“Perfect for a city break” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tune Hotel Haymarket, Edinburgh

Tune Hotel Haymarket, Edinburgh
Ranked #105 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
“Perfect for a city break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

My partner and I stayed here in March for 2 nights. As there is no car park we chose to travel by train and we were delighted to see how close the hotel was when we walked out of the train station. The rooms are compact but immaculate and all you need for a crash pad. Unfortunately the restaurant hadn't opened yet when we stayed but there is so much choice available within a very close vicinity it was difficult trying to pick somewhere.

Next time we are in edinburgh we would definitely pay a return visit.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ray C, General Manager at Tune Hotel Haymarket, Edinburgh, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Agreed - perfect location. See you soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (451)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

No room for any size of suitcase in the room. No windows meant no ventilation and we were tired constantly because of this. The bathroom door is glass so my friend could see me going to the toilet or having a shower - very uncomfortable. My advice would be to definitely stay in a room with a window and 2 single beds (as these rooms my have more suitcase space. It astounds me that a hotel doesn't provide space for even one suitcase..
However, the room was very clean and modern and we were thankful for the air conditioner providing some sort of relief from the stuffiness of the room with otherwise no ventilation.
Not a choice I will be making again!

Stayed July 2014
Just a few points to mention. Rooms without a window are purchased out of choice. They are cheaper (usually by £10 a night) than rooms with windows. The majority of our 179 bedrooms have windows. Storage for cases is under bed - by design. The bathroom door is frosted glass, Adds to the modernistic feel of the accommodation. Fresh air from the roof is pumped in to the windowless rooms plus extraction plus air con controlled in the room. Sorry that the room style didn't suit you. Pop back and have a room with a view next time.
coventry uk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel for one night.

Due to train chaos I didn't arrive until midnight. Check in was easy.

The rate I paid through Booking.com included towels, tv, wifi etc. But I was shocked these were optional extras for others.

The room was extremely tiny, not good for anyone claustrophobic. The bed was tiny and rock hard. The linen was thin and didn't cover the whole bed. It was looked grubby.

The bathroom was very small, but clean.

Quite a few of the tv channels did not work.

The worst issue was that the room was so noisy. I was awoken several times in the night, by banging and traffic. As a lone female traveller, I didn't feel very secure.

The pub next door did a lovely breakfast.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank couchguru
Ray C, General Manager at Tune Hotel Haymarket, Edinburgh, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
I was sorry to learn that you had disrupted travel plans. Not the best way to enjoy our hospitality. Particularly sorry that you encountered noisy traffic and banging. As you read other reviews, you can see that most have not had disturbed nights, so I am very sorry that this was the case for you. I will look in detail at the room you were allocated and review its presentation. Understand your observation given that you booked through a third party. We are very up front about the great cost saving opportunities that some of our guests can enjoy and do enjoy playing with what they want or need, to keep down the price. Have a look at the Tune website if you have another visit to Edinburgh. Let me know you are coming and I will ensure that you get a nice quiet room.

Fairfield, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

A pleasant clean hotel ideal for a short stay. The staff were very helpful, honest and friendly .
The hotel is well situated with easy access from the airport and next to the train station. A big disadvantage is no parking facilities at the hotel, I was given directions for a cheap parking garage over the weekend which was advertised at five pounds per day unfortunately this seems to end at midnight on Sunday and was actually charged thirty pounds on the Monday morning. Probably if I was on a short stay I would used the hotel but would get around by taxi rather than hiring a car..

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Very pleased to read that you had a pleasant stay with us. Sorry about the parking. Edinburgh City hotels have limited if no parking and its not the easiest and certainly not the cheapest city to bring a car. My advice to would be car drivers is to leave the car on the outskirts - eg Ferrytoll and catch the bus or train in to the centre. Parking is then free and the bus fares reasonable. You would be amazed how many commuters do just that. Unfortunately Edinburgh City Planning Department would not allow parking at the developed Tune Hotel in Haymarket wishing to encourage visitors to come by train/bus/tram.

Brockworth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed in this hotel fr two nights in June 2014 . Main reason for choosing it was its proximity to Edinburgh International Conference Centre. It was only 5 minutes walk from the centre. To leave my bag in reception I was charged £2 when I checked in in and on day of check out. This was the first time I had to pay to leave my bah in a hotel where I was staying. Room was small but clean and modern. I could only find one electricity socket which was slightly inconvenient. Room was not cleaned and pin was as I left it when I came back on my second night. Primary advantage is location in front of Haymarket station. Not sure if I would choose to stay there again although it is very convenient for a single business traveller.

Room Tip: Room on sixth floor was quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Really sorry that you went away with that impression. The concept is to keep the costs to you down by stripping out those elements that you do not want or don't really want to pay for. We do not service rooms every day and therefore the cost savings are yours. It wasn't something that we overlooked. The way the charges work is that if you use something, then it is charged for so baggage drop is a service at the hotel which enables you to get out and enjoy Edinburgh, or as in your case leave your luggage while you went to the conference without having to carry it with you or check in a day earlier. Very cost effective at £2. If you didn't want or need to drop your luggage why would you want to pay for it? Every service in a hotel has to be paid for whether it is used or not, so we only charge if you use it. Seems fair? Just as a comparison - Waverley Station charges £10 per bag over 3 hours. I can see that you are a seasoned reviewer and we will take your view into account when looking at how we continue to work with add on charges. As you said though - its a great location especially its proximity to the Edinburgh International Conference Centre. Just 5 mins walk.

Montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

The rooms are not extremely big but suffiicent. You pay for what you get. I had goods nights of sleep in this hotel. It was very clean te staff adress and correct promtly any issue you may have. Your are located from walking distance of many attraction of the city.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your review. From a well seasoned reviewer we appreciate your input and hope that we see you again soon.

Cairns Region, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

I love the fact you can chose what you want in terms of adds on and pay only for what you want, is kind of cool. Paid extra for towels and got great big awesome ones! The room was adequate for our stay, as we stayed before and after a tour to the highlands so was not in the room except to sleep. The check in staff were great and very accommodating and great security as you need a room card for everything. Perfect location and the restaurant next door is amazing value with very tasty food!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your review. Delighted that you have read the can and benefited from the concept, because we do what we say on it. We look forward to offering our hospitality again.