“Excellent Location”

Ranked #57 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Chorley, United Kingdom
“Excellent Location”
Reviewed 3 June 2013

This hotel had an excellent location for walking around the city centre. However there were a few points that knocked it from being a 1st class hotel. 1. There was only one uk socket in the room, at one point we needed an iron, phone charging and hairdryer and had to take turns. 2. If you were in the room with the curtains open you could be seen by anyone walking down the corridor, we ended up with the curtains drawn and no natural light just so we could feel at ease. 3. Free WiFi, but none of us could get a connection. On the plus side the rooms were very clean and the decoration was excellent. Also the staff were friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Pinckney, Michigan
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Beautiful, modern, clean room. VERY close to all major attractions. Airlink bus 100 literally drops you feet from the door. Everything we were looking for. Quiet, organized well. Staff were very helpful an friendly. Americans beware however- there are 2 duvets on a double bed, not one large one like we are used to. Not very conducive to couply snuggling.

Adelaide
Reviewed 2 June 2013

This hotel is located within walking distance of the train station and a street behind the Royal Mile and other attractions.

The hotel is modern and fitted with good quality, German appliances. The hotel is tastefully decorated with a minimalist feel.

The Front Desk staff upon check in were efficient however not overly friendly, however at other times during our stay other front desk staff were very friendly.

My parents had a room on the same floor and had some problems with the television which was attended to immediately.

The temperature in the room did not allow you to turn it up to adequately warm the rooms which could be a problem in the winter months. There were no dressing gowns in the rooms but as it is Motel One this might not be part of their service.

Overall we had a good stay at the hotel and would consider again should we return to Edinburgh.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Stayed here on an overnight trip to the university for a short course. The hotel is ideally situated adjacent to the end of the AIRLINK airport bus route as well as the 41 bus to the University of Edinburgh Kings Buildings. Staff kindly let me store a bag until the evening and gave me the correct change needed for the buses in Edinburgh, all within the 10 minutes I had to get from the airport bus onto the uni bus. The room was comfortable and well decorated. The bathroom furnishings were spotlessly clean and the shower was very spacious. There is also WiFi, although I once I logged in the data rate was so slow I gave up - for the short time I was there though, this didn't matter. Only issue I had was an afternoon nap was hindered by noise from next door. I would definitely use this hotel again for a budget stop in Edinburgh!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I found Motel One just by chance ... it wasn't my planned hotel but it ticked all the right boxes ..cheap enough and within walking distance of the train station .... close to shops and some of the places we planned on visiting ... we were not disappointed .. literally a stones throw from the rail station walking into the hotel I was surprised at how modern and bright it was ... reception were very helpful friendly and polite check in was over in minutes and we declined the opportunity of having continental breakfast at a charge of £7..50 as my daughter of 8 was also to be charged full price and found the fact I would pay £30 for continental breakfasts a bit steep ( though I will say I have heard the breakfasts were very nice ) but for some reason on holidays my daughter thinks its compulsory to have bacon and sausage ect ... so we had our breakfasts out and we enjoyed both places we chose ...
Our room ..310.. was very satisfactory very modern clean quiet warm and light ... not over looking the front it was very quiet with a queen bed ( I was late booking so couldn't get a twin ) but found it very clean and the bed was ever so comfortable I slept like a baby .. not much in the way of drawers or space to hang clothes .. a couple of coat hangers and a few shelves no drawers or wardrobe as such ... but we managed well enough ...shower room fab with couple small sample shampoos ... no coffee tea facilities in the room but is available from reception for a returnable deposit of £10.. again I didn't mind this but struggled a bit carrying it to my room with all my other shopping and bags ...
Talking of shopping bags ... shops galore all within walking distance ... souveneir shops ... chain shops .. shopping malls ... restaurants coffeeshops ( special mention for Patisserie Valerie ) traditional pubs ..everything all close at hand ..
places of interest ..well everywhere is easily accessible with buses taxis and trains all at hand ..lots within walking distance too ...though take decent shoes as we walked miles and climbed more steps and banks that we could really of done with a better pair of walking shoes rather than our trainers .. but our hotel was waiting for us on our return and smiling faces await to welcome our return ....
We all want something different from our hotels when we stay places .. if you want luxury and room service you may be disappointed ..but the price reflects that ... so instead you get a fab room to stay in with clean modern facilities a bed that is so comfortable ... and to me that's all I needed for a base for my daughter and I to explore Edinburgh and we will be back because ..yes .. it ticked the boxes that we needed ...

Room Tip: our room 310 was on the 3rd floor with access by the lift it was far enough from the lift and set at...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank wendy t
Bristol
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Took a punt on booking this new hotel a few weeks before it had even opened. Delighted we did. Excellent location, right at the foot of Market Street where it meets Waverley Bridge. Very good value and an excellent room with friendly service. Okay, so it's new and you'd expect everything to work smoothly, and as it's Motel One's first UK venture they'll be making an extra effort. But it certainly pays off.

Some have said on here the rooms are a bit small. Our double was roomy enough, though I guess if we'd planned to practise ballroom dancing we'd have struggled.

We took breakfast one of our three days, and at £7.50 each for a very well presented and good quality buffet we were glad we did.

This was a great find in a beautiful city.

Room Tip: Our room looked out on to Waverley Bridge, but wasn't noisy at all
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights at a cost of £99 per night including continental breakfast for two. The hotel is lovely don't get me wrong and I would stay here again however I was disappointed with the room (401) we were given purely because of the view which was a Brickwall from two windows and scaffolding from the third, so the curtains stayed closed and as such the lighting was dim. We only discovered on the day that the breakfast was continual having hoped the extra at £99 rather then £84 for the room would have been for a Cooked Scottish Breakfast so this was a let down. Infact there appeared to be many places doing breakfast around nearby so would probably do that next time. Staff helped us get our boarding pass printed off on thir computers. The hotel is next to Waverley bridge which is ideal for the Airlink bus. Great location, hit/miss room views but efficiency from a German Hotel.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple