Twelve Picardy Place
  • Room Service
US$144
US$134
  • Restaurant
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$286
US$276
  • Bar/Lounge
The Scotsman Hotel(Edinburgh)
US$193
US$148
  • Room Service
Murrayfield Hotel and House(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$159
US$142
Agoda.com
Cairn Hotel Edinburgh(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$110
US$80
  • Bar/Lounge
Malmaison Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$121
US$116
Hotels.com
Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$135
US$127
US$115
US$107
Hotels.com
All reviewsno liftloch shieltop floormaster suiterainforest showermassage chairsky tvloch earnboutique hotelyork place tram stoprose petals on the bedwet roommini barlarge bathon arrivalomni centrelovely receptionist
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I stayed at 12 Picardy Place at the end of January to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday. We live in Edinburgh but I wanted to find somewhere for a luxurious night away. 12 Picardy Place exceeded expectations!

The staff at 12 Picardy Place are fantastic, and were very helpful prior to arrival, helping me find the right deal with the Steak restaurant, and of course, were very lovely during our stay, providing a warm welcome and helping with all our requests.

We stayed in Loch Katrine which was stunning. Our room was so beautiful and very clean, with high attention to detail. It was the nicest bathroom I had ever seen! Considering it is in the very centre of Edinburgh, I think the room was very quiet (facing back). It was also very warm despite it being a bitterly cold day.

We ate at the Steak restaurant in the evening which was very good - a unique building. We also had cocktails at the bar in the hotel which I'd highly recommend - the Mojitos were perfect.

Thanks to all the staff at this lovely hotel for making our weekend perfect. I hope we will be back!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank edinburghdani
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I had been looking online for somewhere special to take my mother for a combined Christmas/birthday present when I came across this lovely little boutique hotel close to Princes Street in Edinburgh. The first thing that attracted me to this hotel was its location as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was born in Picardy Place and there's a rather nice statue just in front of the building. We’re both fans of the great detective so, having read the encouraging reviews and liking the look of the place my decision was made - and what a good decision it was!

The hotel is a short walk from Waverley Station. There's a busy roundabout nearby but Twelve Picardy Place itself is set among a charming row of Georgian townhouses. We arrived early so left our luggage in a secure room, filled in some forms, ordered a newspaper for the morning and informed the lady at the reception what time we'd be down for breakfast. We also had a quick look around the lounge area which, with its lovely fireplace, muted tones and Sherlock armchairs was so inviting that we had to drag ourselves away as we had a city to explore!

When we finally saw our room we were thrilled! Each bedroom is totally unique, the focal point being the beautiful murals depicting Scottish landscapes which give the rooms their names. We stayed in the Loch Shiel suite, which is stunning. Incredibly spacious and comfortable, tastefully decorated with everything you would expect from a good hotel and more - there's a huge 3D HD-LED tv with SKY channels at the foot of the bed and there's also a massage chair. The hotel also offers complimentary wifi but I didn't try it out so can't comment on the signal strength. The bathroom is, perhaps, the biggest bathroom I've ever seen in my life and honestly, it's nicer than a lot of hotel rooms I've stayed in! The bed was very comfortable and despite the sound of traffic from outside, I fell asleep straight away.

Breakfast was included in the price and, having read the reviews, was better than expected, although if we were staying on a room only basis we probably would have tried somewhere local instead for a full Scottish breakfast, there are plenty of places to choose from.

We also tried the steak restaurant next door and really enjoyed our meal.

I would highly recommend Twelve Picardy Place for anyone planning a trip to Edinburgh and wanting to stay somewhere special. My only regret is that we only stayed one night!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Patricia B
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Me and my boyfriend (18&19years old) stayed at this hotel over the christmas period for 2 nights. We booked the executive suite which was so worth it! We were on floor 3, not a very good view but room was lovely! Huge wet room with a television next to the bath. Fab pics on and television had sky movies too. Only prob was there was no lift, walking up 3 flights of stairs in heels wasn't easy. The hotel is directly across from the playhouse where we booked tickets for lion king. The hotels restaurant is a bit pricey but loads of restaurants around the hotel. Didn't experience much service from staff to say it was good. Only thing that put me off was that i left my phone charger plug in the room and called back a few hours later when I realised I left it to be told that it wasn't there and they couldn't find it...

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Lindsay S
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Stumbling across the hotel on Expedia I decided to book a long weekend. I'm so glad I did as I wouldn't stay anywhere else now in Edinburgh! It of course has many of the comforts you'd expect of a great boutique hotel but what really differentiates it is the intimacy and the fabulous service from everyone who works there! The welcome on arrival was warm and friendly, any queries whilst we were there dealt with efficiently and friendly, personal service at breakfast and at the bar was fantastic! I can't remember the name of the guy who helped us with our wifi and heating query but we was truly great and genuinely helpful! The location is great, the rooms are chic and extremely comfortable (we loved the ultra cool shower) and the restaurant Steak, was fantastic! The steak tartare was amazing (amongst the best I've had)! So stay there, eat there, relax there. It's genuinely fab and we'll be back soon!

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Charlie H
michele c, Front Office Manager at Twelve Picardy Place, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

Hi there,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us here at Twelve Picardy Place. Please don't hesitate to email us directly at reception@twelveandsteak.com or call us (0131 556 1289) to allow us to offer the best rates available.

Kind Regards,

All at Twelve Picardy Place

Reviewed 15 February 2014

We stayed here for an early valentines getaway and we absolutely loved it. We were in the loch Tay room and it was lovely. We arrived at the hotel a couple of hours early with the plan to leave our luggage safe in the hotel, explore the city and then come back to check in when it was time but the room was already ready so they let us check in there and then at no extra cost. When we arrived we were met with a warm welcome and the man carried our luggage up the stairs for us and gave us a brief tour of our room and amenities and told us to contact reception if we had any issues...which we didn't! The room came complete with a waterfall shower which did appear to have a bit of limescale but nothing too bad and it was forgotten as soon as the shower was used! The bed was also very comfortable with lots of pillows and extra covers but we didn't need them as the room was lovely and warm. There was a reasonably priced minibar fridge which also had free REAL milk which would be replaced if we ran out. All the staff were lovely and very friendly. The only real downside was there was no onsite parking but we were directed to a car park only a few minutes walk away. On returning back to the hotel after enjoying an evening out we had a very small delay in getting our key back as there was nobody at the desk but a few minutes later she returned and was very apologetic and invited us for drinks in the adjoining bar which we refused as we wanted to get back to our beautiful room. I would definitely recommend this hotel to others. It's very original and one of the nicest places we have ever stayed

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michelle W
michele c, Front Office Manager at Twelve Picardy Place, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Hi there,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Twelve Picardy Place. Our times for check-in are, of course, vital when housekeeping need to get a LOT done in a relatively short amount of time, but we're always happy to take guests straight to their room if it's ready, allowing people to make the most of their time with us.

Please do contact us at reception@twelveandsteak.com whenever you manage to plan another little break away.

Kind Regards,