“Great choice... with one caveat”

Motel One Edinburgh-Royal
Ranked #54 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Houston, Texas
“Great choice... with one caveat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Spent two nights in this hotel on a weekend jaunt to Edinburgh from London with my husband and mother. Its very nerve-racking going on-line to select a hotel in a city you have never been to (I cannot imagine what people did before internet), but I could not have picked better. The location cannot be beat, especially if you take the train (you literally walk out of the station and there is the hotel on the corner); you are in the old town, which I loved, and a short walk to the Royal Mile and castle. I usually prefer one-offs to chains, but with mother along played it safe; the rooms and showers were brand new, contemporary, and immaculate. The breakfast was plentiful. Really appreciated being able to store bags before catching train out. Reception/bar with all the windows a fabulous place to unwind and people watch. My one disappointment was, I did not realize when I booked the "standard room" this meant our rooms did not have a window, only a skylight, which really gave me the willies, was claustrophobic, and made me feel less than safe in the event of a fire. Felt it should have been clearer what standard meant, but perhaps I did not read the room description carefully enough. For that, I gave this hotel a 4 rather than a 5. Will stay here again, definitely, but spring for a better room. Only other negatives were with the (apparently new) young bartender, who kept insisting our US MasterCard did not work there and that we had to pay cash. It finally became really irritating having to reload on cash just to have happy hour cocktails and nightcaps, so finally got it sorted out at the front desk. Unfortunately, you cannot charge to your room, which was most inconvenient. Also, he said he could not make any of the cocktails in the cocktail menu, which was bizarre. And yes, the plug situation is less than ideal. My husband used the one closest to the desk for charging, so I made coffee on the floor next to the bed, lol. And bring your own soap….

Room Tip: If you are claustrophobic, make sure you get a room with a window!!!!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Sherrie F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Muir of Ord, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Maybe we were unfortunate with our room, but I did not feel this room was worth £104/night without breakfast!! I've had better Premier Inns. When I booked the room I selected a room with no view as it was slightly cheaper (£10-15/night), didn't realise we would be looking onto a concrete wall!!! Every time we opened our window for some fresh air, our room would be intoxicated by second hand cigarette smoke (which lingered in our room). Must be in line with the hotel staffs smoking area. Anyway, it wasn't our intention to spend much time in our room, so i tried to not let the little things bug me. However there are a few things I feel I need to comment on - so negatives - pricey with no extras, lack of plug sockets, only two our room! Found it strange that our kettle was not near a plug socket. We had to move a seat under the plug socket to sit the kettle on - very strange and unsafe! Only one pillow per person. No option to upgrade - hotel full. Positives - comfy bed, cleanliness, great location, friendly staff, nice modern bathroom, good shower, nice reception area. Did not have breakfast so cannot comment. Would return if we got a room with a view at a better rate. We spoke with another couple who were delighted with their room (but they had a view).

Room Tip: Pay that little extra and pay for a room with a view.
2 Thank Jemba_83
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

having read a lot of the reviews on here I had pretty mixed feelings but I have to say.. what a pleasant stay we had check in was quick and simple as we had arrived early they looked after our cases whilst we went exploring. Before hand I had asked for a room not to far away from the exit has I have disabilities and was given a really spacious room with a massive bathroom with disabled people in mind and wonderful views over The Scots monument and The Balmoral. Nothing was to much trouble the staff were always smiling.. The hotel was situated close for everything 2 mins from train station taxis and tour buses. 10=20 minute walk to the castle I would highly recommend this hotel in every way and when we come back we will stay there again

Cardiff, Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Absolutely love Edinburgh, the architecture is stunning, a bit eerie in places, and in certain areas it reminded me of scenes from Harry Potter, little did I know that JK Rowling wrote HP at a cafe in Edinburgh. OK, the hotel is clean, there's a lot of turquoise about the place, so don't wear turquoise if you don't want to be mistaken for staff :-), it's in a perfect location, very central.
If you get the bus from the airport, it's 30 mins to the centre and the hotel is just outside.
They offer a continental breakfast, that was ok too.
Would I stay there again? Yes, location, location, location.

Palo Alto, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Plusses: this hotel is two short blocks from the Waverly Bridge Airlink bus. It's close to the train station, the bus station, and the starting point for Rabbies tours. I chose this hotel for its great location for launching from Edinburgh. The rooms are clean if small, and the bathroom is nice and new. The staff is very pleasant.
Caution: If you hit Edinburgh during a sunny spell, be aware that this place has no a/c. What a shocker for a hotel that charges $189 a night! I went to the front desk to say our air conditioning didn't work, and they said there was none! They also said it's a new place and they are hoping to install it soon. Our room had a window that opened a few inches--not enough fresh air. However, a nice staff person came in and unlocked the window so it could be nice and wide, letting in air but creating an accessible open window. We chose fresh air over security that night, and nothing was stolen.

Room Tip: If you are visiting during the summer and want to open a window, I recommend being on the 2nd or 3rd...
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

I was staying in Edinburgh for business and decided to stay here. Thankfully it was a simple two minute walk from Edinburgh Waverley train station, always a bonus on a warm, humid Edinburgh day!
Check-in was fine, a little slow, but I think that was more the guests being slow rather than the check-in staff, who when I got the the front of the queue, they were fast and efficient.
My room was on the third floor, and was a room with a 'view', which was a little disappointing as it was really just over the railway lines and over the Princes Street. Not so sure what the rooms without a view are like, so I can't really say if it was worth the extra money I paid.
The rooms are simple, clean and spacious with clean bathrooms - everything you need really.
I had a good sleep, bed was comfortable and warm, and there was no noise from the other rooms or doors that I heard.
The public areas, like the bar and entry way, were clean and welcoming, although I didn't have my breakfast there, so I am not sure how busy it was at breakfast time.
I would definitely stay here again, it is such a good location and pretty good value for money,

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Gosport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

You can't really beat the location of this hotel. It's 2 mins walk from the Airport bus stop and Waverley station, convenient for the old and new town and yet it is surprisingly quiet. The hotel chain is German. I hadn't heard of it before I booked. Everything in the hotel is new and really clean and the staff are very pleasant. The continental breakfast (£7.50 extra) is very good - fruit salad, fruit juice, croissants, rolls, toast, cereals, slices of cheese and cold meats, hard boiled eggs etc. The pub round the corner offers a full English (yes, English!) for I think £6.50.
On the down side, the rooms may not have been very well thought out. A kettle is provided but to plug it in I had to move the table/desk to stand it on. There are no drawers or cupboards so although you're not likely to leave anything behind, it's not ideal for a long stay. Hanging space is very limited. There are a few shelves for clothes. Also there was no bedside table which was irritating. No solid soap is provided only liquid body wash/shampoo.
Would I stay here again? I'd say possibly, but I might shop around for something a bit cheaper.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo