“Best Guide In Edinburgh”

Edinburgh Guided Tour
Book In Advance
More Info
US$41.14*
and up
Royal Mile Guided Walking Tour in Edinburgh
Ranked #20 of 198 Tours in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Owner description: Please see a video of the tour, accessed via the photos on the left. Your host/guide on the Edinburgh Guided Tour is Stuart Usher and/or his son Richard Usher. They meet walkers outside Usher Hall, Scotland's premier concert hall and an Edinburgh Landmark. Usher Hall was donated to Edinburgh by Stuart's family which has been associated with Scotland, and Edinburgh in particular, for centuries. Stuart was also the subject of a Channel Four Cutting Edge Documentary in 2002 which is viewable on youtube. Edinburgh has everything: Its huge Castle sitting on the plug of an ancient (and thankfully dormant!) volcano, its Palace a mile from the Castle and connected by the Royal Mile, Its ancient Public and Coffee houses some of which date back to the 1400's. Also the many incredible people which Edinburgh produced or was home to over the centuries such as the world famous Robert Burns, Scotland's National Poet and Hero; David Hume the Philospher and Man of Letters; Sir Walter Scott the Historical Romance Writer; Robert Louis Stevenson, the author of "Dr Jekyll and Hyde" and "Treasure Island"; Arthur Conan Doyle the creator of Sherlock Homes and the bumbling Dr Watson! Nor can Adam Smith, the Father of Modern Economics and Alexander Graham Bell, the inventor of the telephone,be omitted, amongst many other famous men and women. You will also visit the beautiful St Giles Cathedral (there is a fee of £3.50 for parties of five or more).
“Best Guide In Edinburgh”
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

In this guide we went around Edinburgh with our old jolly tour guide Stuard Usher. We enjoyed it tremenduously. We got to visit various places of attractions in edinburgh and got to learn the history behind them. Totally recommended!

From,
Indonesia

stuart u, Owner at Edinburgh Guided Tour, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Angela

Thank you very much indeed for your wonderful Review and the Five Stars. That makes you a Star yourself!

I was much impressed with you all and the youngsters too. You all took a great interest in the city, including the youngsters. The little boy of approx five years did v well indeed to walk all those miles on his little legs ...... he will do well in life!

Remember to tell your friends in Indonesia about my Walks and of course you must come again sometime. How about getting Mrs Suharto to come on a Walk!?

God Bless you all

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Great and personal”
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Stuarts walks are small and interactive. By small I mean it was my wife and I. We met up and Stuart showed us many places, asked us questions and gave great information. He is not a corporate type of person so our tour lasted longer (we were happy about that). My wife and I dislike audio tours due to lack of interaction with each other and strangers. So this tour fit our needs. Plus his prices were reasonable and he bought us and pint of beer

Visited July 2014
stuart u, Owner at Edinburgh Guided Tour, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear F

Thank you so much for your fantastic Review... v much appreciated. As you will have gathered I also do not like the "corporate" brainwashed mentality and audios.... so impersonal amongst many other things of an undesirable nature.

I also really enjoyed our saunter through "Auld Reekie" (thats Scots tongue for "Old Smokey"!) which is Edinburgh's nickname. I am glad that you enjoyed the beer as well. I have always been a great Beer man myself!

Please come again and we could go on a different Walk.... also tell your friends in Philadelphia that Edinburgh is a city of charm as well as history, which is well worth a visit. I would be delighted to "usher" them around!!

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An enjoyable mix of knowledge and humour tailored to your needs”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My granddaughter and I took a walk with Stuart around Edinburgh yesterday and would heartily recommend it to anyone else. He was concerned to ask at the beginning what we interested in and made a special point of including the most appropriate sights. My interest in the Scottish Enlightenment led to a visit to the house of David Hume for example while my granddaughter's interest in photography was taken very seriously and appropriate spots were visited. We also visited the Scottish Portrait Gallery which was a most interesting alternative to the National Gallery and brought us 'face to face' with many of the characters we had heard about on the tour. The pace was perfect for both young and old (!) and to my amazement I could have continued after the allotted time.... Do get to know Stuart. You will not regret it.

Visited July 2014
Dear Professor L D

Thank you so much for your truly wonderful Review. I was moved to see your great animation when I pointed out one of the great David Hume's dwelling places to you. He was indeed a Giant among men and is generally acclaimed to be the greatest philosopher to write in English. F

I meant to point out his final resting place to you but forgot. Please ask your charming g daughter (name avades me right now, sorry!) to feel free to post any photo she likes onto my TA Posting or even onto my EEW website. These thing are quite beyond me but some kind Walkers have done so already. I am sure she is a doyen with the camera.

I would love to host you both again.... but this time please bring your Husband with you as well. We could view Hume's last resting place and also visit Panmure House where that other Giant of the Enlightenment, Adam Smith, died.

edinburgh
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Wonderful Entertaining Tour”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Mr Usher is a wonderful guide. He is knowledgeable, entertaining,interesting.Our tour was 3 hours long stopping at the pub for a quick refreshment. Although I have been to the National Gallery many times Mr Usher pointed out many things I had not noticed before. This was true of the tour in general, although I live in Edinburgh Mr Usher pointed out many interesting things that I had not known before.Mr Usher really is a true Scottish gentleman with a lovley wit and manner that makes the 3 hours fly by and at the end you realize with disappointment that you have to say goodbye.You really do feel that you are meandering around the city with a friend.I highly recommend Mr Ushers tour and look forward to doing it again one day.

Visited June 2014
Dear K

Thank you so much for your most fulsome Review... and my apologies for being so long in posting this reply! My computer ceased functioning and I was v busy withy the Walks .... so got a bit behind.

I really enjoyed your company v much indeed abd was particularly happy that you discovered some new aspects in the National Gallery. Edinburgh is v much like that .... always throwing up something new just when you thought you knew it all!

Please come again any time.... I would love to host you again!

Edinburgh
“Brilliant way to get a lay of the land”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

It's a rare pleasure to have a guide of Stuarts pedigree and well worth the money. He provided a fascinating insight into the historical workings of the city as well as a gentlemans and view on the modern developments along with the great humour one might expect.

Visited June 2014
stuart u, Owner at Edinburgh Guided Tour, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Jimmy

Many thanks for your fulsome Review. I am v glad that you all enjoyed our Walk so much! I certainly did myself and the more so for all your genuine interest in the City. The City has just about everything and this is reflected in its history..... the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Little wonder that it attracts more toursists than any other city in Britain, with the exception of London.

I would love to host you all again.... so do come again!