“Sunday brunch buffet”

Price range: US$13 - US$46
Cuisines: Scottish, British, Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: West End
Description: A welcoming brasserie located in the heart of Edinburgh, One Square offers a modern Scottish take on drinking and dining. Open from early in the morning until the wee small hours, this is a place to enjoy local and seasonal produce in perfectly relaxed surroundings.
Reviewed 18 August 2014

As an SPG member, I had been looking at potential restaurants we could go to to increase my SPG points. I came across One Square at the Sheraton in Edinburgh, Lothian Road plaza.

We booked for 1245 and arrived a little early. We were promtly seated after having our jackets/bags taken at a table with a window view out onto the plaza and Lothian Road. We were given a quick walk through the buffet area and advised that everything would be ready in a few minutes.

More people started to arrive and began entering the buffet area so we took this as the right moment to follow suit.

There are a plethora of starters, mains and desserts - too many to mention and all of an absurdly high quality (at least what I tried!).

For a starter, I had noted in the comments of my online booking that I was looking forward to the chicken liver pate as this is one of my favourites. We were informed when being seated that they didn't have that today but the chef was more than happy to whip it up upon request. When it arrived it was literally the best pate I have ever tasted. It was fantastic. Was also accompanied by a tasty gooseberry jam on the top layer which complimented the pate along with some warm bread that i had taken from the buffet area.

In addition to this (after all, it was a buffet!), I had some Mediterranean salad, a wonderful pea puree, excellent chicken roulades and some potato salad. All were of maximum quality and I could find no faults.

For the main, you are presented with various trimmings (potatoes - roasted and mashed - vegetables and gravies) and a choice of ham or beef (or both if you so choose) and the meat is cut by a chef who is more than happy to talk about the food, its origins and how it is cooked. I feel that the chef being so amicable and happy to chat about the food shows a sincere love of cooking and a belief in what he does. Needless to say, the mains were absolutely excellent,. I would go as far as to say that both the ham and the beef were some of the best I have ever tasted/eaten. Perfectly succulent and a joy to eat. I ended up going back for a second...and this portion although I could not finish the 3rd. beware though, the feeling of guilt for wasting anything (although intrinsic) is not nice! Someone has poured their heart out over this food and it is wrong to waste!

The desserts - a vast array of selection - were too, perfect. I opted for the white chocolate mousse and apple creme brulee.

HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

1  Thank J2705
SheratonEdinburgh, Manager at One Square, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for this outstanding review of your visit to One Square. I am delighted that you had such a great time Sunday brunch experience and thank you for the recommendation, it is greatly appreciated.
I hope we can welcome you back in the very near future, as a warm welcome awaits!

Reviewed 27 July 2014

For my third visit here I tried the Sunday buffet, which currently comes with jazz.

Obviously hotel restaurants might not inspire confidence in the food lover, and a buffet even less so: but believe me, this is not your grotty canteen version...Two excellent roasts, carved by a chef on the spot, a wide variety of terrines, mousses, pates, rillets, pickles and suchlike, and truly nice and nicely cooked/prepped vegetables (remarkable an Oriental style 'coleslaw'). They know how to cook here. And craft cheeses, an array of small desserts, a lovely steamed pudding, a profusion of chocolate (tea/coffee inclusive) will make you wish you had left some space... (The only real disappointment were the macaroons, cooled to an unpleasant crumbliness. Earlier, the Yorkshire pudding was also so-so).

The price (£29 at the time of writing) is very good value. Service is always very pleasant, smiling and efficient. A mention for the band: they won't set the music world on fire, but they are serious and seriously pleasant professionals.

All in all, I had positive impressions of the cuisine before, and in this format too they did very well. This buffet is one of the best options in Edinburgh for a relaxed, easygoing lunch of good culinary value, in a clean and pleasant (if slightly aseptic) environment: a world apart from many cheap and not so cheap tourist traps around that offer bland food of far lower standard.

2  Thank thoughtfuldiner
SheratonEdinburgh, Guest Relations Manager at One Square, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear Guests

Thank you for taking the time to write this review on your visit to One Square restaurant. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the Sunday lunch buffet and that we exceeded your expectations. I have already shared this fantastic review with my team including the kitchen team. Thank you once again, we look forward to welcoming you back to One Square.
Warm regards

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Me and my friend visited this place for afternoon tea, booked via mail and that was no problem. Beautiful surrondings and joyful waitresses. Good teaselection. Only downside where the macarons. Couldn't eat them and a cockie that tasted weeds. The rest of the food/cakes where great! The clotted cream was awesome. Recommended!

SheratonEdinburgh, Manager at One Square, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share this 5 star review on your visit to One Square. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your afternoon tea experience and the great views Once Square can offer. Thank you sincerely once again, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Warm Regards

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I booked a gin tasting for my mum and I for her birthday. The service was fantastic, the gin was beautifully presented and Harun, the man who hosted our gin tasting experience was very knowledgable and friendly. We ended up staying for three hours having such a great time. I have recommended this to loads of people and I'll definitely be back again. Thanks!

Dear Guest

Thank you sincerely for this great five star review of your visit to One Square Bar. I am pleased that you enjoyed your gin tasting experience, and I have already passed on your kind words to Harun. Thank you once again, we look forward to welcoming you back to One Square in the very near future.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We've been to One Square during our last visit to Edinburgh. It was highly recommended by our friends from Scotland's capital city.
First impression - nice, cozy place, bit retromodern, very bright and well situated in city centre at 5* Sheraton Hotel.
Our waiter Piotr was great, his recommendations of crab cake and lamb wellington were absolutely spot ons. Except that he was all over, taking care of us, keeping our glasses topped up, but never overattentive.
Food is really great, everything we've had was tasty and well presented. Prices are good as well - you will not overpay in this restaurant. There is a wide selection of drinks as well, loads of gins and whiskeys and staff that can help you with your picks - I loved Lagavulin!
Reassuming - if you want to eat something good, in good restaurant and pay normal price, go to One Square. Service as well is as good as you expect.
5* hotel, 5*restaurant too.

Dear Guest

Thank you sincerely for this great five star review of your visit to One Square. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your meal with us. I have already passed on your kind words to Piotr, he was delighted to hear your enjoyed your dining experience. Thank you once again, we look forward to welcoming you back to One Square in the very near future.