“Great Refurb”
Review of The Galley Leith - CLOSED

The Galley Leith
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A new bar & bistro on the corner of Leith. Offering a fresh new seasonal menu of local sourced produce for breakfast, lunch & dinner. Menu changes daily, check our Facebook page for daily post updates. We can cater for all dietary requirements; specialising in using gluten free ingredients, and prepare fresh gluten free baking in house.
“Great Refurb”
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Wow, the owners have done such a beautiful job of refurbishing this place, it's quite beautiful.

Had seen a poster for The Galley in the Compass, I think they are sister restaurants and they are similar in some ways; the fresh bread and butter delivered to your table without charge, the quality decor & furniture, the efficient table service & hand-written menu.

We had the fish cakes to start and I didn't like them at all, they didn't taste fresh, I was surprised as the seafood in the Compass is always excellent. As a main I had a macaroni cheese, simple & delicious, exactly what I wanted. My husband had the oxtail & chorizo stew which was rich & tasty. The portions were huge, I couldn't finish my main even though I hadn't eaten the stater. For dessert we tried the fig torte but I found it heavy & cloying, again, I was too full to give it justice & barely tasted it.

I was really impressed by the menu, it all sounded fantastic but it didn't live up to the descriptions. I would go back for drinks, or maybe to sample the all day breakfast menu, but I don't think I'd go for meal choices again.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“OK, more a cafe with food”
Reviewed 23 May 2013

We were close by in Salamander Street amazed by the views of scrap metal mountains, high rise living and industrial wasteland, being gentrified as we stood and watched. We needed lunch and we popped into The Galley. It's a bit out on it's own along there and I'm not sure that many people would veer off from Bernard Street/Constitution Street/Commercial Street to visit, given the number of great places along there. However The Galley is OK - good menu and excellent chips. They immediately delivered a jug of water - excellent except for the Cucumber and Foliage and lack of ice, but it was a good touch. I had a BLT baguette with the aforementioned chips, my companion had Macaroni & Cheese, which looked great, with a proper cheese sauce. Nothing to write home about really, but very competently put together. The added bonus that they were playing Ocean Colour Scene, throughout our visit.

Reading, United Kingdom
“Worth the search”
Reviewed 11 May 2013

We would never have found this gem if we had not met the manageress of the Galley during our visit to the Compass on the previous day.
The Galley is opposite the entrance to a builder's merchant so doe not appear to be the best choice at first glance. However, the welcome is warm and the food is excellent.
This wonderful small bistro offers breakfast, lunch and dinner menu's and has a children's license so families are welcome. The atmosphere is very relaxed and welcoming.
The dinner menu changes daily hence visitors are presented with a handwritten menu. This adds to the charm. The food was excellent. We were served by the manageress who was friendly and stopped for a chat. It is worth noting that much on offer is gluten free and vegetarians should find that there is a meal worth having. If you cannot find exactly what you want, it is worth asking if an existing choice can be modified.
Having enjoyed our meal, we then bought some of the selection of cakes to eat on the following day.
My only regret was not getting the name of the manageress who greeted us with warmth and a smile.
Next time we are in the area, we will visit again!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great addition to Leith”
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Located minutes from the shore in Leith the Galley is a hidden treasure. The menu changes every day ensuring the freshest of food and you can tell this on the first bite, I had the gluten free black pudding with melted goats cheese and my partner had smoked salmon with potato bilini's and dill sauce. For mains we had sea bass with pomegranate salsa and I had the lamb shank with roast vegetables. The desserts looked fantastic too but we had no room as the portions are very generous and great value for such quality.
It could possibly be my new favourite place.

Visited May 2013
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Another place in Leith”
Reviewed 4 May 2013 via mobile

There is almost too much choice in Leith now, it's hard to stay loyal to a favourite (Roseleaf) when great new places open up every week. If you didn't go looking for it The Galley would be easy to miss, it's blue front door is facing away from Leith and towards the storage facilities, but do make the effort. Smartly decorated, well stocked bar and great good, what's not to like.

Visited May 2013