“Great food, shame about the hypothermia”
Review of The Blue Bear

The Blue Bear
Ranked #169 of 2,626 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$3 - US$11
Cuisines: Cafe, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The friendly all-day breakfast and brunch cafe-bar with a ping pong table! Fresh, high quality and locally sourced food always served with a smile.
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I recently met a friend of mine at The Blue Bear for lunch. We both had the half soup/half sandwich option. Both were very good - the soup was hot and the sandwich was obviously freshly made, the staff are friendly and attentive although not overbearing BUT it was freezing!

It was a very cold day and every time someone came in or went out there was a blast of icy cold air that swept through the whole of the cafe. I had to sit with my coat around my shoulders.

I will be back but not until the summertime!

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Had a big birthday recently and asked the nice people at the Bear if they would host my private party. My guest and I are glad that I did!
I had some very positive planning meetings and was met with a can-do-attitude throughout. We settled on a lovely menu and the food was absolutely fabulous. All my guests raved about the food on the night and I've had many comments about how great everything was since then. The Café was made really lovely and cosy for the evening and we had great service throughout. Some of my more energetic guests availed themselves at the option to play table tennis after the dinner. Luckily this was optional as many were 'stuffed' with the lovely food :-D
The café dog was well-behaved and no trouble at all.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

On the customer service and food front, my children and I enjoyed the croissants, coffee and hot chocolates. However, I was surprised to find a dog in a cage in the cafe! Obviously my two children, who are four and three, were totally drawn to the dog but I was asked to make sure they didn't go near the cage because the dog was trying to sleep.
I think it might be worth considering not having a dog in a cafe, not just for hygiene reasons but also if you expect people with children not to go near the dog, I think you will find this a difficult thing to control.

3  Thank Pamsy17
Ben G, Owner at The Blue Bear, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2014

Thanks for taking the time to review us - I've been giving thought as to how to respond to this review, as you've given us an average rating not because of our food or service, but because we have a dog in our cafe. I want to make it clear that we are a dog friendly venue, and as such it's our prerogative to have our own dog in the cafe with us. During hours of service our dog is in a crate in a corner of the cafe that is not used by customers and where customers have no reason to be in. After all, we respect the fact that many customers may not want to meet our dog. Indeed the area of the cafe that we keep her in is 'her space' during the day and is a place where she is calm and happy. I do remember you guys from yesterday and I also remember asking kindly and politely if the kids wouldn't mind leaving the dog in peace. We have the dog situated where she is so that she can be left alone, and also so that she doesn't bother customers.
I want to reiterate that we are a dog friendly cafe, but also mention that when managed correctly there are no negative implications in terms of hygiene for letting dogs come in the cafe. We have absolutely the highest standards of cleanliness and hygiene.
Overall we're really disappointed with this review - you enjoyed your time here, were looked after well, and enjoyed your food. We really appreciate your custom, and do hope you'll be back. However the dog will still be here!

Reviewed 23 January 2014

I have bought takeaway breakfast rolls from here on a few occasions now. Consistently good service, the staff are very friendly and the food is fantastic.

Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

Visited the cafe when it was taken over and it was and is a friendly place with great customer service. I would have classed the coffee then as not bad. Today I had a great flat white and went back for a second! Good to have another place I can recommend for coffee. The standard in Edinburgh is getting so much better, so hopefully the poor quality coffee chains market will shrink!

I also had their scrambled egg and salmon. Big thumbs up, especially as the eggs had been slow scrambled and were moist and creamy without being sloppy. A happy customer who will be back!