“Excellent location, quality price”

Motel One Edinburgh-Royal
Ranked #57 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Ashton-under-Lyne, United Kingdom
“Excellent location, quality price”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed on a weekend trip to Edinburgh.

Wasnt expecting much at the price we paid, but very surprised.

Basic hotel, but very clean, although you can get a little lost as its a very large building.

For car parking we pre payed to park at Waverley Station, which is two minutes to the hotel from the car park, and if you travel by train the station is less than a minute to the hotel.

We didnt spend much time in the room, but sleep quality was top notch, would stop here again at the drop of a hat.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank John_Oliver_1982

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

I was really dubious about booking this hotel...in all honestly I think it was the 'Motel' part that put me off, but I couldn't have been more wrong. I've stayed in Edinburgh many times and tend to head to the same hotels, but thought id branch out and since it was £69 for myself and my daughter to stay (this also made me dubious as that's extremely cheap for a Saturday night stay in Edinburgh!)

The hotel was extremely clean, staff were so friendly, beautiful decor, spacious hotel room...I really can't fault it in any way...I guess the only thing missing from our room was a view, but if like me you don't book hotels to stay in it all night and look out the window, then it's fine.

A really excellent stay and I'm already planning my next stay!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank onlythebrave
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

My friend and I stayed here for a few days last week ..we both had double rooms and they were really nice .. the staff were really caring and courteous always enquiring if we were fine and had everything we needed .. barman at night was very helpful .friendly and efficient .. Loved the location loads of eating places on the doorstep .. very clean hotel and while not luxurious it was perfect for sightseeing ..shopping and relaxing ..we both enjoyed our stay ..

Room Tip: Rooms are overlooked but you are in town centre ...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Carlisle Cumbria
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Very clean, very smart, very friendly and proffessional staff, superb location and all at a great price. Can't see us looking elsewhere in Edinburgh. All very new in a very pretty building. Stepped out of the train station and we were here. Can' t get much more central. Lounge/bar great for a last drink at after 2am. Room classy, not large but got everything you need including euro electric socket for continental guests. Set up for German visitors so everything as it should be. Fancy trying the others now

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

I vowed never to post a review of any of my hotel stays but after a recent stay I felt I had to share my experience.

On arrival the hotel looked cracking but scratch the surface and there are some obvious flaws.

Location just down from the Royal Mile was excellent.

Breakfast was a poor continental. I believe the hotel is part of a German chain, who just don't seem to get it when it comes to the English and a cooked breakfast, even the French with Ibis saw the error of there ways and added hot options.

The choice of food and drink was non existant, luckily theres loads of pubs on the way up to the Royal Mile for a proper drink and one or two do a proper breakfast for £5.

The rooms were stylish but very small. We had a twin room, but I do expect the beds to be made on arrival (After a long day I want to jump into bed and sleep not make it!!) and they are so close together you might as well have a double duvet.

The shower room was very smart but I couldnt get past marks on the inside of the toilet bowl left by the previous occupant. Thats just disgusting.

Sorry it wasnt a great review but it isnt as great as the reviews on here says it is looking at the reviews

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank craftiecockney
moaltona, General Manager at Motel One Edinburgh-Royal, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to send us back your feedback,

It is important to us that every guest has an enjoyable and comfortable stay with us and I am sorry that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations. Your feedback is appreciated and helps us maintain and improve the service we provide.

We are disappointed that Motel One has not been able to meet your standards, we have taken all your points on aboard and will review especially the breakfast and bar menu.
In regards to the cleanliness of your bathroom, this is not up to Motel One standards and we will investigate further, as you can see from other reviews our hotel has a high ratings for our cleanliness.

We would like to thank you once again for your feedback and hope that we can welcome you back to prove that this is not Motel One standards.

Kind Regards

Mr Ronny Wittmann
Hotel Manager
Forres, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2014

The hotel is basic and meant to be, that is the chain style. However, for a short stay it will be very hard to beat in Edinburgh with its central location, friendly staff, high standard of cleanliness and keen price.
Great to hear they are opening another one on Princes Street!

Room Tip: Not all rooms have a view over Edinburgh - ask!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I stayed here with a mate for 3 nights in October 2013. It was a very new feeling inside and the room was clean, modern, and enough room for 2 people. The wifi was good and the location is superb - right near the main train station and also 1 minute walk to the airport shuttle bus. You can walk to Edinburgh Castle and most of the tourist shops. Also plenty of restaurants, cafes, bars to choose from.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends