“Fail on every level”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Seated for 5 minutes and had to ask twice before we even got a menu!
Limited menu and tiny portions; didn't even have salt/pepper on the table.
Massively overpriced (£5.4 for a small glass of wine) and staff haven't learnt the basics of service!
You couldn't pay me to return.

Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

We tried to book a restaurant near the playhouse but they were fully booked so decided to have dinner at the playhouse before the show, big mistake! They showed us to the table and we waited 5 minutes before the menu was presented to us or a drink was ordered!
Drink was over priced and the meal was average, I had the Thai curry which was ok but my fiancé had beef ravioli which was tasteless and a stater portion! A bottle of house wine is £23.14 and a small glass £5.40!!
Before we had all finished mains the waitress was asking what we wanted for dessert so we felt rushed to finish dining..
The bill was almost £100 and we could have had a better meal and service in wetherspoons!
We won't be back and will book elsewhere in advance next time..

Reviewed 11 December 2013

Having spent well over £100 on tickets to see the lion king as a tart for my mum'a 81st birthday I thought it would be a nice idea to just eat and drink in the theatre bar/ restaurant - WRONG! This place is awful! And I mean the food, the service, the atmosphere - all absolutely dire! Do not venture into this 'eatery'! We ordered Red Pepper and Tomato soup - what came was a plate of what was tinned tomatoes in some kind of juice - followed by a cheese and onion panini - heated I am sure in a microwave as the bread very quickly turned cold and hard! When the almost full bowls of soup were taken away the waitress did not even enquire as to why it was being left and similar with the panini! The cost of this (with two very small and very expensive glasses of wine) was £33.50!!! An absolute disgrace! I will never be back and given that there is an abundance of restaurants surrounding the theatre this was a big mistake on my part!!! Pull your socks up Playhouse Theatre!!! An embarrassment to the City!

Reviewed 5 December 2013

I had high expectations as even the cheapest seats were £36, I imagine you get what you pay for, but I'm 5feet 2inches and my knees were wedged against the seat in front of me. The person sitting to my left had no sense of personal space and invaded mine - I'm only glad she wasn't obese- in all pretty uncomfortable and I won't be back despite Edinburgh being my favourite city

Reviewed 1 December 2013

we were going to the playhouse to see the Lion king. We decided to eat in the theatre that was a very big mistake. My wife is wheelchair bound at the time of the booking we were told that there would be a table made up in the circle bar. We turned up and there was no table. nice start to the anniversary meal. the meal was terrible. When we started eating everyone was coming for a drink and we felt in the way.
please do not go for a meal to the playhouse if your in a wheelchair. The whole experience was terrible.