“Great hotel but...”

Motel One Edinburgh-Royal
Ranked #51 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We stayed here at the recommendation of a friend.

Great location - handy to everything, including being just across the road from the airport buses and Waverly Station.

Hotel was very nice, modern decor, our room was huge and the shower was fantastic.

The only downside was we were allocated "Cockburn Street Rooms". To get to our roon we had to go to level 5 then down a flight of stairs to get back onto level 4. To get to reception we had to get the lift back up to level 5 walk through a maze of corridors to find the lift that took you to reception on the mezzanine level. No big deal to some but I found it all rather tedious.

Check-out was midday, we had got up and went to do a tour and get something to eat and returned to collect our already packed bags at around 11:50/55. We returned to find our keycards locked. I then had to go back to reception - again, up a floor and back to find the other lift that took me to reception.... this took me more than 5 minutes. When I got to reception and informed the girl our room was locked she told me "yes, well check-out is at midday". We had arrived at our room BEFORE midday and the rooms were already locked. Then it was a camel-track back to reception to speak to someone about it.

I would stay here again but only if they could guarantee that I wouldn't be staying in a Cockburn Street room - because other than that and being locked out - the hotel was absolutely fine.

Room Tip: Make sure you aren't in a Cockburn Street room!!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank LouLaBelle1891
Write a ReviewReviews (2,376)

Reviewed 9 December 2013

located just across the street from waverly station and approx. 30 seconds from airlink airport bus with combination of the cozy decor of the interior and really kind staff (thanks to simeon for nice welcome) makes this property my only choice for whenever i may come back!

Room Tip: buy the breakfast, it's really rich and tasty!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 December 2013

The hotel is located less than a 5 minute walk from Waverly train station. It is also very centrally located and there are at least half a dozen pubs within 2 minute walk and lots more within a 10 minute walk. The rooms are decent sized (bigger) compared to other hotels; very clean and fresh towels provided. They don't have an in room phone, though. Just a heads up for those dependent on wake up calls from the front desk. btw, the airport bus also leaves right across from the train station so that's very convenient as well.

I didn't dine at the restaurant or have breakfast but it looked good. The ambience of the bar area is very nice. For the price they charge, you cannot go wrong with booking this hotel!

Room Tip: Try getting a room facing the street for a nicer view!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank starrynight144
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I booked this hotel in August as part of a birthday trip to Endingbugh for my partner. I can’t honestly remember why I chose the hotel it may have been the price? Firstly the location is excellent if you arrive in the beautiful city by train the motel one couldn’t be closer it a very short walk on to Market street and then across the road less than five minutes.
We arrived just after 12.00 so asked to leave our bags but were very plesently surprised to be able to check into our room. The room was a reasonable size and very clean. The bathroom was well fitted out with shower and was as clean as the room. The bed was very comfy.
We stayed for three nights and the room was spot less clean every day and then checked by the duty manager. All the staff was very friendly and helpful.
The best thing is the location the old town is easy to walk to as is the rest of the city a great base for exploring.
I didn’t think the price was any more expensive than anywhere else I stayed. I will stay here next visit!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BEN K
Reviewed 2 December 2013

My daughter,grand-daughter and myself stayed in this motel. It is literally 5 minutes from Waverely Station. Staff were very helpful,rooms spotless,beds comfortable and shower hot. The rooms are not large by any stretch of the imagination but we three slept well. Rooms are rather warm but windows do open.Breakfast was included in our deal,it is buffet style,but plenty of it and no hurry. There was someone on hand if you needed anything. This is a very restful motel,check out was not till mid-day. We left our luggage to go shopping then picked it up just before 2pm. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights. Couldn't believe how perfect the location is. Hotel is fresh and welcoming. Rooms are immaculately clean and the room is a decent enough size for a city hotel room. Only downside is that the room is quite room to the point of being uncomfortable and there seemed to be no way to control the temperature. Would definitely recommend this hotel to people and would definitely stay again

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Absolutley terrible hotel from the offset looked brilliant when we arrived we got out in a room that I wouldn't even put my dog in it was that small we went for my partners birthday weekend away and requested queen size beds when we arrived 2 single beds were pushed together and classed as a king size I then proceeded to take a shower when someone decided to just let themselves in my room then when I shouted my partners name thinking it was her the then quickly went out closing the door behind them the view from the room was horrendous we had to close the curtains because it was that close to the adjacent building they could see straight in our room it was about 2 feet apart I then complained asking to speak to the management who didn't really speak very good English and felt like my complaint fell on deaf ears eventually when I went down I got a room change to a family room with the bed I requested in the first place all beds no matter double or queen have single blankets its a worrying fact if you do not hang a disturb sign outside your door housekeeping will just let themselves in never stay here again rather pay the extra and stay at the balmoral or a proper hotel

• Stayed: November 2013