“Great addition to Leith”
Review of The Galley Leith - CLOSED

The Galley Leith
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A new bar & bistro on the corner of Leith. Offering a fresh new seasonal menu of local sourced produce for breakfast, lunch & dinner. Menu changes daily, check our Facebook page for daily post updates. We can cater for all dietary requirements; specialising in using gluten free ingredients, and prepare fresh gluten free baking in house.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great addition to Leith”
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Located minutes from the shore in Leith the Galley is a hidden treasure. The menu changes every day ensuring the freshest of food and you can tell this on the first bite, I had the gluten free black pudding with melted goats cheese and my partner had smoked salmon with potato bilini's and dill sauce. For mains we had sea bass with pomegranate salsa and I had the lamb shank with roast vegetables. The desserts looked fantastic too but we had no room as the portions are very generous and great value for such quality.
It could possibly be my new favourite place.

Visited May 2013

Colchester, United Kingdom
“Another place in Leith”
Reviewed 4 May 2013 via mobile

There is almost too much choice in Leith now, it's hard to stay loyal to a favourite (Roseleaf) when great new places open up every week. If you didn't go looking for it The Galley would be easy to miss, it's blue front door is facing away from Leith and towards the storage facilities, but do make the effort. Smartly decorated, well stocked bar and great good, what's not to like.

Visited May 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Worth walking the extra 2 minutes!”
Reviewed 3 May 2013

The Galley, is a small (20 seats) local bistro – specialises in fresh local produce and gluten free dishes (even offers a gluten free beer). It’s very close to all of the pubs and restaurants at the Shore – but it really is worth walking a couple of minutes to try this little gem.

Staff = friendly, chatty, helpful. Great service without being overbearing.

Food = Flavourful, tasty, well presented. The menu is handwritten each day – pretty much ensuring that everything they have is fresh and tasty.

Beverages = Good range of beers including the full William Brothers range and Estrella Damm Duara. Wine list is evolving to pair up nicely with the ever changing menu.

I have a feeling that this is going to become a my local bistro.

• Visited May 2013
“Potentially excellent”
Reviewed 16 April 2013

I came to this restaurant for lunch as I am a massive fan of its sister restaurant the compass. I wasn't disappointed. The service was quick, friendly and efficient and the staff were knowledgeable on the menu. It has that new place feel to it still and the handwritten menus and bill are lovely personal touches.

We were the only ones in for lunch at the time and that was the only thing that I felt wasn't 100%. It's quite cold decor with lots of metal, the atmosphere would benefit from even a little warmth or a candle.

The food was brilliant. I had fish and chips with minty peas and the most delicious tartare sauceand my partner had soup and a sarnie.

Excellent value for money.

I'll bethere again without a doubt. But perhaps when its likely to be a bit busier. Worth a visit and again excellent staff and food

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank lucyintheskywithgin
“Late Sunday lunch, a new place it needs to get a lot better before we'd consider going back.”
Reviewed 14 April 2013

I ordered fish main course, but three battered fish tails, or goujons turned up when I was expecting a nice big fish like it said on the menu, the chips were Ok, and probably really were hand cut but still way off the great ones from cheuchters landing, £9.95 for 3 fish tails in batter with mediocre chips, not impressed.

• Visited April 2013