the fair drink pricing (NO GOUGING!) and table squeezin skills....obviously your love of the food will be the main draw, and we await your next visit for the alloftheabove experience! 3b
London, United Kingdom
“Great food, great service!”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

This is our second visit to this charming restaurant and we are already anticipating our next!
The food is characterised by creative flavour combinations and is perfectly prepared and cooked. Vegetarians are catered for and the service is friendly and relaxed yet attentive.
A good wine selection and my Rocky Road dessert was fantastic!
A lovely evening!

2 Thank 30Ed12345
Thr33B1rds, Owner at Three Birds, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Good to hear you had a good night and enjoyed the veggie options we have, 30Ed12345...thanks for posting and see you again soon! 3b
“best edinburgh lunch”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My grandson took me here today and as both of us are in the catering trade and personally I have cooked,and eaten, in some of the finest eateries. This is no mean accolade when I say this is the most delicious lunch I have eaten in years.The cost £9.50 each.We ate grilled spiced mackerel,Isreali couscous with a caramelised onion and betternut salad. I ate the strips of beef on a portobella mushroom with salad.The mains were Chicken souvlaki ,pomegrenate,tabbouleh,warm tortilla and garlic cummin yoghurt. I ate Spiced pork belly with apple and vanilla sauce,duck fat roast potatoes and pickled red cabbage.Cooked to perfection and presented with style, on a busy lunchtime well done the chef.The young lady from Ardrossan was charm itself and renewed my faith in Scottish service Cannot recommend this more highly..

2 Thank m0d27
Thr33B1rds, Owner at Three Birds, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
It's special, for some reason, when caterer folks like their time with us....so thanks m0d27...Young Charming Ardrossan Lady IS very charming, but she ain't pretending! She"s just pure charmin' n that! Hopefully see youz again soon....3b