“Such a shame... New surroundings but terrible service and lost it's atmosphere”

The Bothy Restaurant and Drinkery
Ranked #1,228 of 2,624 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We are local to the Murrayfield Hotel and have spent many a day eating and drinking and generally enjoying the atmosphere and pub... The staff have always been cheery and knowledgeable, and the management always chatted.. The new Bothy as it's now under, was such a disappointment and service was incredibly bad.. Asked for drinks and waited 20 mins before asking again, asked whether the rugby would be playing on the TV (bearing in mind this is in the heart of Edinburghs rugby area and the most local pub to it) and didn't get a reply... Away to check was another 20 mins.. Tiresome.. The fact the football was on and with no volume on and no-one was watching it, I would have thought it would have been no problem... When I asked again I was told no, when I asked why, they said they were a 'sports bar now'... Confused much?? Won't be back and ended up next door in the Hampton Bar/Hotel which had a great atmosphere, great staff and was even playing the football which was fine, but at least we knew when we asked, they told us... murrayfield hotel, you are losing valuable loyal customers by poor service!!!

1  Thank NikkiBBSS

Reviewed 16 December 2013

We went to this recently relaunched restaurant, now known as the Bothy & Drinkery on a Sunday in mid-December. First impressions were very good - they've made a fine job of the remodelling and the place is stylish and modern.

The menu is fairly standard pub-grub fare - burgers, fish and chips, steak pie - which was a little disappointing but the food was well cooked and the portions were generous. The wine list is limited but good value.

Service however was poor. After our main courses had been consumed, we waited for what felt like half an hour before we could order desserts - and even then we had to collar a waitress and ask for a menu, as one hadn't been offered to us.

Three of us ordered the cheese plate and we asked for glasses of port to accompany it. But the establishment had no port - another disappointment. So, we ordered beers instead. 25 minutes later, we had polished off the cheese, which incidentally was not very good, consisting of slivers of dry, flavourless brie, a very ordinary cheddar and an unnamed blue, but there was still no sign of our beers. So, we stopped a passing waitress and asked for our drinks. A further 20 minutes went by and still no beers.

We complained at the bar and the drinks were at last brought to us. We were told that the order had only arrived at the bar 5 minutes earlier. We couldn't understand why our two orders had been so delayed. In fairness, the bar manager decided that he wouldn't charge for the drinks, which was reasonable in the circumstances. But we didn't stay for another, going next-door to another establishment instead where service was prompt.

Overall, we were left with a prettty poor impression of a place that has received decent reviews in the press since its relaunch. Whilst the venue was good and the food was decent, the service really let the management down and it's doubtful that we will return.

1  Thank CraftBuddie
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

Thankfully, we have been before because today's visit was such a disappointment! When we arrived, it was 3pm and busy with Sunday late lunches. The table we were shown to was still a mess however the waitress cleared it and wiped the table. We were given menus and advised of the soup of the day. By the time a waitress appeared to take our drinks order, we had made our decisions and gave our entire order. People placing orders later than us were getting their drinks whilst we waited for ours. When our food arrived, we had no cutlery so the waitress rushed to get some. I asked for sauce which arrived 5 minutes into eating our meal. My friends meal was great but my steak and onion burger had no onions or relish and was really dry and unenjoyable! Normally, I would have mentioned this however a table near us had sent their meal back and the staff were too rushed for me to catch someone. When a waitress came to ask how the food was I said it was ok because we were nearly finished. Nobody came to take a second drink order despite my drink being mostly finished when our meals arrived. The only thing brought efficiently was the bill. I think the staff were unfortunately having a terrible service both in the kitchen and front of house. For customers this was clear to see. We have been before when the food and service was great so we were really disappointed.

1  Thank Claire H
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I have visited this hotel many times in the last few years before and after Edinburgh and Scotland rugby matches, and have probably spend many hundreds of pounds over the bar, but I will not be going back. It reopened its bar area recently after a refurbishment and yesterday was the first rugby international since. As usual I headed there after the game with a group of friends and the place was not good. It looks like a lot of money has been spent on the refurbishment but they have totally changed the place and clearly the rugby community are no longer their preferred customers. All traces of the rugby memorabilia have been removed and gone is the decent sized bar with plenty standing room to watch the other international matches on the TVs, as used to happen on a big rugby day. In its place a tiny bar, inflated prices and lots of tables which you are only allowed to sit at if you order food! Even though the tables were not reserved until much later in the evening, we were not allowed to sit down. Pretty short sighted if you ask me because I can guarantee the average rugby group would spend 3 or 4 times the money that 1 meal would bring them utilising the same table. We could only find a single ladies toilet in the whole bar area which is nowhere near enough. Even the 'entertainment' guy was embarrassed, and said that he was sorry he had to sing when there was rugby on the big screen, but he was just doing what he had been hired to do. The staff were a bit rude to a number of customers that I overheard, when they asked if they could use the tables & generally I heard large numbers of customers complaining about feeling unwelcome.
Yes they still had the marquees and portaloos outside for the rugby crowd, but apparently your money is only welcome if you want to stay outdoors, & even those areas were half empty compared to previously, so it seems people voted with their feet after the match. I'm sure this would be a nice hotel for you if you want a quiet weekend and dinner, but this place has always been a rugby institution and its now been destroyed. I won't go where I'm clearly not welcome so I won't be back

2  Thank scotlandgirl88
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Visited the Bothy with friends for dinner and drinks, refurbishment looks lovely however, the front room where were were seated was a bit airy, could get even colder over the Winter months and I thought having the large screen on in there was unecessary as there was no major sports event on and people who wanted to watch it could be serviced by the smaller screens.

Bothy was not overly busy however we ordered a bottle of wine and took over 20 minutes to arrive and only after we had asked another member of staff for it. When ordering our meals my friend asked one of your staff what the Afternoon Tea was like and was met with a vague shrug of the shoulders and an "alright". Food we ordered was great, good mix of items although salads are overpriced for what they are, we also ordered a side which was brought as a main despite the staff member writing down it as being a side.

Overall I think its a work in progress and hopefully once everything is finished and teething problems it will be great, love the idea of a Locals reward card and look forward to returning again to use it.