“Fantastic Meal”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 3 April 2017

We took a trip to the 3 Birds back in December as a pre-Christmas evening out with friends who were visiting. I'd long hear about the place but had never got round to going and sad that it took so long. The restaurant space is small but a very comfortable space to sit in for the evening. There were 4 of us and we all had mains and dessert and shared wine. Everyone was happy with their choices and the food is expertly prepared and presented. We didn't leave feeling hungry either so you do get a good amount. Certainly leave space for pudding as there are a good range of options, especially ice cream ones! We have just booked to go again later on this month (April 2017) and very much looking forward to it.

Date of visit: December 2016
Write a reviewReviews (887)

Reviewed 31 March 2017 via mobile

This place is exceptional! Most of the menu is gluten free and the staff are fantastic! Couldn't recommend this place enough. Thank you!!

Reviewed 23 March 2017

This restaurant has been providing delicious imaginative food and wine at amazing prices to patroons for some years. However at a recent private fundraiser function lunch for 32, it surpassed even its own high standards. Superb food, wine and convivial ambience together with outstanding service from Hedi and Bethany combined to make a remarkable afternoon for all. Many thanks. We will be back.

3  Thank GrahamJanetta
Reviewed 18 March 2017

This is about a 25-minute walk from the center of town (Royal Mile/Waverley Station) and well worth the outing. It's a casual bistro-like environment with intensely flavorful and imaginative food - it's a short menu but there will surely be something everyone will like. Very reasonable prices for the quality.

2  Thank thomasbaker
Reviewed 18 March 2017 via mobile

My wife and I visited this restaurant two weeks with my adult daughter. And it was a pleasant atmosphere and good menu. So we decided to book a table of six for yesterday to celebrate my daughters 24th birthday. We booked for six o'clock and it was made clear that we had to completed by 8. The family don't hang around when eating so I didn't think this was an issue.

So last night we dined with my elderly father, step mum, wife and both my daughters. The meal progressed albeit at a slow pace. The meal was perhaps not as good as last time but perfectly acceptable.

By 7.15 we had completed or main course and then it started. The waitress came with a desert menu and said we needed to order our deserts as quickly as possible. We were then visited by a procession of staff chasing us for order, when received our dishes- had we finished and finally - here's the bill - could we pay please. It was stressful and an experience that I have never had previously when I have eaten out.

I was asked when we were settling the bill if everything had been ok. By the way the time was 7.45. I explained how unhappy I was with the way were treated. This was a special occasion and that it was as we were being pushed out the door. The bill was £192 and as a result of my complaint they decided to provide the deserts free. This was £20 off the bill.

This was appalling service and the manager clearly did not get the point despite her apologies. So let me state the issues clearly:
- the Restaurant gave us the reservation knowing that they needed our table by 8. So they had a duty to serve us promptly and ensure our experience was not ruined.
- the restaurant took approximately 40 mins to serve our main course. That was nothing to do with us. It was their responsibility.

What was meant to be a special evening was ruined. I will never return and would not recommended it.

11  Thank V4460VJjohnc