“Pleasant surprise”

Ranked #54 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Princeton, New Jersey
“Pleasant surprise”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

My daughter & I recently spent one night at the Motel One Edinburgh-Royal when we were in Scotland scouting out universities. We chose to stay at this particular hotel because of its proximity to the airport bus, which we needed to catch early the following morning. We could not have been happier with our decision. We stayed in a "room with a view", which as it turned out looked out at the airport bus stop (among other things, including a quaint, steep staircase leading up to the Royal Mile). While the hotel lobby and rooms have a modern look, the building itself appears to be a conglomeration of old and new. Our cool-looking (and very clean) room was well-designed to include all of the the "necessaries" in a relatively small space. Beds were comfortable. We did not eat breakfast at the hotel (not included in the reasonable rate), but as the hotel is so centrally located (although a tad difficult to find...), many alternative eating options would be available to the traveller staying here if you chose not to pay extra for their buffet breakfast.

Room Tip: Pay a bit extra for a room with a view, on a higher floor
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank twinssing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Pudsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Having just checked out I can honestly say this hotel is great.
Fantastic location. The room was on the small side but very clean and the bed was very cosy.
The bathroom had an excellent shower with nice white fluffy towels.
The staff are very friendly and helpful.
I can say for sure the next time we are in Edinburgh we would stay here again.
From now on if I'm going on a city break I will be looking for a motel one.

Room Tip: Fifth floor room with a city view
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Stayed one night last week:
- good bedding
- good shower pressure
- very friendly staff (Polish, Finnish, English)
- great location (near historic sites and RIGHT next to the bus stop from airport)
- great price
Window curtains very effective and view was also good!
Used iron and ironing board which I had to carry myself to the room, but whatever - worked fine.
(wasn't able to judge climate control as season was perfect for sleeping so didn't need to make adjustments).

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My husband and I had a comfortable stay at Motel One in Edinburgh on Market Street just yards away from Waverley rail station, but quiet thanks to double glazing inside the original single glazed windows. We had a room with a view as promised, the room and ensuite were not large but were clean, comfortable and well fitted out. Just a couple of anomalies; no hand soap was provided (just hair/body wash), and there was no power outlet in a suitable place to plug in the kettle! We had to use a seat against the wall by the plug. The continental breakfast was very good and the staff friendly and helpful. The hotel is very close to the Royal Mile and was a great base for a short visit.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NCLSacharissa
Ashton-under-Lyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed on a weekend trip to Edinburgh.

Wasnt expecting much at the price we paid, but very surprised.

Basic hotel, but very clean, although you can get a little lost as its a very large building.

For car parking we pre payed to park at Waverley Station, which is two minutes to the hotel from the car park, and if you travel by train the station is less than a minute to the hotel.

We didnt spend much time in the room, but sleep quality was top notch, would stop here again at the drop of a hat.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank John_Oliver_1982
Glasgow
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

I was really dubious about booking this hotel...in all honestly I think it was the 'Motel' part that put me off, but I couldn't have been more wrong. I've stayed in Edinburgh many times and tend to head to the same hotels, but thought id branch out and since it was £69 for myself and my daughter to stay (this also made me dubious as that's extremely cheap for a Saturday night stay in Edinburgh!)

The hotel was extremely clean, staff were so friendly, beautiful decor, spacious hotel room...I really can't fault it in any way...I guess the only thing missing from our room was a view, but if like me you don't book hotels to stay in it all night and look out the window, then it's fine.

A really excellent stay and I'm already planning my next stay!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank onlythebrave
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

My friend and I stayed here for a few days last week ..we both had double rooms and they were really nice .. the staff were really caring and courteous always enquiring if we were fine and had everything we needed .. barman at night was very helpful .friendly and efficient .. Loved the location loads of eating places on the doorstep .. very clean hotel and while not luxurious it was perfect for sightseeing ..shopping and relaxing ..we both enjoyed our stay ..

Room Tip: Rooms are overlooked but you are in town centre ...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends