All reviewsno liftloch shieltop floormaster suiterainforest showersky tvboutique hotelloch earnwet roomyork place tram stopmini baramazing bathroomon arrivalomni centrecomplimentary upgradehuge bathlovely boutique
Reviewed 5 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at Twelve Picardy for 5 days when we visited Edinburgh and have nothing but good things to say about the hotel. It is located under 10 minutes walk to Princes Street and Waverly station, and another 10 to the Royal mile.

The rooms are modern and well decorated, with a big screen TV, bright open windows, and unique wall murals. The rooms are immaculate and safe (anyone entering the hotel has to pass right next to the front desk staff). Speaking of the desk staff, they are very friendly, helpful and knowledgable about the city.

The only issue some people may have is that the rooms on the top floor were a little bit of a climb up several flights of stairs (this is a good way of burning off those Scottish ales had in the evening...).

A nice bonus to the location of the hotel is a discreet Tescos supermarket a few doors down, and several nearby pubs with an authentic feel (Mather's and the Barony).

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JMenOttawa
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Okay so I booked this last minute i.e. on the day of staying 14th June 2014, however should that impact the standard of the hotel that we selected?

It was my birthday and we decided lets get through to Edinburgh as the sun is shining and instead of the drive home lets stay overnight in a central hotel not far from the shops, which is the best feature I found about this hotel. We wanted somewhere with a nice champagne bar which as per the hotels page you can see just that....however to see it you need to return to that page as this is no longer in operation. Straight away we were let down by false advertising.

As we wanted a nice quiet night I asked straight away about room service only to be told "we are still unsure if we are or aren't doing this but will find out for you".....you guessed it, I'm still waiting and sure even a 2 star would have a definitive answer on such a question.

The room was at the top of a rather nice looking staircase which when the receptionist/porter took us to it we were impressed with what we seen. There's a nice Scottish theme throughout the hotel and our room had a nicely decorated feature wall.

We attempted to find this now non existent champagne bar and eventually went down to the sports bar which for the females even the cocktails were beer themed so we went to use the Steak restaurant for a quick cocktail only to be met by a hostess who clearly preferred we ordered the drink and went to any other part of the hotel except her part. This made us feel extremely uncomfortable before another member of staff said "you can just have your drink in here" noticing the impact her colleague had made.

The overhead shower lit up beautifully despite the handle coming off in my hands. The door actually didn't lock meaning I couldn't get my girlfriend to rest easy in the knowledge the room wasn't safe and once she got to sleep, we were woke to the wonderful sound of the fire alarm.

First time I've checked out of a hotel at 8am so that I can get back to my own bed....save your money folks as yes it's a great location but so is a cheap bed & breakfast. This is not a 4 star run hotel and I would rather stay home than stay here again being made to feel the way we were on a special occasion.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank PaulGall81
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Booked three nights here last minute, more pricy than we would normally pay £150 sat mon £100 sun but wanted somewhere central. Georgian building so bear in mind no lift, good if you want to get fit but our quiet room at the back was on the top floor so 80 steps. Nicely designed rooms with picture wall of castle, nice touch. Shower huge and hot but power was bit variable presume age of building. We were warm enough but would seem to be little heating for winter. Hubby loved the sports bar with free pool in the basement, prices not too bad and we did sit in the courtyard bar though suspect only just starting to be used as the member of staff was cleaning a lot of it up. Didn't try the steak restaurant but looked nice. Overall fully enjoyed our stay , staff really friendly , had to get breakfast at Weatherspoons as hotel doesn't do and the mentioned urban angel had shut. Would have liked to have seen liquid soap as seemed a waste to have the small wrapped soap replaced everyday and the shampoo and soap were inadequate for 2. beds extremely comfy

Room Tip: Rooms at the back would avoid any traffic noise from the roundabout
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kasperc
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Really enjoyed my stay here, sadly it was only for one night! We upgraded to the deluxe suite room and it was lovely! We planned to go and see Edinburgh as we only had a night, but that plan went out the window and we decided to enjoy the massage chair, foot spa, the bath overlooking the city and the 3d tv and had an early night :) will be returning here again and would recommend it here!

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank kayls8888
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Such a shame, free upgrade but a shower opposite a window with no blinds, curtains that couldn't be closed as a chair in the way, dimly lit, dripping tap, and the whole hotel has one heating control in basement I was freezing. Lovely staff provided a portable radiator.

• Stayed: May 2014