“Amazing day!”

Edinburgh Guided Tour
Ranked #14 of 236 Tours in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Owner description: Please see a video of the tour, accessed via the photos on the left. Your host/guide on the Edinburgh Guided Tour is Stuart Usher and/or his son Richard Usher. They meet walkers outside Usher Hall, Scotland's premier concert hall and an Edinburgh Landmark. Usher Hall was donated to Edinburgh by Stuart's family which has been associated with Scotland, and Edinburgh in particular, for centuries. Stuart was also the subject of a Channel Four Cutting Edge Documentary in 2002 which is viewable on youtube. Edinburgh has everything: Its huge Castle sitting on the plug of an ancient (and thankfully dormant!) volcano, its Palace a mile from the Castle and connected by the Royal Mile, Its ancient Public and Coffee houses some of which date back to the 1400's. Also the many incredible people which Edinburgh produced or was home to over the centuries such as the world famous Robert Burns, Scotland's National Poet and Hero; David Hume the Philospher and Man of Letters; Sir Walter Scott the Historical Romance Writer; Robert Louis Stevenson, the author of "Dr Jekyll and Hyde" and "Treasure Island"; Arthur Conan Doyle the creator of Sherlock Homes and the bumbling Dr Watson! Nor can Adam Smith, the Father of Modern Economics and Alexander Graham Bell, the inventor of the telephone,be omitted, amongst many other famous men and women. You will also visit the beautiful St Giles Cathedral (there is a fee of £3.50 for parties of five or more).
Reviewed 1 December 2015

My husband and I booked a private walking tour with Mr. Usher and had an absolutely incredible day. From 10 AM to 6 PM, we not only explored the city and its main attractions, but listen to the most delicious historical and literary anedoctes. Stuart will tell you all about the different architectural styles that can be seen in Edinburgh, the picturesque facts behind some very curious pub's names (The Last Drop, Maggie Dickson), and stories about queens and kings of yore, He would also tell you about real characters that inspired literary creations and even about criminals that used to terrorize the Old Town centuries ago. If you like history, literature and are not affraid to walk, this is your tour. Mr. Usher is a gentleman that loves Edinburgh and knows pretty much everything about it, and is also the best company for a pint or a cup of tea!

1  Thank Sabrina S
StuartUsher, Owner at Edinburgh Guided Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2015

Dear Sabrina

Many thanks for your marvellous Review of the wonderful day we had in auld Edinburgh.

I am sure I enjoyed it as much as you both did. You were excellent company and on top of that you both took a great interest in the city. Edinburgh's history is fascinating. This makes it the 2nd most popular tourist destination in Britain ....... only London has more tourists!

I would be absolutely delighted to host you again if you came to Edinburgh again. Until then

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"jekyll"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 29 November 2015

Very interesting. Euan was very knowledgeable, and added humor and drama to the tour. We saw and learned a lot in the few short hours in the rain!

1  Thank 57leslier
StuartUsher, Owner at Edinburgh Guided Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2015

Dear Leslie

Many thanks for your great Review. I am delighted that you enjoyed and learnt a thing or two about auld Edin....... despite the rain!

Please come again.... I would be delighted to see you again

Bw

Reviewed 24 November 2015

This tour is a must for anyone visiting Edinburgh. Even in the bitter cold, Mr. Usher brought life to the city through his retelling of the history and personal knowledge of Edinburgh. On the tour, we were brought to hidden parts of the city that we didn't even notice on our earlier walks. His love for the city is contagious and we were sad once we found out the tour was over. Although you are walking for three hours, Mr. Usher makes sure to accommodate everyone in your party. This tour is perfect for anyone looking to gain an in-depth knowledge of Edinburgh

1  Thank Danielle F
StuartUsher, Owner at Edinburgh Guided Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2015

Dear Danielle

Thank you so much for your enthusiastic Review of our Tour.

You are so right about visitors to the city missing out on all sorts of interesting places which played major roles in the history of Scotland and Britain. Of course I am delighted that I was able to take you to just some of these interesting places.to learn more about

I enjoyed all your companies v much indeed because of your well informed questions and enthusiasm to learn more about the city and its incredible past

Stuart Usher.

Reviewed 16 November 2015

Thank you for guiding us round the Old Town on Wednesday evening in what was ‘challenging’ weather at times! We all thoroughly enjoyed the tour, the stories and the entertaining anecdotes, so thank you very much. Your in-depth knowledge of Edinburgh and its history was immediately apparent and much admired by our group. As we said we were barely scratching the surface and most of my ‘foreign’ colleagues left with a very strong urge to come back again!

1  Thank Robert Y

Dear Robert

Thank you very much indeed for your fulsome Review of the Tour we had. The weather was indeed rather challenging that cold, windy and wet Wednesday evening. I enjoyed the keen interest your group took in the history of the city and their evident enjoyment of some of the more amusing episodes of centuries which took place in auld Edin....... despite the cold and wet!

I do hope you/ your group/your company contact me again. It would be a privilege for me to host you again.

Also many thanks for the lovely umbrella you gave me at the end of the Tour and I do hope you all thoroughly enjoyed your meal at the Whisky Heritage centre

Best wishes to all